Large Scale Central

Farthest North LS Outdoor Railway

And remember, this first series of writings is just the background, the context behind my large-scale model railroad. If I started writing about just the “garden” railway itself, you would miss a lot that I believe you need to make this experience with me worthwhile.

Even a wholly-fantasy model railroad has a story behind the story–and that is you, the person who made it what it is today. SOMEHOW you became a large-scale model train enthusiast. How did that come about? What really happened that led you to this point?

You did not just become interested in that Colorado narrow gauge out of the blue. SOMETHING peaked your interest which eventually compelled you to build that masterpiece with all its twists, turns, bridges, hills, running water and that pond-- and those odd-looking structures you selected to make that backyard creation of yours what it is now.

WHAT was that? What is YOUR story behind your personal model railroad?

Ronald Simpson said:
And remember, this first series of writings is just the background, the context behind my large-scale model railroad. If I started writing about just the "garden" railway itself, you would miss a lot that I believe you need to make this experience with me worthwhile.

Even a wholly-fantasy model railroad has a story behind the story–and that is you, the person who made it what it is today. SOMEHOW you became a large-scale model train enthusiast. How did that come about? What really happened that led you to this point?

You did not just become interested in that Colorado narrow gauge out of the blue. SOMETHING peaked your interest which eventually compelled you to build that masterpiece with all its twists, turns, bridges, hills, running water and that pond-- and those odd-looking structures you selected to make that backyard creation of yours what it is now.

WHAT was that? What is YOUR story behind your personal model railroad?

Ron,

And what does one ask the guys who just want to run in circles and have “fun”?? :wink: :slight_smile:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
And what does one ask the guys who just want to run in circles and have "fun"?? ;) :)
Wow. That almost sounds like a loaded question.

Ya kinda gotta watch that with HJ…:smiley: :wink:

Warren Mumpower said:
Ya kinda gotta watch that with HJ.....:D ;)
>>>And what does one ask the guys who just want to run in circles and have "fun"??<<< I think that is the point where the model becomes nothing more than a "toy train."

That is fine if that is the limit of one’s interest in this hobby, I suppose. But that is not me and I am not addressing my writing to people who are simply out there to be “playing with trains.” I have almost nothing in common with them. In fact, why would such people even be reading this? I do not understand the comment.

My message has always been the same since I first participated in forums like this one about seven years ago. It is this: There is ALWAYS a historic CONTEXT behind all of this model train activity no matter what scale is involved and irregardless of whether the layout involved is based on historic prototypes or is wholly an imaginary creation. Even the the model railroads of the fantasy category have SOME kind of context well worthy of further exploration–even if it is just the telling of a good tale to explain its features and reason for being what it is.

It is the context which puts depth into our hobby and thus brings about the long-lasting, multi-faceted, enormously satisfying endeavor that makes this field of interest far more than simply a momentary diversion.

Ron,

Don’t mind Warren, you put into words what I figured you would. It’s nice to have one more on board who likes the model aspect even if it is LS in the great outdoors!

While I’m not disagreeing with you, do remember that you are seeing things through the eyes of a writer. Your perceptions may be different than many others…especially others that have no interest in writing and little interest in reading beyond the newspaper. But as you said…most of them won’t be reading this anyways.

And yes, there is a historical reference behind my fantasy StJ&FC.

Ron, here is the history of the CR&TC.

Enjoy.

Steve Featherkile said:
Ron, [url=http://www.largescalecentral.com/profile/profile.php?section=railroad&id=1268]here[/url] is the history of the CR&TC.

Enjoy.

Your story shows what one can do with a fantasy railroad that has its roots in history. I can certainly appreciate the way you intertwine the historic record with a railway line you created. THAT is the sort of story which adds true depth to model railroad. It is graphic enough to spur the imagination and sufficiently credible to make one wonder where history ends and fantasy begins. I like it.

Warren Mumpower said:
While I'm not disagreeing with you, do remember that you are seeing things through the eyes of a writer. Your perceptions may be different than many others...especially others that have no interest in writing and little interest in reading beyond the newspaper. But as you said...most of them won't be reading this anyways.

And yes, there is a historical reference behind my fantasy StJ&FC.

I am one of those people who is always looking for ways to improve upon something. Model railroads are wonderful in that regard because they can ALWAYS evolve into something just a little better–whether it is alterations to the track design, upgrading the turnout switches, installing a new type of battery to power a locomotive, or kitbashing a model structure so it better fits the THEME of one’s diorama. Similarly, these layouts can only become even more attractive and memorable by developing a story worthy of one’s efforts that gives context to one’s model railroad.

I generally think of my story as a blueprint for my railroad. It’s what I use to build by…or as others may think, an excuse to do what I’m going to do anyways…a justification for my eccentric behavior. I really don’t usually share my story because I doubt too many people really want to hear it. It’s like building a fantastic model and showing off the plans. People may be interested in the model but rarely give a hoot in the plan that built it. Maybe this comes from my HO days when many of the modelers I was around had the notion that if you didn’t model a particular time and place in history you were not a modeler. As an example, a number of years ago I built a locomotive from the fantasy in my head…using a U25B as it’s basis. I called it a B25-7…the precursor to the Dash 7 series in my fantasy. I got it finished in time for the upcoming local train show and had it displayed proudly on the club layout. Some jackweed buttwipe HO’er came by and had the nerve to tell me I wasn’t a modeler because it wasn’t an exact replica of a real locomotive…and besides my rails were too close together. To wrap this story up, there are a couple members of this forum that were there that day and will tell you I was glowing a bright red. They were ready to tackle me if I did try to throttle him…as I really wanted to do. Stuff like that doesn’t stop me from modeling what I want to, but it does have a negative effect on my willingness to share my thoughts and creations.

Warren Mumpower said:
...there are a couple members of this forum that were there that day and will tell you I was glowing a bright red. They were ready to tackle me if I did try to throttle him...
They spoiled a good Darwin moment.
Warren Mumpower said:
I generally think of my story as a blueprint for my railroad. It's what I use to build by..or as others may think, an excuse to do what I'm going to do anyways...a justification for my eccentric behavior. I really don't usually share my story because I doubt too many people really want to hear it. It's like building a fantastic model and showing off the plans. People may be interested in the model but rarely give a hoot in the plan that built it. . .

Some . . . HO’er came by and had the nerve to tell me I wasn’t a modeler because it wasn’t an exact replica of a real locomotive…and besides my rails were too close together. . . I was glowing a bright red. They were ready to tackle me if I did try to throttle him…as I really wanted to do. Stuff like that doesn’t stop me from modeling what I want to, but it does have a negative effect on my willingness to share my thoughts and creations.

Interesting story. We large-scale modelers are not, after all, a society of architectural engineers whose job is to accurately reproduce a specific process. In this sense I can really identify with those who just want to “run trains,” because, after all, this is supposed to be fun, NOT a high school science project with an exam to follow.

I don’t know about the HO hobbyists. I do know that SOME people seem to insist on accurate reproductions of everything, without ever taking into account that the moment one begins to compress a model, as is inevitable in large-scale, one must ALTER the prototype on which the layout is modeled. Now that I think of it, I cannot bring to mind ANY model that even approaches something that is historically correct. I have never seen one on line nor in the Garden Railways magazine. The closest model that I am aware of that actually comes remotely close to that is my own Kennecott mill site model (which includes elements of three REAL historic towns), but that model is definitely not an architectural reproduction.

I am not one who is skilled in alteration of model rolling stock to create something different yet prototypical, either, although we all are aware of some who are. That is fine. I believe we call them “rivet counters.” Good for them. I admire the skill and patience behind all of that work, BUT even THEY do not use layouts that are historically correct. If you KNOW an exception, it would be RARE.

We are in effect making a railroad in our own image–a vision that is uniquely ours based on our own experiences in life that go well beyond our preferences for a particular road name or specific type of engine, for example.

THUS, any criticism of one’s failure to be totally accurate in a choice of portrayal of a particular railroad is not only totally bogus but wholly and unabashedly hypocritical. The only realistic conclusion is that it is well past time to move past the snobbery of how a particular railroad SHOULD be modeled in the gospel according to Mr Self-Appointed Railroad Expert, and go about creating a miniature railway layout that suits who we really are as model railroaders.

And, finally, it is my contention that the more detailed the story behind any particular layout–both the part which is historic and the part which is not–the more interesting the model. This ESPECIALLY holds true for people who are NOT model railroaders. I know this from operating this model here in Copper Center as a historic INTERPRETATION of something which really did occur. THOSE people–tourists from all over (almost NONE of them knowing much of anything about railroads, much less MODEL railroads) LOVE the story behind the story. THAT is what really brings it to life.

I have added yet another segment to my article. Although some of my writings may not appear to be railroad related, you will just have to trust me . . .

It won’t be long and I’ll actually be writing about garden railways . . .

No. Not the magazine.

Warren Mumpower said:
Some jackweed buttwipe HO'er came by and had the nerve to tell me I wasn't a modeler because it wasn't an exact replica of a real locomotive....
They should try telling that to the professional modelers who build scale models for movies such as Lord of the Rings or Star Wars!

Then I re-read it and realized I had missed the point entirely.

Ray Dunakin said:
Warren Mumpower said:
Some jackweed buttwipe HO'er came by and had the nerve to tell me I wasn't a modeler because it wasn't an exact replica of a real locomotive.... -
They should try telling that to the professional modelers who build scale models for movies such as Lord of the Rings or Star Wars! -
Or that model airplane that that I built that started out as a 1:72 model of a Douglas Dauntless dive bomber powered by a .35 glo-plug engine, but after countless crashes from failing to pull out after putting the ordinance on target no longer resembled even a monoplane, but somehow still flew... Just try to tell me that I am not a modeler...

As I recall, we gave that Delta Hotel a bag of rivets and told him to go into a dark corner and enjoy himself.

The story continues. . . I think !

Today’s added chapter is where I jump ahead of the story to tie in the background with the early beginnings of my large-scale model railroad project which I date back to 1994.