Large Scale Central

The Blood Moon Eclipse, Please share your photos

OK so astronomy is another passing hobby, so I couldn’t resist taking pictures of this beautiful event. Wish I had a bigger lens. But these were taken with a 300mm running a range of settings. Most were ISO 400-800, Exposure of 1" to 5", and all were taken with an f stop of 5.6 the widest my aperture will go.

Being on the west coast gave us an opportunity to begin viewing this while we still had a little sunlight. Then it got pitch black by the time it was coming out so I was able to get some different shots. I am no profession but I think I did alright given that I only had 300mm to work with. Wish I had a 1200mm telephoto.

I was shooting it trying to get an airplane passing in front. I got a few around it, but none right in front.

I find that the moon is actually very bright and I was shooting in manual at F8-11, 160-200th sec, ISO 100 on the Nikon 750 with a Nikkor 300 mm.

Todd Brody said:

I was shooting it trying to get an airplane passing in front. I got a few around it, but none right in front.

I find that the moon is actually very bright and I was shooting in manual at F8-11, 160-200th sec, ISO 100 on the Nikon 750 with a Nikkor 300 mm.

Can’t wait to see what you came up with

There was one cloud in the sky, not thick enough to obscure, but not a clear shot either…

I like yours.

John

down here, the blood-moon was bloody big, bloody dark, but not bloody red.

Use the same setting to shoot the moon that you would use for daylight, here on Terra. Think about that for awhile… Like Todd said, its very bright. ISO 100, use f 16 @ 125

See I messed with ISO of 100-200 and they just didn’t bring out the color like 400 and 800 did. And by far and away the best exposures were 1" to 5" on a tripod shot with the mirror locked up and the timer set. Didn’t mess with f stop as my low setting is 5.6. Now this was when the moon was fully eclipsed and dark. When it started coming out things radically changed and I didn’t adjust fast enough and it was over exposed.

My biggest problem was not realizing that the auto focus was not doing its job. So I struggled until I switched to manual.

When the moon rose behind the hill, it was almost in total eclipse and most of mine came out too dark for publishing.

Then as soon as the moon starts to come out of eclipe, there is too much contrast. This one caught a jet in proximity.

If you want detail in the moon, you have to use Manuel, not Otto. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)Set the aperture on f 16 and the speed on the ISO. If you are shooting a special circumstance like an eclipse, you’ll have to bracket it a bit. Set speed on ISO and f-stop on 5.6 or so. Then, increase or decrease the f-stop one setting until you like the result.

I experimented with full (250MM) Zoom and Bulb exposure at F8. At about 5 seconds I got the most detail, but during that time both the Earth and the Moon moved so it blurred a bit. I have several hundred, this was my pick to post.

Steve Featherkile said:

If you want detail in the moon, you have to use Manuel, not Otto. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)Set the aperture on f 16 and the speed on the ISO. If you are shooting a special circumstance like an eclipse, you’ll have to bracket it a bit. Set speed on ISO and f-stop on 5.6 or so. Then, increase or decrease the f-stop one setting until you like the result.

Yup that’s how it was done. I took about 20-30 pictures until I was able to get it bracketed. I just didn’t even think about auto focus until about ten pictures in. Once I switched it got better. Still to small of lens for great detail. Plus lack of experience.

Yeah 5 seconds was max. Best was about 1-2.5. Anything more and it crept.

My wife & I stayed up later than usual to see it, but the cloud cover was still too thick.

So thanks for the pics Devon, nice shots.

Here was my pics from over Honduras last night. Taken using a Canon 70D and a 50-250 lense. Unfortulately the clouds moved back in right after it started changing

Devon

Good thread and nice pics and I was hoping to get some pics myself but as Cliff stated nothing but cloud cover here.

Hoping for pics from others!

Nice Aaron!

Looking for more…don’t care if they are perfect or not…let’s see them!

You guys in the midwest had no weather related excuses from what I heard

Aaron Loyet said:

Here was my pics from over Honduras last night. Taken using a Canon 70D and a 50-250 lense. Unfortulately the clouds moved back in right after it started changing

Aaron,

interesting to see the perspective from farther south. The thing I noticed right off is that it looks like the earth eclipsed the moon through the center where in the northern latitudes (where I am) it went through the top. If you look at my pics the bottom of the moon stayed brighter where yours is bright straight at 3 o’clock.

I actually like the wispy cloud cover. To bad you couldn’t follow it through to the other side. We got lucky in the NW not a cloud to be found.

Thanks for the photos. I had it in mind to view the eclipse, but the evening passed just as it did from my mind(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

Devon, very true. Didn’t even notice till you mentioned it. Unfortunately I missed most of the red stage, by the time it reappeared from the clouds it was pretty far out. Here it is towards the end after it reappeared.

We had a storm coming through the area all night, but here is when the moon broke through the clouds right before it started turning red!