Large Scale Central

USAT Heavyweights

Since the Aristo ones have been inspected and discussed to death, the consensus was that they were very accurate 1:29. Since we know USAT will be very true to scale, They should be fine together, although often Aristo cars need lowering, and of course you will need to address couplers.

From the site, they will be providing:

USAT will make:

• combine (they call baggage/club)
  • coach
  • diner
  • sleeper
  • observation

Aristo made:

• combine
  • coach
  • diner
  • pullman (close to sleeper)
  • observation
  • rpo
  • baggage

So, I will keep and use my Aristo full baggage, and my RPO. I might mix in some other cars, but most likely not, even though it was prototype.

Probably also add an REA express box car up front too

Greg

Yeap, pretty much my thoughts Greg, I was simply interested in the MONO-MONO side by side comparison. I’m enthusiastically awaiting the release of the USAT HW’s. I suspect there will be a glutton of Aristo HW’s for sale in the near future. I’ll likely thin my mob of Aristo HW’s while retaining a plethora of same to create the common mixed consists Southern Pacific employed.

Michael

Exactly my thinking too!

I see that the NEW arrival date according to the RO website has changed from April/May to EXPECTED AVAILABILITY BY 08/16/2019.

If anybody cares, I asked at the ECLSTS about producing a Baggage Car. I got blind stares and when I stared back, I got “I dunno”.

So, it’s getting close the supposed middle of August arrival dates. Anyone have any new information about these? I sure would like to have mine before my August 26th pre-convention open house.

Paul Burch said:

So, it’s getting close the supposed middle of August arrival dates. Anyone have any new information about these? I sure would like to have mine before my August 26th pre-convention open house.

You could call Charles Ro and ask … 1-800-225-4425

I see the Charles Ro website now says April 16, 2020.

Ah yes, the ever slipping arrival date. I have seen this before…

Ok failing to see where on website it says April of 2020

Hey at least they’re still here …

Joseph,

Go to the USA section on the Charles Ro website. Then go to the heavyweight section in the Ultimate Series cars. Click on anyone of the cars. The delivery by date is about in the middle of the page. They had pre-production samples of the cars at the national convention in August. They are really nice. Only thing I questioned was the diaphragms. They are pretty rigid and might be a problem.

Do you think that the China - USA trade war and the import taxes mite have something to do with the date of delivery

Wayne Jardine said:

Do you think that the China - USA trade war and the import taxes mite have something to do with the date of delivery

No. Delays like this are “normal” in the hobby in both large scale and smaller scales. Remember, basically only 1 factory (Kader) in China is producing model trains. The project that is number 10 in line to get produced gets bumped back every time project 1-9 has a delay… So unless USAT (or other companies) jump from number 10 to,number the production timeline is delayed. This isn’t including delays due to design changes from the first production sample. These factories in. China aren’t sitting still waiting for a design. I’ve noticed a new trend in the smaller scales that smaller companies will wait to release the announcement of the product until they have received the production amounts.

Thanks Rooster just keep teasing us.

I caught a few pictures in Oregon.

Truck detail:

More on https://elmassian.com/index.php/large-scale-train-main-page/rolling-stock-mods-aamp-tips/usat-rolling-stock/usat-heavyweights

Wow, they do look pretty.

This is a related question to the heavy weight cars since the same situation can come up. My smoothside passenger cars are coming in from Fred. I need to convert one coupler on the baggage car to couple up to my E-8’s. Which is easier and how do I convert the coupler. Either changing out the coupler on the baggage car to Aristo Craft coupler or changing out the coupler on the E-8 to a USA coupler. The baggage coupler has springs that allow for slack and I am not sure how you could modify an AC coupler to work. The USA coupler has a tab on the back and I am not sure if it is long enough to work. Any suggestions?

Have you looked @ ka-dee : https://www.kadee.com/

They have springs as well depends on which/what is offered for an E-8

They should match/couple with USA’s