Large Scale Central

New Rule #1 (9/25/2017)

When I meet someone for the first time, courtesy dictates something like:

“Hi, my name is Joe Schmuckatell, but you can call me Lefty.”

It is good for all to know whereabouts you hail from. Those of us in New Joisey don’t have the same weather, or climate planning problems that there are in Arizona, so it helpful when trying to answer questions and providing feedback.

When I was new to social trains and money on the ground, I watched others on the (other) site and saw big wigs with aliases and thought hmmm, ok.

Next I saw fellows showing off all their trains and then advertising when they would be at this train show or that one …

I live at the end of a dirt road and I never see who visits my neighbors, so I can’t rely on them to know if my property is threatened, nor would they be much of a deterrent.

My Frugal Man tingler went off and I said to myself, dang might as well publish a map if you use your real name because my address was published in a phone book, standing proud all by itself.

I don’t have deep pockets, if somebody steals my trains, my track will be sold off.

Seemed Prudent to alias.

It wasn’t done for malice, but my peace of mind.

Got the opposite because of everybody’s favorite Thread Cop.

So Bob helped me remove it here before it ever saw print.

That’s my story, want it?

John

I am taking all of this feedback, and the feedback I have received back-channel, under advisement.

Greg Elmassian said:

All the reasons for not using your real name do not hold water for me.

I’ve used my real name on virtually every forum, and I have not had my identity stolen, etc.

I also think that at some small level of detail, the rough location in the state is helpful… when we get a new member, and don’t know he lives in Alaska or Arizona or Washington, some of our suggestions might not be the best.

Also, there’s enough information about us out there already, that, should Bob need to, he can validate (to an extent) the name with the email and location.

I’ve also seen some members change their names to hide their identity, (no one on this thread) but a person who got in a lot of name calling matches with people.

I’m all for this, good move Bob!

Greg

p.s. I assume this means first AND last names?

p.p.s. Guys this is not a huge life or death deal, really! Your life won’t end using your real name. You gave it to Costco for crissakes!

So, where do you live, Greg. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Are we going to see a thinning of the ranks?

Sean McGillicuddy said:

One can only hope that the problems decide to go away on their own.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Bob McCown said:

I am taking all of this feedback, and the feedback I have received back-channel, under advisement.

You’re still getting back channel stuff? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)Why. Why pay attention to someone who is afraid to post their suggestion/complaint here in the forum?

Steve Featherkile said:

Bob McCown said:

You’re still getting back channel stuff? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)Why. Why pay attention to someone who is afraid to post their suggestion/complaint here in the forum?

No, just discussions with a few people about implementation. No complaints (yet)

Bob,

If I may, I will give a suggestion out here in the open. Stick to your rule as you wrote it, there is nothing wrong with it. Remember the old saying, give an inch and they will take a mile.

Chris

Sean McGillicuddy said:

I would think it would be mostly those who over the years have created accounts then rarely ever log in or once they got what they needed didn’t log back in but there names are still listed in the membership. IIRC at one time there were literally several hundreds of member names listed but if you think about it there are only a few dozen regular participants who post. I would probably include a few dozen lurkers who only read but don’t comment. So maybe there are 200 active members who are already using their names or after reading the new rules will make the change there listed names to stay active. The rest, mostly those who don’t check in more than one or twice a year or have long inactive accounts, will be the ones to get purged.

HMMM, interesting!

The rule as written (the way I read it) is about use of real names. Then mentions in passing, location, which has kicked off most of this discussion.

I have never shown my location in my whatever that is called nor do I even know how to put there. I have taken a look but it is not obvious to me.

Any one here or over there that has seen or even actually followed my building threads over the past 20 years know that my location has never been a secret. In fact my current build log a complete description of my move to Oregon was given.

So if this location tag is going to become required and I can’t get it figured out, I guess, it’s been nice knowing ya’all.

Rick

Rick,

Top of the page is MY PROFILE button, click that and it will bring you to your profile page. Upper left is your avatar, under that is the EDIT PROFILE button. The page will come up to enter your name, and location there.

Chris

Rick Marty said:

HMMM, interesting!

The rule as written (the way I read it) is about use of real names. Then mentions in passing, location, which has kicked off most of this discussion.

I have never shown my location in my whatever that is called nor do I even know how to put there. I have taken a look but it is not obvious to me.

Any one here or over there that has seen or even actually followed my building threads over the past 20 years know that my location has never been a secret. In fact my current build log a complete description of my move to Oregon was given.

So if this location tag is going to become required and I can’t get it figured out, I guess, it’s been nice knowing ya’all.

Rick

Pretty easy, go through your avatar, it will open your page where you list your address.

I thought I could do my signature there, but it didn’t register. While looking thru the Settings I found another signature link that worked. Little did I know that going retro, all my posts are now double signed! smile I’m from the Department of Redundancy Department.

Subscription page is down at the moment as Bob upgrades it or we all rush to save the ship and over loaded it, that’s my wish(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Since it seems we are now having and open discussion on this I would like to ask some things and I would like to add some of my own thoughts.
For starters I don’t really understand how doing away with nicknames fixes the problem with the “Boo Hoo Me’s” that were blowing up your e-mail and caused you to give us all a time out. Are you only doing this to please a few “Boo Hoo Me’s” ?

I can totally understand why someone would want to use a nickname. (Not because I do and I will get to that in a bit). Perhaps some that use nicknames are say law enforcement officials or such where with a quick google search you can find out info on them simply because they want to share a hobby on a forum but are required to use their real name and location.

For me and perhaps this reason will hold water with Greg? I MUST use a nickname on a car repair forum. WHY you ask … because my real name is attached to my business name. I have done numerous write ups and how to’s on that forum to help the forum and the hobbyist. Now a few of those "how-to’s " are rather involved (for instance) like disconnecting and removing airbags and reconnecting and installing them in order to do the repair .
Yes there is/ are numerous disclaimers on the site and on my write ups . However I still don’t want my name/ business affiliated in any way to that site . The first idiot that doesn’t read and follow the instructions correctly by starting with step 1… DISCONNECT THE BATTERY could blow that bag in their face. Then they search me out and try an sue my business because they were an idiot to begin with. Is that a valid point?

As for my nickname? When I joined LSC I used my real name for the longest time. I was then GIVEN a NICKNAME by the folks here on LSC. When I would post most would respond to me as Rooster not my real name. I go to the ECLSTS and not a single person in the alcove calls me by my real name it’s always Rooster. I walk down the halls at York during the show and I hear “HEY ROOSTER”.

I spend a good bit of time in LSC chat and at one point we had 3 or 4 Daves chatting at one time. Another chatter whined about all the Daves and said we should have Dave and David and Dave 1 and Dave 2. I decided to just change to Rooster and eliminate the problem. That didn’t fair well with the one chatter but that same chatter will answer and respond to NUMEROUS nicknames in chat and has on the forums as well.

I will continue to support LSC and will offer more support since Bob stated that the forums are no longer self supporting. However I see no real benefit in changing my Nickname back to my real name other than it’s possibly satisfying a complaint from back channeling. If I can’t log in then so be it but I will continue with sponsorship if I’m allowed. I just don’t think you are ever going to make some folks happy and there will always be complaints but the complainers are probably not the supporters either?

BTW I have welcomed and responded to many of the new posters and perhaps I missed some but from the return response I get back from them with my LSC given nickname doesn’t seem to bother them.
Perhaps Bob you can shine some light on how this will fix the “boo hoo me” posters or the problems.

So there is your answer Pete as to “what is the Rooster going to call ITSELF”

Could someone please correct my spelling and punctuation since this is also important on a Train Modeling Forum for the hobbyist and is supposed to be fun.

Rick Marty said:

Rick, I, and I’ll bet many of us, have enjoyed your posts a lot, and we damn sure aren’t about to lose you over a technicality.

I have never paid much attention to names and locations but there are times where locations can affect how a question from someone is answered. Since I live on the desert my climate affects all parts of the operation of the layout. Just remember to include that in your question if you don’t list it. I have no issue with nicknames. If some people started using their real name I wouldn’t know who they are!

I’m here to learn a few things and now and again will comment if I think it adds to the thread. Usually I just lurk in the background. Most of the regulars will answer with the same response I would give, so rather than listen to myself parrot someone else I just lurk. I looked on my profile and seems like my name and address are already there so life is good :wink: Bill

John Passaro said:

Boomer, I hear you, but the way I read it it’s only the profile name (not the entire profile with pictures and tag lines and signatures and avatars and all) that Bob’s not letting us change. We can play around with the rest of it all we want.

John you make the best observation. When I read Bob’s post it said: Profile. If you go to edit your profile you will see that name. avatar and location are part of the profile. Tag lines and signatures are edited through the settings feature. The statement has now been edited for name only.

When a real name is used, can it be appended with an also known as name in the naming field, or is there a character quantity or other restriction? e.g. “Real Name (aka, Nickname)”

Maybe that would satisfy the new rules whilst preserving the nicknames. Since LSC is a forum about our hobby, this would seem to make a distinction between other disciplines if using the same real name and/or nickname elsewhere.

Just a thought.

-Ted

The most common observation of LSC is its easy going, familiar nature. It is a place where people who know each other well hangout. More of a club than a forum. We even have name tags!

I like being able to joke with my friends. I like nick names, I like goofy avatar pictures and I like using the location bar to say things like “Shut-up Rooster” or appointing myself “Lord Potentate of Potaytoville”

Something that has not been said yet is Bob does not require anybody to pay to use this site. But I do pay to use this site. I am paying customer for the right to be a goofball. I have done this since I joined 3 1/2 years ago. I even paid for most of the year I wasn’t here.

This does not give me special privilege but it is an indication that I like this site well enough to put $$$$ to it. I do believe I have the right voice my opinion on changes. Without being told to shut-up and color.

I would be real curios to know how many people running their blab-a-gab opinion holes on how much they support BD and the Forum on this thread or in chat have contributed a single penny to the site. How many have within the last year posted an extensive build log, research results or pictures from an event or trip. Yeah talk is cheap especially when it is coming from a cheap-ass self appointed thread cop.

Of course would anybody be surprised to discover that a lot of the people with zeros in those areas were at the top of the chronic complainers list?