Large Scale Central

New Rockwall Canyon RR 7/13/14

Hi folks,

Today marks the first day of having visitors on the New RCRR. The Rockwall Canyon has come along way since early spring, when it became apparent that the soil conditions dictated a need for some crushed stone drainage.

Now that the water can drain from the railroad bank, I decided to back fill it with 1-3/4in stone to keep the flow moving away.

Here’s the same spot again a few weeks later!

…And again today!

Joe and Kevin from NHGRS came over today for my first open house of the new railroad. I had a great time, and I think everyone else did too!

Here’s some photos from today starting with Joe’s trains:

Here’s Joe’s DODX Army/Navy extra waiting in the Rockwall Canyon yard for other traffic to pass.

H

Kevin brought a nice coal train and a former CAT NW2!

For all the photos please visit: http://picasaweb.google.com/101933014325341704583/NewRockwallCanyonExeterRiverLine?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Oooh. A pair of UP MACs! Very Nice!
I’m a sucker for the modern stuff.
The RR is looking great too. You must have some big real estate.

Looking great Jeff. That looks like a lot of stone to haul.

Joe Paonessa said:

Oooh. A pair of UP MACs! Very Nice!
I’m a sucker for the modern stuff.
The RR is looking great too. You must have some big real estate.

Thanks Joe!

The SD70s were just visiting today, but I was thrilled to have them over to see how they would look! I can picture a nice set of NS or CP Macs in the future! (Maybe one of each?)

Jon Radder said:

Looking great Jeff. That looks like a lot of stone to haul.

Thanks Jon! So far I’ve moved 3 yards of 1-3/4 crushed, 8 yards of 3\4 gravel mix, and 3 yards of heavy grit stone dust! I suppose the field stone is a little harder to measure. The good news…it was all moved down hill to the site!

Looks great Jeff!

Hey I was happy to bring them over and try out the new run. Thanks for hosting!! Now can’t wait to see what improvements you are planning next!

Nice railroad & pictures…

And I just love the tools you used to move all that crushed stone. :slight_smile:

Good pics and the RR looks great…I really like the shot with Kevins coal train!

Hi Jeff, congrats on the opening the new Rockwall Canyon RR. We are sorry to miss your operating day. Kevin and Joe reported the trains ran well and you have a great start.

Hope to come by soon. Don

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the positive feedback on the layout.

And, yes!!! I do occasionally use the kiddo shovels for ballasting haha. I still don’t have much use for the sand castle mold yet, but im sure it will come in handy some day! The kids have actually been a big help in building the railroad and testing out new routes.

Thanks Don! We’ll look forward to having you over some time. I usually try to be out there Fri, Sat, or Sun, (and sometimes that turns into all three days).

If these don’t behave, I may sell them to you!!
(http://www.largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/17/c5/01/1c253_6b3d.jpg?c=e3f6)
It was a bad day. All’s well now.

Wow! that is really cool. That yard just under the foot bridge is very nice! Love that foot bridge too!

Hah that’s more power than I have trains to pull!

I do like that BNSF swoosh MAC tho…I guess I’ll be going down to Charles Ro’s place sometime soon!

(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-vAIIUFNtfFI/U8M5qS1GacI/AAAAAAAAB-Y/e7_8P4EqKEY/s576/IMG_0487.JPG)Matt Russell said:

Wow! that is really cool. That yard just under the foot bridge is very nice! Love that foot bridge too!

Thanks Matt! The bridge became necessary after the railroad completely transversed my property. I needed a way to get over the tracks to access the back land, and it had to be tough enough to support a loaded wheelbarrow. I started off with a reinforced grade crossing, but due to the slope of the footpath, the crossing was awkward. To avoid errosion issues i had the footpath approach level out before the tracks and then continue downward. Once i added the second track to the crossing concept i knew there wouldnt be a comfortable way to cross without having an overpass.

Very nice layout. Post more when you can.

Wow your railroad is really nice ! Wish I had the land you have there , how long does it take to go the distance ?

The railroad came out great. Love the look of freshly ballasted track.