Large Scale Central

This is madness!

It’s starting to warm up. Was 51 this morning and lightly raining this morning. Thinking I need to look into the skimpy runner’s outfit again.

Two girls came the other direction, laughing. “You still have enough air to laugh!”

I think I’ve increased my activity level from “Couch Potato” to “Sloth” in 2 weeks.

Fat boy? Try bean-pole with a tummy.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Sheesh Ray, what a way to put it! :lol: :lol: ;)
uh, just to clarify things for those who haven't seen the movie... the guy in the movie wasn't fat either, just an unlikely marathon runner. As he put it, "I'm not fat, I'm unfit!"

He was running for a charity too, since it was the only way he could get into the race at such a late date. But the only charity that didn’t already have an entry was “Erectile Disfunction Awareness”. LOL!

Ray Dunakin said:
uh, just to clarify things for those who haven't seen the movie... the guy in the movie wasn't fat either, just an unlikely marathon runner. As he put it, "I'm not fat, I'm unfit!"

LOL!

That comment reminds me of the guy that played for the Phillies. A lady reporter made mention of his not being in very good shape for a professional athlete. His reply " Lady I’m not a professional athlete, I’m a baseball player!"

There was a fashion disaster of Biblical porportions this morning as some skinny brat in white running shorts and red running shirt went past…

( There’s a reason I wear bibs;) )

I can remember running on the beach at Oceanside, CA, and being passed by this twenty-something in red short-shorts and a skimpy top. She zoomed by me as if I was standing on jack-stands. I caught up to her at the end of the beach, near the pier, and mentioned that she had a good stride (or something like that). She said, “Thanks, but my doctor said that I had to slow down now that I’m 7 months pregnant.” :frowning:

There is a reason I don’t run.

Speaking of doctors…

My creatinins tested high again, so, what do 4 out of 5 doctors recommend? The 5th. I’ve been “deferred.”

I sure hope it’s nothing serious.

My wife has to get hers checked regularly due to all the meds she takes. She’s already lost half her kidney function after 20+ years of lithium, and had to quit another med last year because it was screwing up her pancreas.

Tom Ruby said:
Speaking of doctors....

My creatinins tested high again, so, what do 4 out of 5 doctors recommend? The 5th. I’ve been “deferred.”

Does this make you 4F? :smiley:

Is it the running that is driving up the creatinin? That sometimes happens, and is considered fairly normal. I don’t know your medical history, but that certainly is a question to ask your doc.

Whimped out!

The training schedule has the longest runs on Saturday. I took of Saturday Morning in 40 degree blasting wind, but turned around after just a quarter mile. My ears were froze and I could scarcely draw a breath in that wind. Since Sunday is a rest day, I decided to rest Saturday and try the 45 minute run/walk again on Sunday. I stopped at Sports Authority and got an ear warmer.

Sunday, I flew! I could run farther before running out of breath, then quickly catch my breath and run again. I usually set a little goal, “start running again at that sign and try to make it to the fence before walking.” When I’d reach the fence, I still had air and going, so I could go on and on, way past where I thought I’d have to go back to walking. In 23 minutes, when it was time to turn around and head back, I had gone way farther than ever. I got back still running and feeling great.

I have a little sore muscle near one knee.

This morning was entirely the opposite. I could barely plod and was out of breath in no time. I went the full allowed time, but dragged most of the time. Stiff and sore today.

Tom,

In your condition it is not a bad idea to

a) dress properly i.e. a little warmer than you require. (you can alway strip and throw a layer at the “girls” as they go by. :lol: :lol:

b) don’t pull any crazy stunts by overdoing things because you feel “just super!”. You have to build slowly and gradually, 6-8% increase from week to week, no more! That goes for distance as well as effort!!!

c) use a circle route that is relatively short and do several laps, that way you don’t get into “BIG TROUBLE” when you’re ready to collapse, just skip one or two laps.

:wink: :slight_smile:

Neil thought the difference was humidity. I think my limiting factor is breathing.

Hurt my knee last week. I was going to try the 50 minute “easy jog” Saturday in Carlyle, but it got pretty sore just walking to the Casey’s and back, so I decided to take a few days off. It’s feeling better now and I’ll do the “15 minute walk” tomorrow. Wednesday’s “3 mile run” seems frightening :o

3 block walk from motel to Casey’s, but basically 9 to 12 hours of standing, running, kneeling, up and down stairs, ladders, chairs and climbing over things, rocks, , plants, flowers and people to run trains. He did this two days in a row and then drove 6 hours holding it perfectly still while driving back to Chicago. And he wonders why his knee is sore?

Ric,

Remember the title of this thread? “This is madness!” :wink: :slight_smile:

Feeling pretty good now, as long as I’m careful not to pick up my left foot and sit on it.

Sit perfectly still? Me? Not possible! I wiggle like a 6-year-old!

Hey Tom, nothing that nailing the left foot to the floor won’t fix! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Knee is still a little stiff, but was fine for this morning’s activity.

“3 mile run” tomorrow. Gasp! A hundred yards is still a long way to me.

I think the weekend’s activity at Ric’s was good for it. Walking around, bending over, getting up and down, climbing stairs, stepping over track and small children…

Back in the 70’s I could do 10 milers in an hours. My knees have long since betrayed me, so I stick to the “low-impact” sports these days. Running has always been my wife’s stress reliever. She often disappears for long runs. I prefer my own stress reliever, playing with trains. :wink:

Good luck Tom!

Don’t give up, Tom, you are running for the rest of us.

I don’t want to put any pressure on you, but… We are counting on you.

Knee feeling much better today, just a little sore in one muscle. Breathing still doesn’t keep up with running, so I have to slow down to a plod often.