Large Scale Central

NGRC June 2018 HOTLANTA GEORGIA!!!!!

Boomer K. MOGWAI said:

Joe that is great news!!! I look forward to meeting you. I will be the caveman wearing the Texas Rangers ball cap.

I have lost track who all said they are going but I will go ad the convention to the “Events” calendar and those that want to can announce their attendance.

You mean there is a possibility I could be seen near that thing ?(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Don’t worry Hollywood I will stay at least ten feet away so the “COOL” doesn’t rub off on you by accident. :slight_smile:

Well lets get to the important part of this trip…Georgia BBQ.

While Atlanta is awash with every style of smokery from across the country I for one am not driving to the deep south to get California smoked fish with mango sauce. I want what Georgia is proud of. If you are like me then here is what you will be to looking for.

Georgia style BBQ is mostly pork shoulder or ham. Pulled sliced or chopped it is slow smoked using oak and hickory. The regional sauce is a thin red tomato base with brown sugar and spices (black pepper, cayenne). and onions. It is normally served on a large hamburger bun with onion rings (Vadellia county grows the best in the world you know) and side of Brunswick stew. It is made of leftover pork and slow cooked with corn and root vegetables using the houses sauce as a broth.

There is quite a variety of recipes across the state including tomato based soup or mustard.

Here is the Grizzard Special from SPrayberry’s in Newman GA.

Soup and sandwich from Fincher’s BBQ in Macon Ga.

A chicken mustard version of the stew from Hot Thomas BBQ in Watkinsville GA.

Oh now that looks good!!!

I’m bringing my Tums!

Image result for slobering smileyImage result for Drooling Bulldog… Can we go …

I would love to go this one, but am thinking I will have to wait one year and make it to the Portland Show. If I can swing it I will be a last minute addition to the fun and festivities.

Pete Lassen said:

I would love to go this one, but am thinking I will have to wait one year and make it to the Portland Show. If I can swing it I will be a last minute addition to the fun and festivities.

BBQ is fun, but Seafood is also a great treat when it’s fresh off the boats!

Fortunately I have relatives in Portland, unfortunately I have a relative in Portland…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

Seafood! Well John as close we are going to come is Monday when we take to the Tennessee river aboard the Southern Belle Riverboat for a lunch cruise.

Built in 1985 as the idea of a mysterious figure known only as Captain Lump the riverboat entered service as a seasonal river tour. It was a huge success but the good captain had a scurrilous past which finally came to light. The company was later sold to John Goldfine…another shady figure. This one from Duluth Minnesota who knew nothing of the South, the city of Chattanooga or riverboats but had the good sense to hire people who did. Under his absentee management the small company grew to a year round venture offering a variety of tourist and charter cruises. You can find all the info on the website here: https://chattanoogariverboat.com/

Its my understanding that this a black tie affair so I have acquired the appropriate attire… Hollywood, Joe and I will all certainly be upholding the high standards of LSC as we “represent” in these.

Hollywood has already called “Dibs” for standing on the gangway, arms spread, yelling; “I am the king of the world”!!! It won’t be as cool without Kate Winslet there, (as she is much prettier than Hollywood) but should be good for a laugh.

If you like scenic railroads Tuesday is for you.

This excursion is around the TVRM Hiwassee Loop. It includes a 47-mile rail trip along the Hiwassee River pulled behind a diesel locomotive. The trip will travel over historic loops of the former L&N mainline rail, part of the old Cincinnati-to-Atlanta route.

Passengers can view the beautiful Hiwassee River and Gorge as the train follows the river around the “Hiwassee Loop.” The loop corkscrews up the mountains passing over a bridge 62 feet above the tracks on which the train passengers have just traveled. Hmmm sort of like a giant garden railway. The Loop is reputed to be the third longest rail loop in the world. The train travels across the “Old Line,” a railroad that was carved into the mountains and river gorge in 1890 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. After the Loop, the train travels down to the historic copper mining town of Copperhill, TN, where passengers will step out of the train for 2 hours of exploring antique stores and gift shops.

Let the spouse spend freely here…you will be able to use it as leverage when the vendor displays open…

This video is provided by Mark Taylor (an aspiring documentarian). He uses three different cameras including drones to catch the action.

Hollywood and I will not be on this excursion. As mentioned earlier we are heading down to Andersonville Prison Historical Site (we got room for more people if you want to join in) where we will indulge our Civil War buff appetite.

Andersonville Prison

The Camp Sumter military prison at Andersonville was one of the largest Confederate military prisons during the Civil War. Constructed late in 1864 it operated for only 14 months before the war ended. Built to hold 10,000 men, more than 45,000 Union soldiers were confined there at its highest occupancy. Of these, almost 13,000 died from disease, abuse and murder. The commanding officer, Captain Henry Wirz, was one of only two people convicted of war crimes. He was hung on November 10, 1865. Today, Andersonville National Historic Site is a memorial to all American Prisoners Of War throughout the nation’s history. You can check out the website here: https://www.nps.gov/ande/index.htm

The story of the prisoners was made famous in the movie “Andersonville”, one of Ted Turners pet projects. Some dramatic license but very much worth the watch.

For lunch we are heading over to the little cafe in Andersonville and a visit to the Drummer Boy Museum.

Tuesday night will also be the Drag and Brag. More later on location and time for this.

The clock is ticking…better get those tickets… You know you want to.

There’s a D&B in GA??

Not fair…

Yeah we had one in Tulsa last year too Cliff. It was only attended by me. At least I did not have to worry about running out of pizza…or standing in line to get pizza…or finding a chair so I could sit down and eat pizza. Of course I was the only one that brought anything to show…so plenty of table space for my brag.

I have high hopes for a better turn out this year. Hollywood will be there so attendance should at least double. :slight_smile:

Hollywood will be there so attendance should at least double. :slight_smile:

Well…

Only if he is awake.

The build log for the Cibola Depot is current until after the convention.

https://cibolalmrr.com/structures/cibola-depot/

left to right: Hollywood, Topaz, Boomer, Dan, Bob

Left to right: Chuck, Mik

Quite the shady characters in that first photo, especially that dude in the overalls (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)… well, except for Topaz. He/she looks pretty cool.

The Atlanta NGRC Drag and Brag will be held at the La Quinta Inn Galleria (about 8 minutes from the Convention Hotel) on Tuesday night the 5th of June at 7:00 pm.

The plan is to grab a table in the lobby but if sufficient people indicate their attendance I will get us a meeting room. Please message me here on LSC if you plan on attending so I can get a head count. The sooner the better.

Or this…

Time to do a practice load on the HDAV (Home Depot Assault Vehicle) make sure I can carry all the stuff I need. There will be no room for cats so Topaz isn’t going. She is pretty angry as she already had her bags packed. She is still fuming over getting left behind last year. Or as she calls it “the great Tulsa injustice of 2017”.

I really hate it when she gives me the voodoo eye…creepy when they glow with evil like that.

Guess I’ll drag my old butt out of the room and brag about the fact that I got there.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Name tags may help

A sign in sheet may be helpful if it gets busy and gives you a idea of total attendance although experience has shown some arm twisting may be needed to get some folks to sign in. Just make it clear you are not going to share the list with law enforcement agency’s of the FBI !

Man you East Coast guys are fancy! This ain’t ECLSTS.

Name tags = pad of post it notes and a crayon.

Sign in log = I will be happy if no one carves their name in the furniture with an Exacto knife.

Refreshments = vending machines in the hotel snack niche (none of which serve alcohol)

Duration = We will see but judging by chat Hollywood has to be in bed by 7:10 local or he turns into a pumpkin.

On the upside one of the LSC members has contacted me and explained that he works as a clown doing kids parties. He has offered to show up in costume, tell jokes and hand out balloon animals. I know we will all be looking forward to that.

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)