Large Scale Central

Dave T. 2021 Mik Build

Dave, with the ‘go big or go home’ flavor of this thread I was just wondering ‘how big?’.

Dave Taylor said:

WELL… the more i get built on this beast… I am questioning if this thing will be able to make it around the NMNRR. I have specialized in “Shorty size cars” because I have some tight turns on my mainline… and even tighter on the mountain Division…

Oh and a tunnel, and two truss bridges i’m not sure of the clearance. Oh Well we’ll see…

Well, iffin it don’t make it around yorn RR, send it on over here to Alabammy and I’ll make sure it will get around my imaginary RR (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Dave,

There is a raw and rugged beauty to this thread. It really does look like something that “ought to have been.”

Eric

I trudged thru the last two drop center beams last night. So I sat this morning working on some caffein and was glad that part was done. I looked at the beam and thought that there was a lot of pins… ahaaa I wonder how many ?

So I started counting…1,2,3,4… In just the unfinished drop center beams i’ve put in 828 pins… And there are 126 pieces of wood, glued at 192 joints. And I’ve got a bunch to go…

Anyway, started to think of the load… played with several cans, and compared for size and looks…

No decision yet… too much still to go…

Dave T.

Holy cow Dave. You have gone all out on this one.

That is some fine craftsmanship on the wood. Folgers is good coffee, okay.

EDIT: Or, fill it to the rim, with Brim?

The car is looking really good and it does have that old timey feel.

Worked on the car a lot today. And as far as construction goes its nearly done…

Got the additional beams and the blocking in, and assembled it all together…

STOUT is the defining term… it is really ridged and strong.

A couple of minor pieces to add… and then start on the detailing…

Stand By,

Dave T.

Holy cow Dave that thing is a work of art.

It does look stout, Dave. All the bracing and blocking give it a lot of character too, IMHO.

will you do work for outside railroads, I would like to buy one for my modern RR. I would just swap the arch bar trucks for 100 ton Barber KaDee’s. I already think it’s going to be a close race between this and Todd’s massive factory complex for #1.
BUT, what are you building using the can? Maybe I need to go back and read the first page again!

@Pete, The tin cans are going to turn into a refinery pressure vessel. Gota have something to haul around…

Yah… I just might be up to building another one… but I’m not sure that this one will make it around my pike with the tight turns… If it won’t The whole thing could just go up for sale… Stay tuned…

This one’s going to be hard to beat (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Worked all day… so when I got home I started on some detailing work…

I’m going to build up trusses to go thru the works, and in so doing I need to build the trusses from scratch. Starting with some 1/16" brass rods and then threading the ends to fit the #1 -64tpi nuts. these things are way small…

Thats shot on 1/4" graph paper… My old eyes need to use my mag glasses to do this itsy bitty stuff…

I’ll need ten of these truss rods, plus the horizontal/lateral ones thru from the sides…

Fun times ahead…

Stay tuned…

Dave T.

To answer a couple of ?s… This is the set of tap and dies I have… They are available on the net, and amazon too. there are a number of sellers, offering the same set, appears to be by the same manufacture under different names…

So shopping by price point will get you the same product…

Same set I have labeled under another name. Works great.

Wish they would have made the plastic case for empirical numbers instead of metric. But I guess you get what you pay for. But I cant read the numbers on the taps. I need to use something to label mine so I readily know which taps are which

Devon Sinsley said:

Same set I have labeled under another name. Works great.

But I cant read the numbers on the taps. I need to use something to label mine so I readily know which taps are which

A piece of tape with the number on it wrapped up close to the square part, like a small flag should work and not be in the way of using it.

Pete Lassen said:

A piece of tape with the number on it wrapped up close to the square part, like a small flag should work and not be in the way of using it.

It really as simple as marking the case with a sharpie. Its just a matter if doing it lol.

Worked on the main truss rods tonight… Cut the ten 1/16" brass rods and got both ends threaded in #1-64. Drilled the end beams and installed.

And the inside…

And tomorrow… more detail parts and pieces…

Stay tuned

Dave T.

Has anyone mentioned that this thing will be stout?? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)