Large Scale Central

20 years of Large Scale Central

Probably one of the newest people on here, I think it was 2015 or16 when I joined, and it has been fun. Like one guy says, its the best site for G scale/gauge/size trains, Thanks Bob for allowing us to use your living room to have all this fun. Looking forward to meeting more of the people who hang out here. Thanks Bob!

Ken Brunt said:

Bob McCown said:

This made me curious about who is currently our earliest user that is still active. Turns out it’s Ken!

What did I win?..(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

A no expenses paid, 36 hour road trip with Fred Mills as your co-pilot. I’m sure someone will chip in a case of ice tea for the ride.

I’m ready…but after the Virus stuff is actually under control.

Jon…a trip with ken to your place would be great…Ken is a good person to travel with…

Fred

Congratulations!. This site has played a key role in helping me build my railroad. Thank you to Bob for starting it and to all those who help contribute to helping those starting up in this hobby.

Rooster said:

What ever happened to David Russell is he still around ?

Never heard of him.

Rooster said:

Sorted by date joined…NOT number of posts.

But, I HAVE seen him around.

Bob McCown said:

Rooster said:

Never heard of him.

Me either…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Bob McCown said:

Rooster said:

Never heard of him.

He’s not always on the same page as the rest of us…

Thanks for providing all the folks a great web site for trains for 20 years. Hope we get another 20. I learned a lot here also and enjoy watching new ways of building table top RRs. Later RJD

Bob Wenger said:

Although I seldom post, I check into this site every day and have greatly improved my knowledge thanks to the many folks who gladly share their wisdom and experience. Congratulations and keep up the good work…

Bob,

LSC would love to see any pics or video you have from SVGRS …was a member years ago and glad to see it’s still going!

Bruce Chandler said:

Rooster said:

Sorted by date joined…NOT number of posts.

okay

Having just updated my Linus operating system - not as straight forward as usual - I have just bookmarked LSC once more and catching up with the news.

It is quite an achievement Bob that you have been making for these twenty years. It seems I have been here almost thirteen of them and made just over 1800 posts! This is the Forum that I have always read, it has some great people here, helpful (for the most part) and friendly. Its also focuses on American railroads principally and that is what kept me here as that is what my little 'ole railroad in England aims to represent. I have, as most here have, learned a lot. Hopefully I have been able to give a little in exchange. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

No place, with so many differing types of folk and viewpoints are ever without aggravations, but you have kept the lid on those quite admirably.

Thanks for the effort you put into LSC and thank you for allowing me into your arena.

June 30, 2000 was an interesting time on this thing called the Internet. Many of us had started our large scale experience on a Listserv called “Big Train” long before that. Friendships were being formed and the Garden Railroad Conventions were a big deal. Not just seeing great layouts, but true conventions of putting faces with names. In the last week of June of 2000, a huge void was created in our online communication. Bob was one of the technical savy guys that stepped up to give all of us a platform to continue our friendships over the Internet. You can look at the list Bob put together of that first group and literally it was friends phoning and emailing others of the large scale community, saying check this site out.

20 years seems like a long time ago, or just a blink of an eye.

This is still a great site to take the time to check out.

Thanks Bob and Martha, also, for putting up with all of us.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Vic Smith said:

Wow it has been a while hasn’t it. Kinda had to do some personal reflection on this. Although I first got into large scale about '00 shortly after buying our house but I only lurked for years. I was very hesitant to participate in any online forums so I only read posts. When I did decide to participate the paywall at LSOL and certain members rather nasty attitudes was a big deterrent. So I only lurked, what drew me out of my shell was meeting folks at the Rusty Boat Show, the folks at MLS were open and friendly that got me to join about '04, I found LSCin '05 and joined in '06. I split my time pretty evenly between the two site, MLS was west coast based mostly and LSC east coast, so i got i great range of information from all over the country and life was good. Then Shad at MLS life got complicated and he decided to sell the site, and at first things were ok until the Great Thanksgiving F**kup, when some technochimpanzee with MLSs new owners either accidentally or “intentionally” deleted the entire photo storage of dozens of members, myself included, and wrecked access for hundreds more. Nothing but an “oh we’re sorry” So I bailed from there, and came here full time, I haven’t looked back.

So I am thankful to still have an online source of information and commarodery. I am grateful for your patience with us and for not throwing the site into electric oblivion although your patience has been sorely tried more than a few times. So in gratitude to our Benevolent Overlord and electric diety that keep the lights burning let us all join in praise of our Great Dictator and benefactor in wishing a Happy Birthday and singing the hymn " Please don’t Stir Fry us in a Wok"

After looking back and see what Vic Smith posted, I couldn’t help not bring this back up again.

We were about in the same boat with LSOl and MLS. We always keep checking in on LSC when Bob first started it, but we we’re more or less West Coast and LSC was more on the guys East Coasters. But, we we’re all in the same Hobby and it was fun to check in on all of them as we started up in 1998 in our Garden R.R.

Over the years we like most met a lot people at shows and having open houses. That how we met Mr Poke ( Aristo ) here at one of our open houses. I was griping about how the darn 10 R. track switch frogs was poorly built and then I was introduced to Mr. Poke. Well felt about 2 inches high then. But he laf. about it and said there was fix coming out.

In our time with the SVGRS Club, we met Mr Hillman. " Hillman Rail Clamps.". Told him about doing a Swing Bridge on our Koi pond and he jumped right into helping to fig. out how to make some kind of a bridge track joiner for it. Then about that same time he came up with Draw Bridge Rail Joiner and Track Expansion Rails. Stuff that was just not out there yet.

LSOL Cal. with Hillman photo and add, 2005 with our Swing Bridge in it.

So being off and on… and on the side, we finely joined LSC in 2008. Its " with Bob McC. " was a much easier laid back group and lots of fun just posting and cont. meeting and learning new things. Don’t quote me but Bob doesn’t take no Chit either.

Anyway …We been kind of picking up a few thing in memory of our hobby over the years now 85, here is a photo of Richard Smith R.R. box car. Also, a car by a fellow and his wife Susan that passed by here , " One year in the winter time and was raining off and on." was on their way to catch a plane back to NJ. This guy poster and show a LSC Hopper car that was made for 2017 i think. So ask him if he can make up a rail car for the Wife and I " Lost her a month ago." do to been around LSC for the 20 years, just to put up in our Ho Train building with others memory’s.

Here is the LSC 2020 car and Richard Smiths car now up in the Ho building.

Note: Had to ask Richard S. on how the heck did you have one door sliding right and the other side, the door sliding to the left. He said " It depended to what Frt.dock it went to… " LoL…

Sorry on this post so long, but great to have LSC.com around and hope BoB McC. can keep this part of the Garden R.R. Hobby going for a long ,long time…

Again… Thanks Bob McC. Noel

LSCX 17 is reported on tracks of the IPP&W, empty, and waiting on load at Craig Leigh. It appears to be a sister to LSCX 2020

Fred Mills

LSCX 17 is reported on tracks of the IPP&W, empty, and waiting on load at Craig Leigh. It appears to be a sister to LSCX 2020

Fred Mills

Well, LSC has spread from its home in Massachusetts to Canada, to California with sunshine all of the way.

Congrats! I’m not 100% sure but I think this was the first forum I came to when I started my layout and was looking for info, back in 2016.