Large Scale Central

Building a BIG "little" shortline RR

Thanks Gary, that explains it for me.

I think that the top and bottom plate that sandwiches the rail as it feeds through the rolls

is what eliminates the possible twist.

Unlike the single rail benders I have used in “large scale” that have no in or out feed support, nothing but the rolls themselves.

Are ya stayin dry?

Rick

Rick Marty said:

Are ya stayin dry?

Rick

No and I’m sick and tired of this rain! I don’t know how you do it in Oregon…I would last about two minutes in that weather up there :). I would never get ANYTHING done!

Gary Armitstead said:

Rick Marty said:

Are ya stayin dry?

Rick

No and I’m sick and tired of this rain! I don’t know how you do it in Oregon…I would last about two minutes in that weather up there :). I would never get ANYTHING done!

Yea!

Sure beats all the wild fires they were having a few years ago when we were there.

Ken Brunt said:

Sure beats all the wild fires they were having a few years ago when we were there.

Hey Ken,

The hills above our house here in Burbank are beautiful and green right now, but…in a matter of a few weeks we will start to see the typical warm weather of spring and the dry Santa Ana winds. The green hills will be brown with thick sage brush and the fuel for our famous hillside wildfires. That’s just the way life is here in “paradise” :),

It looks like the rain in So. California has stopped for a few days and the weather is great in the high 70’s and low 80’s. Decided to start laying some track in the rough locations around the house.

60 feet of straight panels and 50 feet of 25 ft. radius curves stack on my locomotive rack.

29 feet of straight panels and 40 more feet of 25 ft. radius panels stacked on the ground. I have another 20 feet of straight panels to complete.

First panels “roughly” placed. The ends have to be cut on the curves. I will do that with a “portable” band saw.

The ROW will kind of “wind its way” along the walkways and some of the landscaping.

The 25 ft. radius will continue along past the car in the drive and down the drive to a gate going into the backyard. There is only about 55 feet of the total 175 feet of ROW placed so far. Should be a great “ride” for the grandkids AND Grandpa :).

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Nice Gary,

So that is what sunshine looks like(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I love it!

Way to go Grandpa!

Very cool Gary, I’m interested to see your switch placement and final track plan. I see you are going to take a shot a building your own. Also looking forward to that. Unless things get derailed I’m hoping to order my first 200 feet of track from Accutie rail systems in the fall. I’d order now but it would be of no use until I get my shop moved up to our new house. I’ll need to start making chips immediately to build a critter and flat car. I’m really glad you took the time to post about your adventures and share your sources for the track. I’m watching…

Randy,

I have a “track plan”…just need to find a way to post a photo of a pdf file. Somewhere on this computer I have a converter to do just that. The #6 RH turnout will go in the driveway near the garage. That way I can load/unload cars and engines on/off the track using my lift rack.

The Super Husky “critter” might be the way to go for you. If you can do the machine work yourself and scrounge up the sprockets and bearings, you could have a fairly inexpensive critter in no time. The Super Husky is capable of pulling 11 empty 1-1/2 inch scale gondolas and run for about 5 hours on a single charge. Pretty strong little engine :). It will definitely pull five to six adults without any problem.

Added track plan for the Short Line:

The #6 RH switch is located next to my “Train transport trailer”. The switch goes to my lift rack.

Track plan added for Randy.

Suburban lot is 71 X 150, roughly 10,650 sq. ft. The track shown will be about 220 feet long with the #6 RH turnout shown in the bottom center of the drawing. The lift rack is situated off the end of the short siding. The mainline goes through a backyard gate and out into the backyard. There will be a “short”, about 18 inches (as in height, not length) trestle start just about where the steps are shown in the walk out to the pool. The area in the middle upper section is sloping lawn. Trestle bents needed in the area. The pool is 15 X 30 and the pool deck is 35 X 71 Just for size comparison.

so it will not be a loop? Or is that plan for later expansion? Didnt think you could squeeze this size into a residential lot, something to look forward to doing in my little lot. Looks like a fun little layout

Pete Lassen said:

so it will not be a loop? Or is that plan for later expansion? Didnt think you could squeeze this size into a residential lot, something to look forward to doing in my little lot. Looks like a fun little layout

I can’t really do a loop on a lot this small. I’ll have to let this point to point serve my addiction for now. We do have property in the mountains with a 900 sq. ft. cabin on it and we could take it up there for a full loop. Even has a small stream to cross. Right now, it’s great entertainment for the grandkids especially with TWO trains to run.

must be something preventing you from connecting tracks on the side of the house at the top of the drawing… I do see where you could set a couple more switches for ops, having the grandkids swap out cars and exchange them with each other! Plus the siding to deliver trash to the curbside , and groceries from the automobile to the kitchen door

Pete Lassen said:

must be something preventing you from connecting tracks on the side of the house at the top of the drawing… I do see where you could set a couple more switches for ops, having the grandkids swap out cars and exchange them with each other! Plus the siding to deliver trash to the curbside , and groceries from the automobile to the kitchen door

Yes Pete, there is “something” preventing me from connecting tracks in that upper area…It’s called a huge water tank for storage of solar heated water from the solar panels on my roof! And it would have to be on a 36 inch high trestle! Then I would have no access to the 250 gallon storage tank. Just not feasible now.

I figured there was a good explaination as to why it couldnt fit back there. Looking forward to seeing the progress Gary!

Gary

Have you been using the line?

Do you have a final /to date track plan ?

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Gary

Have you been using the line?

Do you have a final /to date track plan ?

Hey Sean,

No, I haven’t been using the line yet…BUT the “official opening” will be Saturday April 20th, 2019. The day before Easter. The grandkids will be here for the day :)! We will have both trains running, bi-directional. Should be interesting.

Here is the track plan as of today. Still waitng for the second turnout kit. Hasn’t arrived yet, but this plan below will use the first #5 turnout as a siding/station spur. The kids can do some switching and trade cars back and forth between the two Baldwin electrics. Should keep them very busy AND they might even learn some things.

This is a view looking NE across the property showing a large wall on the driveway side and the street and parkway to the right and pool at the extreme left and rear of the yard. The property is now large (a 1/4 acre) 11,000 sq. ft… But it is on a hillside. The property drops about six feet from the driveway and street down to the rear at the pool. The street is on about a 4-5% slope down from the top of the plan to the bottom of the plan. You might be able to see the 72 inch long steel gondola at the top on the turnout and again at the end of the line in the backyard. Some size comparison.

This view is looking from left to right (actually looking southwest) into the San fernando Valley. You can just make out the cinder block wall along the drive and the sidewalk and street in the front yard. The concrete and brick walks are embedded here. The open space is grass and some retaining walls and steps tpo various levels of the yard.

Top view of the layout showing the roughly 230 of track.