Large Scale Central

This is madness!

http://www.firstgiving.com/tomruby When your friends and neighbors look at you strangely and wonder if you’re off your rocker, just think of that brat in the North Chicago 'burbs and know you’re quite sane in comparison. He is … this is too weird… At the age of 49, he is training for a marathon! What? Is he totally out of his mind? Does he really plan to run 26 miles 384 yards? Yes, he is totally out of his mind and he really is planning to run and walk 26 miles 384 yards in 6 1/2 hours or less October 12, 2008. Why? This might explain better than me babbling: http://www.worldvision.org/about_us.nsf/child/journey_of_hope?Open&lid=journey_text&lpos=rightnav How is it going? See my training blog at http://yourdoingwhat.blogs.friendster.com Goals: Funds raised: $1,000 Children sponsored: 2 Training: Averaging 12 1/2 minutes/mile for 20 miles

Tom,

Are you planning to wear shoes?

Shoes, yes.

It’s being hard to find a good pair of running overalls :smiley:

Good Luck, it’s a tough run. At age 34 ( and about 25 pounds overweight) I “ran” the Detroit Free Press International Marathon here in Detroit. I had 3 goals: 1) Finish before I passed out, 2) don’t be the last one in, and 3) if I was able to accomplish 1&2 then I’d like to do it in under 4 hours. I lucked out, did it in 3’51". I started “training” for it back in Apri as the race was in October. Trained 6 days a week, easy days of 5 miles, harder ones around 12-15. Participated in a lot of 10k funruns also some 10, 12, and 15 mile races to better prepare myself. If you set your mind to it, you can do it. Was really surpreised at how many other runners were a lot older than myself, GOOD LUCK !

Your training plan seems a bit like mine.

Right now, I’m working on getting my “30 minute run/walk” to be more plod and less trudge.

I think I started my run-walk too fast today. I ran farther before walking than I have before, but I was dragging by the time I turned around to get back. Was warm, sunny and breezy, a nice morning to be out.

“Patience, middle age couch potato. Before you can run like tortoise, you much achieve fleetness of sloth!”

I’m tiered just reading about all this your doing. Just give me a lawn chair and a remote. I’m happy.

Keep up the good work, your a better man then I.

Tom,

As a former LD runner I can feel your starting pain. :wink: :slight_smile:

BTW way back in 1983 I raised C$1000 for the Terry Fox run. Living in rural Ontario all the neighbours in a very large area knew that I ran. Two weeks before a scheduled marathon I had a minor run-in with my chainsaw which severed the top tendon to my left big toe. Spent a few weeks in a cast but was determined that I’d be at the TF run. Soooooooo I went collecting pledges while still in the cast; it was either so much per kilometer or a fixed amount.
Some people figured the kilometer route was the way to go; welllll I did 30K, as did my trusty dog (Husky/Golden Retriever cross) and C$1000 was the result.

Oh, since the running club laid out the course for the TF Run, we made sure it was a bit of a challenge, plenty of hills in the 10K. :wink:

It took a direct order from the Chief of Naval Operations to get me to run a mile and a half, twice a year.

Once, I walked it, just to see if I could come in under the time limit. I managed to piss off all the jocks on the ship because I made it in the time for the thirty-somethings. I was 45 at the time. :smiley:

Then they got wise and realized that if I could walk it in that time, anyone should be able to run it. It helped to motivate the slackers.

“C’mon, Schmidt, Doc made it in less time than you’ve got, and he walked it!”

Sooooooooo Steve does that mean you were a real plodder? :smiley: :wink: :smiley:

I used to plod on my recovery days after a marathon, speed went all the way to 8.5 min/mile. Long distance/easy days were run at no slower than 7.5min/mile.

It’s still not a sure thing. My “creatinins” were high in 2 tests in a row. I’ve never had kidney trouble that I know of, but the doc is worried. We adjusted medications and I realize I was feeling really lousy before the change. The final decision is next week and I figure things will be back to abnormal by then.

Where’s the tylenol?

Wow. 30K in a cast. You’re amazing, even if you were young and foolish then.

Tom Ruby said:
It's still not a sure thing. My "creatinins" were high in 2 tests in a row. I've never had kidney trouble that I know of, but the doc is worried. We adjusted medications and I realize I was feeling really lousy before the change. The final decision is next week and I figure things will be back to abnormal by then.

Where’s the tylenol?

Wow. 30K in a cast. You’re amazing, even if you were young and foolish then.

No, no, no not 30K in a cast! I just went collecting pledges while still in a cast, which lead some people to believe I wouldn’t hack the 30K once the cast came off. Little did they know … i.e. that I was giving the doctor fits because I was keeping fit riding a stationary bike, cast and all.

About the young and foolish, it’s relative, I was 38 at the time. :wink: :slight_smile:

38 is still young enough to be foolish. I was still playing tackle football at 35 in the Marine Corps League at Parris Island, SC. There are some who might say that was foolish.

I think you qualified as foolish.

Yes, HJ, I am a proud plodder! On my best day, I managed two 8 minute miles back to back. I thought I was going to die.

On a bike, though it is something different. My personal best for a century is 6:35. My personal best from Second Street in Honolulu to the top of Pali Pass is 31:20.

Steve Featherkile said:
38 is still young enough to be foolish. I was still playing tackle football at 35 in the Marine Corps League at Parris Island, SC. There are some who might say that was foolish.

I think you qualified as foolish.

Yes, HJ, I am a proud plodder! On my best day, I managed two 8 minute miles back to back. I thought I was going to die.

On a bike, though it is something different. My personal best for a century is 6:35. My personal best from Second Street in Honolulu to the top of Pali Pass is 31:20.

Yeah, but the year after I started doing short distance triathlons - of course I had to learn first how to swim properly. Up to that point I’d just plod in the water, :wink: however the foolishness was shortlived since I discovered that I’m allergic to chlorine. No endless number of lengths training in the pool. Oh well, such is life!

We used to run 4 miles in 32 minutes. In formation. Combat boots.

I can’t touch it now.

Bruce Chandler said:
We used to run 4 miles in 32 minutes. In formation. Combat boots. I can't touch it now.
Guy at school used to train for cross-country in combat boots. Come race day and regular running shoes, it was just a stroll in the park for him.

Marathon runners amaze me. I get tired DRIVING 26 miles sometimes…

Bob McCown said:
Marathon runners amaze me. I get tired DRIVING 26 miles sometimes....
At my age, I usually just sleep after 20 miles, and sleep drive the last 6.... Funny how the truck seems to know where it's going....... :)

Wow, this sounding a lot like the plot of the movie, “Run Fat Boy, Run!” Good movie, btw, funny but with a lot of heart.

Sheesh Ray, what a way to put it! :lol: :lol: :wink: