Large Scale Central

Scratch GE ES44AC build

So yesterday, I didn’t get anything done. Today started off the same. I did get some ballast to start things off. My girl made pizza and there was extra sauce left. So I did think of a good use for it!

… oh and I did get a little more done on the fuel tank. I still have to flush the edges of the thin top cover panels.

DSC_2217DSC_2218

Well, I tried to spread ballast but the rain came again.

DSC_2221

So I went inside and tried to make some cab roof panels.

DSC_2220

I started cutting panels for detail. I’ll have to figure out how to make the no slip raised centers on them?

I also need to make the triangular lift rings that are on this GE’s roof panels. Maybe someone already makes them in brass?

DSC_2224

Check out archer raised decals.
This might work?
http://www.archertransfers.com/AR88021.html

I got some rivets from them and some vents for the SD70ACe. I should have looked more, thanks!

I tried to get them to make some EMD side panel latches for G scale and they weren’t interested.

What size rivets did you use?

Are you looking for paddle latches like this?
https://www.shapeways.com/product/J2S7PH2KK/paddlelatch?optionId=55973235

Contact Burl, as I think he has a mold master for these.

Yes, they are the ones. $ 112 is a lot though.

I forget on the rivets? Something on a roof panel?

I like their vents.

Burl might be able to redesign the file to a lower price point. Shapeways just added a $1per part charge, so I’m guessing that is why its so high.

I started work on the lights. I cut in the front headlight recess and added the panel. I also did the rear (tail?) lights. I will still need to cut in the sand fill panel on the rear and add plates to hold the front ditch lights.

DSC_2231DSC_2232DSC_2233

Looking really good, Joe. Off subject quickly, I am using the same blocks for the wall around my layout, I, being 6’4" and slightly ok, ok heavy weighted in the front midsection am building mine 4 rows tall, how happy are you with 3 rows, everything easy reach without bending over to grunt and groan range? Thanks, Pete If 3 works really well I might drop off a layer and see how it is.

Angles/lines are looking good !

Thanks Boss!

Pete, as many will tell you it is tuff to get down on the ground as we get older. I prefer the look of the RR on the ground though. So I have tracks that run up to my shed that are waist high. That helps when I’m building different trains from off the storage shelves.

If I lived on some bigger land, I would have full trains staged, ready to run.

Thanks Joe, I will stick with 4 rows for my layout, getting started laying the blocks and hope to have some progress soon to show pictures for the doubting Thomas’s, Maynards, McGillicuttys and Roosters that seem to love tospur people to action. Anyway more progress on the loco is a good thing, soon it will be earning its keep… right?

I’m putting in the lights and wiring. I installed a PS2 harness and added a polarity switch for nothing. Now I found a PS3 kit so I’ll start over!

DSC_2241DSC_2242

some of the first of many panels…

DSC_2245

Coming along real good Joe , thats gonna be real nice when it is finished. I have one of the MTH dash 8’s just sitting there that I don’t use . From the deck down it looks like it may be kitbash fodder for a future project I might start someday. I have been thinking of converting it into a genset locomotive similar to one of the UP versions they did from some U-23’s . The truck and fuel tank kinda match . Watching this build is making me look harder at it.

Mike, you could use those trucks and electronics in many different engines. I don’t know which -8 you have? Four or six axle?

If it’s the four that I had spare, I could see making the Genset myself and probably would mate with my scratch MP15AC pretty well. Probably would look good in consist with any modern engines or alone in the yard.

Hmmm, maybe I will look at that too!

for now, many wires to connect.

DSC_2265

I sent you a package …just give me a call when it arrives!