Large Scale Central

This is madness!

Knee seems to be back to normal. Yesterday’s 1 hour “easy jog” went along fairly well, though I still walked a good piece. I was able to go pretty far before getting winded and recovered quickly. They say it may have to do with humidity and I might have a better time breathing if it’s less humid.

3 mile run this morning. This brat ran 2 before slowing down to catch his breath, then ran most of the 3rd mile.

I was feeling bad that I hadn’t gone a quarter mile without walking, so I set out to reach the quarter mile mark this morning. As I passed it, the lungs and legs were still working, so I continued. Started to feel a little tired at 1 mile, but everything was still working smoothly. Reached the turnaround point at 1.5 miles and kept going. Got to the 2 mile point, and walked for a few seconds, but things were still working ok, so I went on. Finally had to catch my breath later, but even then, it wasn’t bad and I was able to recover and start running again quickly. 3 mile time was 40 minutes by the clock in my room. 13 minutes 20 seconds per mile. That’s almost the training goal.

Knee feels fine. I have a couple tired muscles. The weather was cool and misty this morning.

As I got back, I ran past my car, “Sophira, I ran 3 miles!” She was not impressed. “Feed you a bagle and see how far you run!”

Way to go, Tom! You have passed a milestone or two, or three, if you will pardon the pun.

Remember, you are running for the rest of us. I feel almost athletic, again. :smiley:

The last time I ran three miles back to back was 1985 or so.

Congrats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouMsZIwOkag&eurl=http://www.worldvision.org/team

I think I started too fast on Saturday’s “60 minute easy jog.”

The first 30 minutes flew, but the last 45 minutes was a

long

walk

back :smiley:

Today’s 3 mile run/walk was fine. I think my breathing is finally keeping up.

The kidney doctor had some more precise tests done and they all came out completely normal.

Doing 3 miles most days, and up to 6 for the “long run.”

Tom,
When is the Marathon? You go, guy!

October 12.

Too soon, I think

6 miles in 1:19:30 this morning. That’s 13 1/4 minutes per mile.

The drive home was exhausting. The edens was backed up all the way into the city, so I went out to 294, but it took half an hour to get through the first toll plaza.

The Cubs and the White Sox are playing. I’m guessing all that traffic on 94 was heading for Wrigley. Watched for a while at the laundry. Quite a slugfest going on.

http://www.firstgiving.com/tomruby

Hmm. I kindof got shouted down at MLS

Slow going today. I did my distance, but everything hurts.

Where’s the tylenol?

Tom Ruby said:
Slow going today. I did my distance, but everything hurts.

Where’s the tylenol?

What time did you run? How hot was it? How far?

Not fast enough, too hot, too far.

68 degrees (20C)
4 Miles
1 Hour and some minutes

Felt a little stiff and achy starting out.

Saturday I went 5 1/2 miles in 1 hour 10 minutes.

How much stretching are you doing? Have you considered riding a bike or swimming on your off days? Get rid of all that crap out of your legs!

PS to Brian (if he’s reading): yep, I know “almost everything” about running, too. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Better today.

A guy I worked with a few years ago does the Iron Man competitions all the time. He trains all year, goes into credit card dept to attend them and it takes him weeks to recover afterwards. He’s in his early 40’s now but shows no sign of quitting any time soon.

Jon.

Jon Foster said:
A guy I worked with a few years ago does the Iron Man competitions all the time. He trains all year, goes into credit card dept to attend them and it takes him weeks to recover afterwards. He's in his early 40's now but shows no sign of quitting any time soon.

Jon.

Hey Jon,

Sounds familiar but even more dedicated.

I wasn’t gonna quit either, but since I have quite severe allergies to chlorine my ex promised to shoot me if I’d go back to training in the pool.
Ran some of my best road race times while doing the “balanced”* Tri training. That was better than doing between 50 and 55 miles a week just on the road.

• “balanced” = a relative term when used in conjunction with any endurance training. :wink: :slight_smile:

9 miles this morning. No problems. Isn’t it bedtime yet?