Large Scale Central

2020 Challenge By Dennis Rayon.... Denray Machine Welding Supply

IMG_4872 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

I painted the inside of the bottom and glued and pinned it in place.

The loading dock/Side sidewalk

I want a loading dock in the front that leads to a sidewalk around the side, this dock will hold a few gas/oxygen bottles.

I will be using redwood lumber. I cut all my lumber on a table saw.

I start with a larger piece as the beam, two in the front to hold the joist., then nail the floorboards to the joist.

IMG_4873 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_4874 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_4875 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

The floorboards are being nailed on

IMG_4875 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

Using a wire brush mounted on a cordless drill, wire brush the redwood boards, giving them extreme weathering features.

IMG_4876 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_4877 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_4878 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

The variety of textures and colors is so typical of your builds and is just great. Nice job!

Thanks Jim

Thanks Dan, David and Devon, I Appreciate you compliments

Dennis

The front door and the 2 louvers

Untitled by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

Dennis what technique are you using for your chipped paint. If you said I missed it. It looks very good. A lot like the hairspray technique

Devon , Easy, the doors are 3D printed in white

spray painted in green

wire brushed with Brass brush in a dremel slow speed

2-3 coats of light brown, watered down, washed on with paint brush, set a few minutes

then rubbed down with paper towel.

Dennis, I agree with Devon, the doors look very realistic. Your painting technique gives a lot of depth to the layers of paint. Great job.

Thanks Dan, Brand new paint jobs are so easy, compared to old looking, but surprisingly this was quite simple, I had never done this type before.

Dennis

Dennis you are one of the masters of “old” looking

Thanks Devon

I just copy what I see in the mirror every morning (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Dennis Rayon said:

Thanks Devon

I just copy what I see in the mirror every morning (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Lol,

Good one.

My chimney needed to be made smaller, it is not easy to cut the parts down SAFELY. I used my table saw with a sled, set for 45 degrees cut, with a special hold down to

hold down the part safely, then sliding through the blade.

The finished chimney can be viewed in the finished models

IMG_4888 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

Ingenious, Dennis. Thanks for sharing.

Here is the rafters for the lean to shed. I cut them out of acrylic 1/16" thick, with the perlins out of 1/8". I notched the rafter to accept the perlin with

a locked in feature. The complete rafter display uses no glue, the joints fit quite snugly.

IMG_4963 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

The next picture shows what I use sometimes for my roof. I either use a 20Gage carbon steel or a thin aluminum. I use a foof that will turn the water regardless

how well the roofing (shingles or tarpaper ect) turns the water. This one is the 20 gage steel, I know most people do not have access to equipment to do this procedure.

This works very well for long lasting roofing systems that will endure all extremes of weathers.

IMG_4961 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

Nice looking roof structure, Dennis. Do you use a laser or CNC to cut the acrylic?

The bolt in the center will hold the roof down, the building does not show the board yet, I will fasten a board something like a ceiling, the front doors open

so i can put my hand inside to access the wingnut holding the roof on.

Thanks Dan

Laser