Large Scale Central

Dave T. 2021 Mik Build

First Day of Mik 2021… Finally… got to start working…

Started my day by freezing my fingers cutting wood…in my unheated ( 28 deg) shop… Burrrr… Most of which was re-sizing stuff I already had.

Got the two shorty, two truck flatcars built… Gotta confess I stole the trucks off of another project until I can get the new ones made up.

The idea here was to build a bit narrow but way stout car. These have to pull and handle the entire weight of the drop bed car and the load its carrying.

Still have to put together the “5th wheel Mount”. It’s not going to be a removable setup.

So tomorrow I start on the center, drop Center Carrier part.

Stay tuned…

Dave T.

Dave, I believe the stout part was a success. Nice start.

This is gonna turn out cool. Giving me an idea for an upcoming build i have planned

Thanks Guys… I have some challenges ahead i’m not looking forward to…

The two flats were the easy part…

Dave T.

Day 2…

Spent Most of my time today again at the saw, but I got all the lumber cut to size… I just might have enough finish this beast.

Spent more time cutting each of the 21 pieces for each of the 6 beams to exact size… Tough work, and my back is not happy bent over my little saw… but now it time to start assembly… And WOW! what a job it’s turning into… Of course the first one is always the hardest…

This thing is turning out to be WAY BIGGER than I had thought… Thats a 36" section of track its setting on…

But I think it’s way cool looking… and sure glad that i’m committed to get this beast finished.

It dosn’t look it but there is track clearance.

So tomorrow I start on making 5 more.

Stay Tuned…

Wow, that will be one cool looking piece of rolling stock (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)Are you going to gain any additional track clearance?

That is a beast!

That is seriously cool

That is going to be really cool. 36" is long but I just measured my bash/scratch HD flat with the 12" deck and it is 32" long.

I wonder if you will have to extend the center section “flaps” over the trucks more to act like a counter weight to displace the load better?

I think this is my favorite build this year.

Just to fill out some info…

@Todd, extending the support arms would do very little to counter the LOAD FORCE. The only way would be to place a heavy counter weight on it equal to 1/2 the weight of the load. and that would only add to the total weight on the car. The cross braces are designed to transfer the forces of the load with out bending and bowing.

The main beams as scaled in 1:20.3 come out to 6" wide and 12" tall. And the braces are scaled to 3"x12". Thats pretty stout timbering…

Dave T.

This thing is going to be awesome!

Spent most of Mik Day 3 at the Studio, gotta still pay the bills, Not a lot of progress… Decided to “Sub Assemble” the end parts of the drop center part. Made a bit of a jig to get them square during glue up. Booring Day…

No work— All play today…

Stay tuned…

Dave T.

Dave, is the connection for the “T” a simple butt joint Or is there something else that we can’t see from that photo? I realize that joint will be reinforced in the full assembly, just curious.

@Dan In real life when we rebuilt wooden flatcars and gons and etc. All beams that “Butt Jointed” were Morticed and Tendoned. If this was a real car they would be too. But there ain’t no way in hell, i’m doing that to these… 1 1/8" pin nails work just fine with titebond lll.

I’ve now got 4 of the six beams assembled, and the other two partially done. Just couldn’t wait to see how it’s gonna look.

Man, i’m really liking the look… So industrial, tough and rugged looking.

Up next, keep plowing onward with the assembly…

Stay tuned.

Dave T.

That thing is a beast. Very cool indeed

Dave, you piqued my curiosity…what capacity trucks do those represent?

That is just too cool, Dave. It will certainly get some attention when traversing the layout. This is definitely going on the “must have” list You let me down on the M&T joint (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)But I don’t blame you (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Fascinating build. And that’s about the most genius I can offer.

Dave,

from the pics, that i’ve seen from your layout, i suspect, that you will need more clearance from the track.

take a look, your layout is not a pancake flat.

@Bob… They are trucks, Archbar, Standard issue, for everyday use… Hell I don’t know… They are the only ones that I have the molds for casting my own… So I have no clue on tonnage. So for the sake of anything else… 30 ton… sounds good…

WELL… the more i get built on this beast… I am questioning if this thing will be able to make it around the NMNRR. I have specialized in “Shorty size cars” because I have some tight turns on my mainline… and even tighter on the mountain Division…

Oh and a tunnel, and two truss bridges i’m not sure of the clearance. Oh Well we’ll see…