Large Scale Central

šŸšƒ Museums worth going back to seeā€¦

2 things came up today which I thought were interestingā€¦

This picture of a Chevrolet Train and what happened when I tried to find out more on the web then in the LargeScale Centralian WAYBACK machine.

• The first surprise is that Americans have a National Railway Museum and itā€™s not in Washington DC. I had never heard of it before but the Chevy Train is there! The Canadians are hiding theirs in Quebec and calling it ā€œExpoā€. We in Australia are secreting ours in Adelaide SA. The Swiss have theirs in Lucern. The Brits have stowed theirs in York.

• They evidently cooperate well with each other as seen in Daveā€™s post.

I thought Iā€™d throw out a couple of questions

• Have you been to your National Railroad Museum and would you return or recommend it?
  • Do you have an exceptional Railroad Museum in your region worth taking a side trip to see?
  • What is your all-time favourite museum(s) that you feel is a ā€œmust seeā€?
  1. Yes, have been to our National Railroad Museum and highly recommend itā€¦
  2. close exceptional museum is the Illinois Railroad Museum
  3. have 3 all-time favorites, along with the 2 above listed, the 3rd
    is the Baltimore Railroad Museumā€¦

Pretty sure that photo of the rear of the GM Aerotrain is fake. It didnā€™t have a Chevrolet logo or a chrome bumper or tail lights in the fins. Photos of the rear are hard to find on Google, but I believe this one is accurateā€¦

Iā€™ve not been to many of the major museums. The Pennsylvania RR Museum in Stassburg PA is one Iā€™d recommend. We have a nice small town RR museum in the next town over; The Danbury RR Museum in Danbury, CT.

Museums, hard to choose a total favorite but first to mind comes the;

California State Railroad Museum
https://www.californiarailroad.museum/

Western Pacific RR Museum, Portola, CA.
https://wplives.org/

National Museum of Transportation, Itā€™s a little more than just trains

Then the one mentioned above, York

We have been to several more but these seem to pop up as favorites of ours.

Looks like John nailed it on the altered photo :sunglasses:

These photos are from http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428585&page=477

Wanted to add Steamtown USA

1 Like

I have been to the California State RR Museum in Sacramento and highly recommend it, a lot of info about the building to the trans continental and the treatment of the workers

Bill;

Spencer, NC is a fairly small community, but it has a really fine transportation museum. It was once a locomotive and car shops complex for the (US) Southern Railway.

Best, David Meashey

Museums I have been to and would recommend:

• B&O Railroad museum in Baltimore. [Probably what Andy referred to!]
  • Spencer Shops, near Charlotte, NC.
  • UK National Railway Museum, York.
  • Steamtown USA, in Scranton, PA.

Museums I have been to that were a bit lacking and I wouldnā€™t recommend:

• Georgia State RR Museum in Savannah, GA.
  • SW Florida RR Museum, Fort Myers, FL.

Then right across the street is

Ah yes. Forgot that one! Itā€™s on my ā€˜recommendedā€™ list

My faves thus far:

1. NV State RR Museum (cuz of V&Tā€¦)
  2. B&O RR Museum
  3. CA State RR Museum
  4. Kyoto RR Museum
  5. RR Museum of PA (Strasburg)
  6. WP RR Museum (Portola CA)
  7. Steamtown National Historic Site (NPS; Scranton PA)

Cliff I became a member of Nevada RR museum this year, now to get way up there and drive a locomotive!:joy:

I know itā€™s operate!

Itā€™s not trains, but Pima Air Museum is definitely worth the trip. Went there with Devon on Friday before the Drag Races over the weekend

R.A. ā€œBobā€Hoover, an awesome show pilot
F -14 Tomcat
C124 Globemaster Below a B 36 Bomber, 6 28 clyinder Pratt & Whitney R-4360 radial engines and 4 jet engines on the wings. the size of the wing leading edge( a strange term for a 7.'5" chord thickness part of a wing)!!!
Boeing 777 ( like what my younger brother flies

just a small sample of the planes they have there F4U-4 Corsair
F7F Tigercat
b- 58 Hustler

The real reason Devon took you there :sunglasses:

1 Like

:point_right:Their List :point_left:

Ah- another one I forgot. SCRM (formerly Orange Empire Railway Museum.) Well worth a visit.
[There is also a South Carolina Railroad Museum, which I guess is SCRM as well, but I havenā€™t visited that!]

Loved the video and the guys accent. Heā€™s from Up North.

I hope everyone realized that the link ā€œTheir Listā€ is to the Worldā€™s Best Railway Museums.

1 Like

:+1:

-Sean Bean (Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Goldeneye 007 etc.)

Very cool, Pete, I hope you can!

yep, surprisingly he didnt go straight to it,but we spent some time Droolingā€¦ I mean looking at it and the Tigercat next to it.