Large Scale Central

Letter From NMRA President Charlie Getz

This is from the June 2014 NMRA Bulletin:

A lot of what he says I agree with and have for sometime.

Your comments:

The Millenials

We hear a lot about the demise of model railroading and/or the end of the NMRA in the chat rooms. Pundits have been predicting the end of our world for many years. Heck, in the 1950s, the rise of plastic kits was seen as dooming craftsman kits and the entire hobby. Editorials were written on the subject. Somehow, we survived and indeed, our golden age in terms of numbers, was not achieved until the 1970-80’s.

Today, we face a more serious challenge - the aging of the hobby. I believe the average age of an NMRA member is 63. For Life Members, 67. This is touted as proof of our demise. I even used to joke about that, plotting the age progression on a chart (it is not linear, meaning it does not increase 1 year for 1 year) to establish the End of Model Railroading on January 15, 2037. A fictitious date.

Well, some hobbies have disappeared. In the 1940’s, tethered gasoline powered miniature race cars were so popular, pre-RMC “Model Craftsman” magazine dedicated a section to them. Gone. But not really. Morphed into RC cars and boats.

Studies show all hobbies are aging. It is more a function of changing times and technologies. The Millennials have been studied as the first true digital generation and supposedly, our future. Well, guess what? We have a stiff climb ahead. Millennials as a group do not embrace delayed gratification activities. Golf is aging. Too many rules, too hard to master. The PGA is worried.

Other studies show that Millennials do not join groups so Rotary, Elks and Chambers of Commerce are also aging.

The image we have of the self-absorbed, non-social, always texting Millennial is overly-broad but has a grain of truth. For this generation never knew analog or the very technology we take for granted. Raised in a digital age, they embrace an era of rapid change, instant gratification and independent sources of information. To them, “cloud” has a whole different meaning and the Internet holds all truths.

I am not belittling this generation; far from it. They are our grandkids and help me master my new iPad Air and Kindle. Nicer folks you will never meet.

But into building analog kits or scratchbuilding? The delayed gratification of a layout? Joining the NMRA to attend meetings? A tough challenge.

My answer is not to give up but also not to work fruitlessly against the tide. Each generation rebels against the excesses of the previous. I am hopeful the post-Millenials will actually reach out to do what their parents abhorred. Until then, I see a more friutful albeit temporary hope in reaching out to Boomers with the time and money to adopt a hobby. While they will not extend our ultimate age limit, they may buy us time for that post-Millennial generation to find our hobby and maybe find us as well.

Pollyanna? No. I see that generation’s eyes light up with Thomas and Brio and Lego. Come to Cleveland and the NMRA National Convention. Come to the National Train Show and watch the reaction to the Lego exhibit or Thomas. Let’s go after that generation while they are formative and not compete with Apple, Google, Facebook and Twitter.

My thoughts, what are yours?

Charlie Getz

I see alot and I mean ALOT of kids who love trains at the shows I display at, so I think theres still hope and you can thank Thomas and friends for that, Nothing the NMRA or the manufacturers have done so far beyond Bachmann offering the Thomas lineup.

Tethered gas powered cars is not dead, there are lots of tracks still operating. But yea, its a niche hobby.

But, I agree, lots of hobbies are dying, or struggling to get new members. There are lots of factors here. I can speak to my own experiences. One with attempting to find out about NARCOA, and possibly purchase a speeder. I emailed and called the local contact and was greeted in both cases with a “If you dont know, we really dont want you to join attitude”. After a couple of attempts I said “screw it” and moved on.

As far as groups like the Elks, Rotary, etc, their public image isnt helping them. Again, its a “if you dont know, you dont want to join”, combined with their outward appearance (at least around here) of being drinking clubs, they arent attracting any new members.

That said, I think for RRing to continue, we need some way to get kids involved, not just “Hey, look at my neat trains” at shows. I’m not sure what that is, though.

Ric Golding has the right idea, put the throttle in the kids hands. I’ve done that, and had a line of twenty kids, waiting their turn.

Bob McCown said:

That said, I think for RRing to continue, we need some way to get kids involved, not just “Hey, look at my neat trains” at shows. I’m not sure what that is, though.

A good start is the approach mentioned in the April 2014 GR “Built for operation” article. Subversion happens neighbourhood by neighbourhood.

I’ve written about this in other posts, but having grown up in this hobby for nearly 40 years, I’ve not really seen the demographics shift all that much. Somehow–almost miraculously–the teens and 20-somethings that couldn’t care less about model trains somehow manage to find time for them once they reach their 40s or 50s. Maybe it’s the influence of their own kids, or just spare time, or that old football injury not letting them toss the pigskin around they way they used to.

Trains’ influence on our lives today are more pop-culture than utilitarian. We don’t ride trains to get from point A to point B anymore, but we haven’t in 50 years. Kids today know of trains from Lego sets, TV shows, etc. There’s still something magical about a train that captures the imagination, and I imagine there always will be. When my kids’ friends come over, they’re fascinated by my back yard, even not having parents themselves who are into trains. Growing up, it was very much the same with my friends in my back yard. I just re-connected with a childhood friend on Facebook who is building a train set for his kid, and told me he always remembered the trains in my back yard as a kid. He was never involved in the hobby growing up, and I don’t think he ever had more than a train under the tree, if that. But later in life, with the right environment, the seed that was planted begins to take root.

That having been said, we in this hobby do not do ourselves any favors by closing our social groups to newcomers. Seeds taking root, and saplings growing into trees are two different things. Bob hit it on the head. There’s a mindset in many groups that you need to be fully informed on everything before you can join. We see it here from time to time when a newcomer signs up and starts asking questions. (And this forum is hardly unique in that regard.) I often think the discussion shouldn’t be “what can we do to promote the hobby,” but “what can we do to avoid shooting ourselves in the foot?”

Our behavior towards newcomers is quite often the biggest influence on whether people stick around or take off. The biggest thing we can do is to work to make sure whatever our responses here, or at the local clubs, or shows, or wherever we interact with others, is centered around inclusiveness. Often on forums like this, we’re quick to answer a basic question with “use the search function and you’ll find a bunch of topics.” Or at a train show, all the club members are along the back wall hiding behind the power packs talking about their latest projects instead of working the ropes interacting with the viewers. Perhaps those aren’t the most “inclusive” responses. On a forum, if you’re tired of a question, simply don’t post a response. Someone else in the community will likely jump on board with an answer. At shows, get out and work the ropes. Let the viewing public hear about your latest projects as well as your fellow club members. You never know what kind of interest you’re going to stir.

We will never be able to make people do anything. We can’t wave our magic wand and get people to flock to the train store to buy trains. It’s not necessarily about planting the seeds, it’s more about fertilizing things once they start to grow. “Go away, kid, you’re bothering me” is the surest path to a lonely life and even lonelier death.

Later,

K

Na. End of the world ain’t here. The world may look different than it did, but it ain’t over till it’s over.

Elks, Rotary’s etc-------All a bunch of senile old geezers. What young man wants to hang out with those opinionated guys?

Our club, for the most part, is made up of retirees and one token youngster.

Even handing the throttle to the lineup of kids at a show doesn’t attract them further, Steve. Otherwise we would see them at a meeting, maybe. Sure it’s fun to run train: even ramp it up to warp speed, (that most of them want to do). But then it’s back to the game console.

When I go to an HO club open house near me, the operators are middle age to elderly. Our local Railroad Historical Society consists of older men.

Maybe it’s the cost of our hobby that attracts us retired guys. Kids are gone, house paid for, we have the funds to play a little.

A Hot Rod club that my Dad was in in the 50’s is still in existence in our area. All the members are retired old grey hairs.

And so on…

I agree, JB, handing a kid the throttle doesn’t attract them further, but it does plant the seed. Isn’t that what this thread is about, planting the seed? The garden show just might be the only exposure to the hobby these kids have. If all we do is yell at them to “Get back,” how inviting is that?

A seed needs water and nutrients to grow.

OK I’ll join the doom and gloom club: It’s raining buckets and I won’t be able to check-off my To-Do list.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

OK I’ll join the doom and gloom club: It’s raining buckets and I won’t be able to check-off my To-Do list.

Kinda windy down here.

Beautiful day in Oklahoma. We’re setting up the modules for an event in Claremore tonight.

Just a thought. My experience is that we older folks have learned how to learn about a topic that interests us by doing a little research and then spending time talking with those that have the experience and answers we are seeking, e.g, going to meetings, shows and joining clubs. I would argue that this approach is our generation’s equivalent to todays Internet. The Millennials have learned that technology, via the Internet, can give them the information they seek faster and more complete than investing in the extended social interactions via meetings and clubs. They just aren’t used to joining clubs talking with others to get information. They can ‘google’ something and get more accurate info and faster using their technology. I believe that Steve’s point about ‘putting the throttle in their hands’ is a clue. We need to get them involved and, above all, show them that joining a club or developing relationships with other modelers is the way to ‘enjoy the hobby’ and not just a way to answer their questions.

Kevin said
“Or at a train show, all the club members are along the back wall hiding behind the power packs talking about their latest projects instead of working the ropes interacting with the viewers… At shows, get out and work the ropes. Let the viewing public hear about your latest projects as well as your fellow club members. You never know what kind of interest you’re going to stir.”

Kevin, that is one of things that amazed me with the NMRA group I belong to. Heck, most of the times, they don’t even run trains at the shows. I think that is why the club president actively recruited me. The NMRA group and the other group I belong to teamed up for a show once. He saw how, not only do I run trains for hours on end, I am also personable and will talk to anyone and everyone that shows an interest in the layout.

I think planting the seed is what we are doing and need to keep doing. The 20 somethings are going to collage or tech school, and starting careers and families. They don’t have the time nor funds to seriously get into the hobby. But when their kids are in their 20s, and starting their adult lives, then they have time and funds for other pursuits.

In the introduction section on the forum I moderate, I have not seen any 20 somethings post. But I see many late 40’s, 50, 60 and 70 somethings posting. They have “come back” to the hobby, because they now have the time and funds. Or now they have grand-kids and want to share with them the thrill of a model railroad, like they had when they saw someones model railroad when they were a kid. So from my limited viewpoint, I dont see the hobby dying, or growing old. I just see that older people keep joining the hobby. If that trend continues, then the avarage age of a model railroader wont change much, and the hobby will continue.

Most of the previous posts have some points in them that rings a bell.

Actually one of the principal reasons most large scale railroaders are 50+ in years is that they have usually reached the point in life where they have TIME. There are always exceptions of course.

Life starts to slow somewhat - generally speaking - and there seem to be less demands on our leisure time. We have all been through the stage, as youngsters, where there has been so much to so and learn and we have moved in and out of a few interesting pastimes. This often halts when a young lady arrives on the scene. After that it a wife and kids, for most guys, plus their career, vocation or work which ever they choose.

I know I certainly had little time for garden railroading before I took life more easier. lol

Another big factor, I am sure, is the first folks you encounter who are already in the hobby. Most of the guys here, I am sure, would be very encouraging to any newcomer, but many here can relate some tale where interested people were just ignored, put off, or even encountered hostility. There is the person, whom I encountered, that insisted I followed his railroading path. I didn’t but I was lucky, my wife said “ignore them, do your own thing” which being a dutiful husband is exactly what I did. lol

Don’t forget we live in a society that does not allow kids any down time. Parents are shuffling their kids from one sport to the next, leaving no time for kids to be kids and enjoy a hobby. I see it all the time with my kids friends. I refuse to get caught in that. I also don’t allow my kids to be on their kindles etc… 24/7. When its nice out we are outside or ding what kids should be doing. But it also helps having a parent that is into trains.

I think one thing that hasn’t been mentioned but is relevant is excitement. When we are young, we want excitement in our leisure time activities. As we age, excitement is less important, and activities that are relaxing have more appeal. At my advanced age, I find watching trains run is both relaxing and satisfying. I think this is also a factor in the demographics of our hobby.

ive been into trains all my life. i hate to say it, if the NMRA folded tomorrow, it really would not mean much to me. I agree with Bob about the attitudes…

I agree with Bill here.

When I was young, I would run my American Flyers as fast as I could. Now I pride myself in how SLOW I can get my trains to run.

When we were young, we wanted to be older. Now, slow down.

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. As you get closer to the end, it rolls faster.