Large Scale Central

Farthest North LS Outdoor Railway

Jon Radder said:
Bruce Chandler said:
Interesting start! I always enjoy your writing.

One problem, with Internet Explorer and VistaSucks ™, I can only see the words “Part I: The Background”
and just the very top of the first picture. I can read the full article using Mozilla.

Jeeze - And I only see the few rows of pixels of the picture with IE. It looks like a table size issue to me, but what do I know :open_mouth:

Page two displays fine.

Nice Article Ron. I’m looking forward to the next installment.

Jon

Okay. I have corrected that. I have also added one additional photo into page 2 of the article.
–Ron

Ron,

Very nice and interesting article, background info is always neat … saves that “what was he thinking” interval.

BTW if the problems with IE persist just post “Best viewed with Mozilla or OPERA”. Both of those work fine. :wink: :slight_smile:

Ronald Simpson said:
Okay. I have corrected that. I have also added one additional photo into page 2 of the article. --Ron
You sure did. Looks great now in either IE or Mozilla.
Ronald Simpson said:
Part I of my article is now available. Check it out [url=http://largescalecentral.com/articles/view.php?id=68]here[/url]. This is only the introductory chapter.
I have completed page four of this story. You will note that not all of it is in chronological order. Sometimes I will start out with a thought that points the reader in a specific direction, then I will go back in time to make the point. It is a technique I develped when writing that historic novel. It keeps you thinking.
Ronald Simpson said:
Looks like my winter preparations are finally over. The first real snow, while not amounting to much, has finally covered everything, including, of course, the outdoor railroad tracks. Among other things, that means I will have more time to devote to THIS on line project.
To the contrary, my friend. Snowfall means it is time to get out the snow plow, not put away the trains. :D Granted, up in your neck of the woods, you may be running your trains through snow tunnels, but don't put them away!
Steve Featherkile said:
To the contrary, my friend. Snowfall means it is time to get out the snow plow, not put away the trains. Granted, up in your neck of the woods, you may be running your trains through snow tunnels, but don't put them away!
The problem here is not the amount of snowfall. This is a dry area, not subject to heavy, wet accumulations. However the warmest we are likely to see now is about the mid-20s in the late afternoon with temperatures dipping well below zero at night. Also, daylight hours will soon be down to almost nothing. NO trains from about mid-October until about mid-April or later depending on the amount of melting which occurs by then.

It may be awhile before I get to this point, but my four Aristo streamliner Milwaukee Coaches have arrived. These will become part of the Phase II Cicely model. The FA units which go with this are now in the Battery Backshop for conversion to remote battery.

Ronald Simpson said:

Note: The prototype town for Cicely is Roslyn, Washington. The adjacent town of Cle Elum had two railroads running through: The Northern Pacific (I have that too) and the Milwaukee Road.

Ron,

Keep adding those different names i.e Cle Elum and Google will be busy.

Ronald Simpson said:
My four Aristo streamliner Milwaukee Coaches have arrived. . . The prototype town for Cicely is Roslyn, Washington. The adjacent town of Cle Elum had two railroads running through: The Northern Pacific (I have that too) and the Milwaukee Road.
Although I am getting a little ahead of the story, I have some notes to add here.

When I began what I tentatively labeled the Phase II indoor-outdoor large scale model railroad line, the original intent was to enable me to use my Alaska Railroad g-scale stock which would not work on the tighter curves and especially the switches of the Phase I line which was designed for maximum 8-foot curves.

The Alaska RR equipment included a USA 40-2 and some Aristo streamliner pieces that had been converted to the AKRR color scheme. I also found that the Aristo heavyweights really did not work well at all on the Phase I curves. I had five of these pieces which I ended up shelving.

Since then I began adding other railroad lines. It started with the Sante Fe. My original intention there was to convert these to AKRR, but upon looking at the work on those coaches, I just could not bring myself to do that. These were the first run of those modern USA coaches. Since that time a number of new mainlines of varying flagships have been added to my inventory. With one exception, these are all passenger lines. Even that exception has its passenger component.

The latest and final addition to this mix is the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad–the Milwaukee Road. Like all the others, I had no intention of adding it, but this one adds a particularly exciting and even relevant element. The first of those coaches, as I noted, have already arrived. Those original heavyweights will also be painted in the Milwaukee Road colors as time and circumstances permit.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Ronald Simpson said:

Note: The prototype town for Cicely is Roslyn, Washington. The adjacent town of Cle Elum had two railroads running through: The Northern Pacific (I have that too) and the Milwaukee Road.

Ron,

Keep adding those different names i.e Cle Elum and Google will be busy.

I never thought of that. All of this will also be included in my website, so I guess all this will help a wide variety of people to find my site.

Keep it coming Ron. We all really enjoy reading your stuff. And your pictures are great too.

Jon

Jon Radder said:
Keep it coming Ron. We all really enjoy reading your stuff. And your pictures are great too.

Jon

Thank you for that. I have gone ahead with one more segment in my multi-part article.

My regards,
–Ron

Anyone else modeling elements of the Milwaukee Road ?

Ronald Simpson said:
Anyone else modeling elements of the Milwaukee Road ?
Anyone ?

I know of a couple that have one or two Milwaukee lcomotives but I could hardly say they are modeling “elements of” said railroad…:confused:

Warren Mumpower said:
I know of a couple that have one or two Milwaukee lcomotives but I could hardly say they are modeling "elements of" said railroad...:/
The g-scale equipment for the Milwaukee Road is very difficult to find. Aristocraft had a run of heavyweights in that road but I was unable to obtain any of those. I did acquire two FA and one FB unit which are heading straight to the Battery Backshop for battery conversion.

This is quite a fascinating railroad–particularly the passenger operations. By most accounts, the Milwaukee Road was a top-of-the line passenger railroad.

When it comes to models from manufacturers the Milwaukee suffers twice. First is it had some very unique, one of a kind passenger trains which the manufacturers would find “not profitable” to manufacture…and the 2 most popular manufacturers tend to act as if railroads end at Chicago. Western roadnames are hard to come by…other than Santa Fe, Union Pacific and Southern Pacific. Everyone else just gets honorable mention.

Warren Mumpower said:
When it comes to models from manufacturers the Milwaukee suffers twice. First is it had some very unique, one of a kind passenger trains which the manufacturers would find "not profitable" to manufacture...and the 2 most popular manufacturers tend to act as if railroads end at Chicago. Western roadnames are hard to come by...other than Santa Fe, Union Pacific and Southern Pacific. Everyone else just gets honorable mention.
I was particularly surprised to discover that USA Trains offered modern Northern Pacific coaches and the matching diesel locomotive. I purchased several coaches and a loco last year. The previous year I purchased a similar group of Great Northern rolling stock built by USA Trains. GN is far more common, it seems. Regrettably, nothing similar was offered for the Milwaukee Road. And I am still waiting for full-dome coaches. These were originally discussed as coming shortly after the E-8s by Aristocraft. However, since the E-8 came out, there has been no word of any full-domes at all.

“Shortly” for Aristocraft means within the next 10 years or so. :frowning:

Warren Mumpower said:
"Shortly" for Aristocraft means within the next 10 years or so. :(
That has been my experience. I waited for that mikado that appeared in their '94 catalog until last year when I finally got one just to have it--a dozen years later.