Large Scale Central

Airwire or Revolution?

If you’re running battery power, I would like to get a consensus on the throttle, receiver/decoder, sound source, and Lithium battery you’re using in your locomotives. I’m only interested in comparing the Airwire and Revolution systems (especially the ‘newer’ upgraded Revo II system) at this time.

I have four USA Trains GP-9’s, one USAT FA/FB set, one USAT NW-2, two LGB Moguls, and an Accucraft cable car. Quite a few diesels. One day I wake up and I’m all gung ho to buy Airwire parts; the next day I read the large scale Facebook pages and it seems like most train guys really like the Revo system. Two major dealers tell me that the Revo system is currently very popular with their customers and train club members. Others swear by Airwire. Cost is a big consideration and good sound is also important to me.

Options for me are:

1. Airwire T-5000 transmitter, drop-in decoder, Phoenix P8 sound card and battery. Costly.

2. Revolution transmitter, receiver board (w/built in sound), battery. Much less costly than the Airwire. Caveat here is the limited amount of diesel files available (one or two generic ones) so adding a Phoenix sound card with it’s large diesel sound library may be necessary. The cost then goes way back up.

So please help me get off the fence! I’d like to solicit your thoughts on the R/C system that you’re currently using and the reasons why you went that route. Appreciate it!

• Mike

Apples and oranges. The systems are very different. Both are very good. When these questions come up I always suggest as a first option to find a couple people who use these systems that will let you visit and try them yourself.

What about the Revolution DCC system? Inexpensive and you can use any DCC decoder, motor only or motor and sound.

Also, what about the AirWire equivalent with the Convrtr and a DCC decoder?

You might want to expand your choices.

Greg

I chose Airwire mostly because of hackability, which isn’t a common criterion. However, one of the things I really like is that it has a knob for speed. It’s very easy to operate without looking.

Instead of Phoenix which is sound only, or for more $$ the dcc version go with the DCC versions of battery/radio control. For small 1 motor engines Zimo has a full featured programmable decoder that controls motor, smoke, servos, lights, chuff input and is only $85 dollars.

Go to zimo.at to download the small decoders. The MX645 was made for HO but exceeds the specs for large scale… 30 volt at 1.2 amps and you can get the MX645 with the P22 for $100 and is 30 volt 1.8 amp total current.

The advantage of a full featured Ditital decoder is the back emf of a motor can be read and control the smoke unit fan and heater for more realistic operation. Steam engines going downhill can be programmed for no chuff and low smoke volume vs heavy load is loud chuff , lots of smoke.

My shay runs Airwire and Phoenix and I love them. My son’s rail truck is on the original Revo and I despise it. My biggest gripe about the Revo is the throttle input. I much prefer the rotary knob of the Airwire controller, but that is personal preference. CVP (Airwire) has great customer service also, which has been more than helpful to me. Also their repair service is pretty good. Phoenix sound is great, and can be tuned if you get the programmer cord to go with it. I know it’s more money, but I have chose to standardize on the Airwire / Phoenix combo.

So, I guess you agree with me Dan? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

“I have four USA Trains GP-9’s, one USAT FA/FB set, one USAT NW-2, two LGB Moguls, and an Accucraft cable car. Quite a few diesels.”

So, the HO DCC decoders will probably work with the cable car, maybe smaller LGB, but the rest of your fleet seems to need the higher current decoders, especially your jeeps, and the USAT F3 set…

Still, with the way things are headed, the safer long term route is to use standard DCC decoders with the “adapter” for your radio interface. This gives you the most flexibility for the future in your fleet, and the cost is NOT in the control system, but what you put in the locos.

The other factor not mentioned is the range of the system. The 2.4GHz system will give you more range and reliable operation, the 900MHz Airwire has less range due to FCC restrictions.

Greg

Go Revo !

Get your ham license, and you can operate Airwire at 1500 W. :slight_smile:

1500W?!! Who needs to control their train from 2 states away?

Besides Andy that is.

David Maynard said:

1500W?!! Who needs to control their train from 2 states away?

Besides Andy that is.

Who wouldn’t want to? Especially if you have an online security camera suite to monitor. Really make the neighbors wonder what you’re up to.

Any thoughts on G scale graphics?

Any thoughts on guys who derail threads? I have a few!

AirWire and Phoenix from the start. (Before REVO came along). Some guys shifted to Revo and I got a good deal on all the used AW boards. I have a lifetime supply of them.

Thats been a lot of years and I still have the originals. My only dislikes are the size of the original AW Board and it seems to trigger sounds at random once in a great while. I believe it is picking up a garage door opener or something. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

It seems that sound is a factor.

So, time to set priorities on the features to come to a conclusion.

1. size of throttle
  2. throttle battery life
  3. range & resistance to interference
  4. flexibility to interface to sound units
  5. cost
  6. ease of programming

Might want to flesh out the list and then take a whack at putting them in priority order. Then it becomes pretty simple to “score” each candidate system.

Greg

Michael, I hope you were not referring to me derailing threads because at then beginning of your post your comment stated “your thoughts on R/C systems” and that is what I was doing, besides in a later post by Greg Elmassian he stated “might want to expand your choices” and that is exactly what I was doing, besides when the thread is about Revolution, airwire, zimo what is 1 more going to hurt? Bill

Bill Barnwell said:

Any thoughts on G scale graphics?

They have rc systems as well … do not let the name fool you …

From the first post, by the OP:

“If you’re running battery power, I would like to get a consensus on the throttle, receiver/decoder, sound source, and Lithium battery you’re using in your locomotives. I’m only interested in comparing the Airwire and Revolution systems (especially the ‘newer’ upgraded Revo II system) at this time.

I think my answer fit the requirements, trying to keep on track for his decision making.

Greg

Bill Barnwell said:

Michael, I hope you were not referring to me derailing threads because at then beginning of your post your comment stated “your thoughts on R/C systems” and that is what I was doing, besides in a later post by Greg Elmassian he stated “might want to expand your choices” and that is exactly what I was doing, besides when the thread is about Revolution, airwire, zimo what is 1 more going to hurt? Bill

Bill - I thought I was already clear in my initial post. All I care about is comparing Airwire and Revolution ‘II’ and getting opinions from users who have had experience with one or both of those particular systems. That’s it! I have no interest in “expanding choices” or investigating other R/C systems. I deal with RLD, Reindeer Pass, and a local guy in the Bay Area when I need parts. Bill, I gave you a direct and detailed response on another thread with your question regarding the Phoenix P8 board. But I see now what you meant by “G Scale Graphics”. Thanks to Sean for clarifying.

Yes, I missed the first part about only wanting to compare the 2, sorry about that, I will leave the thread alone