Large Scale Central

New car float

Ric Golding said:

Pete Thornton said:

I always liked the Bronx Terminal of the CRRofNJ. Now that’s a place where R1 curves would be appropriate!

Isn’t this an interesting picture? The float bridge approach must be on property extending along the river’s edge. The truck on the bottom left may be trying to get in to the terminal, but is blocked by cars sitting on the crossing. I don’t see a box cab or a source of power. Right next to the building on the left side, looks to be some form of an idler car. Note also the above track derrick for unloading a flat, plus the team tracks where cargo is transferred directly to the awaiting trucks or visa versa. note the firewalls in the wharehouse. And the "Make Mine Ruppert"sign. Didn’t somebody build a version of this? Seems like there was talk of it at York, one year.

Tim Warris (of Fast Tracks) has built one (or mostly one). Here’s a neat video of it.

That’s some interesting track work leading onto the car float.

A most interesting place and providing I had room to build it maybe I could while away a few hours switching it all. Not wishing to destroy the character of what I already have it must stay a pipe dream.

The Erie 28th Street freight yard provided the trackwork layout for Oakhill on my own RR

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/err28.html

I also noticed the 3 way switches in that “yard” too. It looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Ric Golding said:

Pete Thornton said:

I always liked the Bronx Terminal of the CRRofNJ. Now that’s a place where R1 curves would be appropriate!

Isn’t this an interesting picture? The float bridge approach must be on property extending along the river’s edge. The truck on the bottom left may be trying to get in to the terminal, but is blocked by cars sitting on the crossing. I don’t see a box cab or a source of power. Right next to the building on the left side, looks to be some form of an idler car. Note also the above track derrick for unloading a flat, plus the team tracks where cargo is transferred directly to the awaiting trucks or visa versa. note the firewalls in the wharehouse. And the "Make Mine Ruppert"sign. Didn’t somebody build a version of this? Seems like there was talk of it at York, one year.

I’ve always found it a fascinating place. (The ones Bob mentioned are just up the river - seems there were Bronx Ter.minals for all the major railroads.) Trainweb has a good article:

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/crrnjbxt.html

Somebody did do this in G Scale, but danged if I can remember who or where. I do remember I scrapped my idea of doing it after I found out it had already been done.

Lou Luczu said:

Somebody did do this in G Scale, but danged if I can remember who or where. I do remember I scrapped my idea of doing it after I found out it had already been done.

I’m pretty sure there’s an HO model, but I never heard of a G scale one. Alan Friedland at G.A.L. is a fan of the CRRofNJ, and would probably help you make one!

Pete Thornton said:

Lou Luczu said:

I’m pretty sure there’s an HO model, but I never heard of a G scale one. Alan Friedland at G.A.L. is a fan of the CRRofNJ, and would probably help you make one!

There are various HO and N scale versions of these. But none in LS. If I was starting today I would do one (or two) of them in my yard. You could model the whole thing in less space than I’m using now.

This would be great fun to operate, but it might take a lifetime to build accurately - this is just one of the complex track pieces needing to be built (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Not quite a carfloat, and german outline, but close…

J

Bridge haven!

Make mine a Ruppert!

Jon Radder said:

This would be great fun to operate, but it might take a lifetime to build accurately - this is just one of the complex track pieces needing to be built (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Piece of cake, Jon! :slight_smile:

(smiley captioned for the humor impaired)

Neat little ferry. We could have a car float in Bob’s garden pond yet . .

And while I remember, that HO model car float with the small dismal isn’t doing things right. The prototype used a flat car or two as an idler, as the loco wasn’t allowed on the float itself due to weight. (On my first photo, Ric pointed out the flatcar on one side of the building - the loco must have been right behind.)

**Pete Thornton said:**The prototype used a flat car or two as an idler, as the loco wasn’t allowed on the float itself due to weight.

Well, that being a rule there have to be exceptions or all is not right with the universe :smiley:

And the Canadians are no exception to being an exception; here’s an early GP-something hitching a ride across the bounding main.

Or was it a lake?

Actually, I think I remember reading somewhere, MR, Trains, it was a regular service for a time.

http://mmrrc.blogspot.com/2013/01/car-float-evil.html

Pete Thornton said:

Neat little ferry. We could have a car float in Bob’s garden pond yet . .

And while I remember, that HO model car float with the small dismal isn’t doing things right. The prototype used a flat car or two as an idler, as the loco wasn’t allowed on the float itself due to weight. (On my first photo, Ric pointed out the flatcar on one side of the building - the loco must have been right behind.)

Somewhere on this site

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/IndustrialLocos.html

in the pages about the NY harbor railroads, is a photo of a steam engine switching a float, and the float is leaning WAAAAAY over. But danged if I can find it now. :frowning:

For those who enjoy curiosity builds maybe this will get your juices flowing :

The second locomotive used at the 207th Street float bridge, would more correctly be referred to as a “work motor”, as it was electrically powered via the third rail. This locomotive is also referred to as a “drill motor”.

The following information is courtesy of the Trolley Museum of New York:

"Two were originally built by Magor Car Builders in 1930 for the IND 207th St. Shop. Equipped with Westinghouse control switches and trolley car high voltage type controller with dead man feature, they were numbered 41 and 42.

The Drill Motors were originally equipped with large spring loaded high voltage cable reels, mounted on the deck at the end of the car. The wire had a special clamp on the end which connected with the 3rd rail. This maintained 600 volt power to the Drill Motor allowing it to move off the 3rd rail and into the shop to couple up to the dead cars. The cars were then pulled out on to the 3rd rail. As the Drill Motor moved out, the cable would automatically wind up on the reel.

In 1948 the reels were removed for safety reasons and the Drill Motors were assigned to yard switching. They would make up refuse trains that were used nightly to pick up refuse from each station on the line.

The two large boxes mounted on the platform over the motor truck are filled with sand and scrap metal and were so placed to add weight and give the Drill Motor more tractive effort.

#41 and sister #42 worked the garbage collection trains on the IND system and were later used as yard switchers. #42 was involved a collision in 1948 and was placed in storage until 1955 at 207th St Yard, at which time it was scrapped."

Authors note: I have come across both 1930 (TMNY) and 1932 (www.nycsubway.org) build dates for these motors. Which is correct in unknown.

^ #41 - December 6, 1947 - 207th Street Yard, Manhattan, NY
Note float bridge gantry to left of locomotive.
unknown photographer
B. Russell collection
added 20 January 2010

^ #41 - unknown date - 207th Street Yard, Manhattan, NY
unknown photographer
J. Testagrose collection
nycsubway.org archives
added 20 January 2010

Info taken from: http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/nycta207.html

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

That Bronx Terminal is fascinating! The whole thing is so unusual. I’ve never even heard of a warehouse built roundhouse-style until now. And then there’s the tight double ring of tracks around it, and all those super-short stub tracks! It would make a great mini-layout.

Ray Dunakin said:

That Bronx Terminal is fascinating! The whole thing is so unusual. I’ve never even heard of a warehouse built roundhouse-style until now. And then there’s the tight double ring of tracks around it, and all those super-short stub tracks! It would make a great mini-layout.

Exactly. The track plan is a really neat puzzle. All cars come in and out of the car float. They need to be stored until they can be unloaded at one of the doors of the warehouse. The warehouse doors are optimized for 40 foot cars, and you shouldnt move a car in the process of being unloaded. I can see ‘timers’ on cars once you spot them to be unloaded.

If you wanted to, you could model the industries off the left side, too, along the Mott Haven canal.

If you’ve never spent the time to read Tim Warris layout blog and story of why he created Fast Tracks its a very pleasant read. He did an amazing job building the terminal.