Large Scale Central

Rebuilding WW&F #9

Rooster—I have certainly been in the smokebox, but I doubt it was me in that photo. I Think I know the photo…I am not sure who that was.

well here are some more photos

One of my interesting jobs was machining the new whistle

That is me holding the whistle. It was designed based on what we know about whistle design and what our engine had in its lifetime. this is a “hooter” single note whistle which was what the Portland Sompany supplied in 1891.

this is the assembled whistle. the slot around the base is where a wall of steam comes out which sets the air in the “bell” to resonating which makes the sound.

the bit on the table is the valve spool the tapered head on the right side is what closes off the steam. The fat part of the web will be milled to accept the whistle lever which pulls the valve spool away from the opening allowing steam to flow.

I am a bit behind on my posts here…so I will show off some of my other work

one of the finials on the end of the hand rails was missing. I made a two peice pattern to cast a new one. shown here with the original.

I have become the Village Blacksmith at the shop lately. this is a bracket to hold the lamp which lights the steam gauge in the cab…Kinda overkill railroad style!

Brackets to hold the generator exhaust and the exhaust from the Eames brake ejector up near the steam dome.

handle for the sander actuator.

mechanism to open boiler blow-down valve using a foot peddle.

Firebox damper control handle

tender tank hold down rod attachment palms

rear tank ladder

another project was the cylinder cocks. the originals needed refurbishment and the mechanism needed replacement.

bent and repaired with solder

New threaded end, new valve spool fixed soldered end

different valves on the other side!

here is the mechanism under the cylinders. the bar slides back and forth, a ramp on the bar for each cock opens the valves.

the hand rail twists to actuate the cylinder cocks here is the link down to the cylinders…that is “my” finial on the end of the handrail.

Great stuff Eric! Very nice job machining the whistle. The finish looks fantastic. Really looks like you guys are getting to the more “trivial” details now, which has to be a good feeling. You picked a good time of year to start blacksmithing. Interesting but not too surprising that they had two different types of drain cocks. Seems to be the narrowgauge way to use what you have. Keep up the great work and posts, really enjoying them.

Awesome work…your handy. 1:1 scratch building looks fun.

Yea, what he said…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Great pictures. Nice to see the lettering being done in gold leaf - Class!

EDIT to clear up confusion: I saw your lettering photo in the album, not in this post.

We are nearing the end of the project…hoping to run her any day now.

Yesterday the lettering was done by a professional sign painter…the type of guy who hand letters the stern of yachts.

here he is painting the “sizing” on. this is basically varnish with some white paint. We had a stencil made from the original lettering as a guide for the size and shape of the lettering. he is quite capable of doing without but we wanted to try to match the old style on the loco when she was in service on the WW&F Ry.

when the sizing was tacky, he laid on metal “leaf”. The original Portland Company specs talked about aluminum leaf this is some modern alloy and vanishingly thin. it comes on a sheet of paper which is rubbed onto the sizing. the leaf sticks and the paper comes away.

here is the leaf stuck to the sizing.

he then rubs the letters with a cotton ball…maybe its wool, I didnt ask.

the rubbing works the metal leaf down onto the surface and removes the excess around the letters. it sticks to the sizing.

he had me vacuum up the excess. apparently, any little breeze will blow it around. it would then stick to any fresh paint. he was gold leafing the name on the stern of a large yacht as the crew was varnishing the cabin when a gust blew the gold all over, including the new varnish. It must have looked cool but it wasnt what the crew was going for and they had to sand it all off and start again.

Friday, I plan to go in and varnish over the entire cab and tank to seal this work with a resistant coating. two coats!

Eric Schade said:

the hand rail twists to actuate the cylinder cocks here is the link down to the cylinders…that is “my” finial on the end of the handrail.

Nice job on the Finial.

I’m surprised you didn’t turn one in brass.

Wouldn’t brass look a bit out of place on a locomotive with blackened metal parts?

Yes … but he does such a nice job @ turning items

True, he has skills that I do not have. The finial looks original, a real first class job.

I spent black Friday with brush in hand vanishing the cab and tank. Now it is very shiny black! The lettering looks good too. Sorry I forgot my camera, I’ll be back at it tomorrow maybe I’ll remember it then.

here is a photo from yesterday…the lettering looks crystallized like frost on a window pane which is really a cool interesting look!

the varnish is really glossy! None of that weathered look on our newly restored engine!

Great posting Eric. What a way to learn about steam details (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Beautiful craftsmanship on display here.Good job. Tom

Wow. Did this engine ever look this good during it’s working life?

Dave, probably on the day she was delivered.

We are basically trying to use materials and techniques that replicate the materials and techniques of the Portland Co. In 1891. We have also tried to keep the patina and dents of 50 years of use and 50 yes of storage and the look of her time on the WW&F back in the thirties… Which brings into play some odd combinations.

Eric Schade said:

We are basically trying to use materials and techniques that replicate the materials and techniques of the Portland Co. In 1891. We have also tried to keep the patina and dents of 50 years of use and 50 yes of storage and the look of her time on the WW&F back in the thirties… Which brings into play some odd combinations.

Sounds like a model rail road club trying to determine “what era to model the layout.”

Doc Tom