Large Scale Central

Miks Challenge 2015 Vic Smith

You are, or you’re…

Fred Mills, BSc, BS, SD (Hons) said:

You are, or you’re…

Yor :wink:

you’uns, ye’all, urine (oh what that’s something else)

Twice in one day I have been called out on your verses you’re. You know how long it took me until I figured out which their/there to use when. I make no claim to being an intelligent spelling or grammar guy.

It is horrible I know, I know.

I took a class in Creative Speling while in colledge. I got an A, too. :slight_smile:

Vic Smith said:

Who knew?

Thank you. Didn’t know this existed, and now I know EXACTLY what to get for someone’s birthday…

No problem Johnathan, however I think the coffee stains cost extra

Devon Sinsley said:

you’uns, ye’all, urine (oh what that’s something else)

Twice in one day I have been called out on your verses you’re. You know how long it took me until I figured out which their/there to use when. I make no claim to being an intelligent spelling or grammar guy.

It is horrible I know, I know.

Do not worry, Fred will keep you straight…:wink:

Fred would have kittens width me. I hads ta learn Ebonics when I was fixen copier in Pinn Heals. That’s Penn Hills in Engalish.

I like the Haynes manual. I had the Chilton’s Manual for my first truck, but now-a-days the Haynes manual is what is available.

I guess I had better get building, of course mine isn’t going to look nearly that good.

Vic Smith said:

No problem Johnathan, however I think the coffee stains cost extra

It can’t be considered an official 'Wallace and Gromit" without the coffee stain and the torn cover. :slight_smile:

Vic Smith said:

…the biggest problem using cardstock is gluing then waiting, even using CA as a spot weld is no guarantee. …spending most of day eating cheese and crackers waiting for the Elmers to dry.

Hiya Vic!
I’m just getting around to reading all these build logs after being sick as a dog most of January.
Right now I’m on your page one.

So here’s a little tip for you:

Elmers and similar PVA glues, both white and yellow, can be handled so they dry almost instantly with no waiting. The secret is to use these glues the same way you use contact cement.

Spread a thin film of the glue on both surfaces. Leave these films exposed to the air until they have almost but just not quite dried. With very little practice you’ll soon be able tell exactly when they’re ready. You keep the glue thin, y’see, so it dries practically before your very eyes. If the glue is ready before you are, just apply another thin coat. Now, just before they lose their tack entirely, press the two surfaces together and presto! You have an instant bond!!! There isn’t anything like enough glue in there to squeeze out the edges, just enough to make that bond. The bond will be absolutely as reliable as the old glue and clamp and wait 'til it dries method. In fact this method allows you to press things tight and be certain there is little or no warping of the card stock. A note of caution: As with true contact cement, when you use this method, you’d better be quite certain to get your two parts aligned just right.

Cheers. Now I must get back to your story…

John, that’s a trick I haven’t tried.

I use Arlene’s Tacky glue for card-stock. Its a thick white glue, maybe its Elmer’s with less water in it, I dunno. Either way, I spread an even coat, not too thick, and then press the card-stock together. It grabs right away, and is dry pretty quick. I even used it to build an N scale trestle out of strip-wood. With so little water in it, it doesn’t cause warping. I got it at Jo Anne Fabrics. Yes, I shop there too for bits a bobs.

A great build, Vic. You sure got the fun factor in there!

Well I THOUGHT I was done…took pics and even a video, but I am adding one more little tidbit that negates all the pics I took…more on that later.

As of today, my Crack Science Ninja Team are charging ahead to the finish line:

Atomic transmogrifying generator powering up, an amazing device of Wallaces invention, it converts the odor particles of particularly strong cheese via atomic fusion into particles when ignited produce a tremendous amount of thrust per Mg of stinkyness, so the smellier the cheese the greater the power. Wallace has chosen a particularly aromatic slice of Limburger Cheese that was then layered with a slice of Stinking Bishop cheese, both were then left to ferment in a shed out back since the competition began.

If there is a problem there is a kill switch that will eject the cheese from the core but Wallace highly advised to never use it as it would coat the entire county in radioaromaticative cheese particles that could render the county uninhabitable due to the shear stinkyness. The emergency don’t-pull-this-unless-you-really-mean-it kill switch perches precariously over Gromits head:

Gromit does seem to overly preoccupied by the kill switch:

As you can see the Harumphilator particle ram scope and radar seeking Anti-Fink detector are active,

Gromit was especially concern over possible sabotage attempts by our chief rival Prof. Fate, so he insisted on adding a very sensitive anti-fink detector that can spot a rat fink at 1000 yards, but Fate’s whereabouts remain unknown after rumors of a tragic event occurring in New Mexico, exact outcome of Fate’s fate still remain unclear, some say it was the Professors own plan for the Red Comet backfired on him, or that his man servant had finally “had enough” and did him in, other say he’s just hiding in the shadows waiting to reveal himself and his latest invention in his own time, we shall see.

The Harumphfilator collects and dissipates negative thought energy waves, it’s a unique theory of Wallace’s and one that the pair have always included in some small degree on every invention, Wallace claims it why they are always so successful. Wallace believes negative thoughts create negative energy waves, those energy waves then effect the object those negative waves were focused on, creating numerous problems such as equipment failures. these problems were once attributed to ‘gremlins’ or ‘bad luck’ or other such causes, but Wallace firmly believes its why our chief rival Prof. Fate’s inventions always end in smoke and tears. Think about it, Fate’s attempt at an aerial flying record ended crashing in a pig sty, his attempt at a land speed record also ended crashing in a pig sty, although he did set a American air altitude record on that attempt that stood for many years. Whenever Fate attempts a record or invents something, his stated goals are usually greeted by the public with doubt and press with outright derision, all those negative thought waves? It might have even had an effect of this year’s invention, we shall see.

So there we are to date, heading for the final countdown, one last little detail for today, it was really Gromit’s idea:

I tell you, he has some strange preoccupations for a dog.

Very entertaining story. I also like all the decals and stickers. This thing is beautiful.

Doc Tom

Moose was seen down town with a shopping bag the other day. The check out girl at Reney’s was shaken but said something about two pair if size twelve All Stars in red!

I think moose is getting nervous and is hedging his bets after seeing Grommet’s shark mouth!

Well done Professor!!!

Today was a red letter day!

We loaded a freshly fermented chunk of Stinking Bishop into the Transmogrifying reactor :

My Crack Science Ninja Team then bravely boarded the Red Comet, for its inaugural test flight. Gromit bravely released the Kraken Reactor Restraint mechanism, plunging the Stinking Bishop into the Limburger Flux Capacitor and once enough pressure built. Wallace pulled the big red lever firing the main rocket and the Red Comet took off quite literally like Stink! Leaving a quite noticeable aroma in its wake!

The Red Comet tore off down the Borracho main line at speeds the line was never designed for, completing a complete circuit of the entire line in mere seconds! Wallace said it was the most fun he’s had since his moon trip vacation, but Gromit nearly panicked as they tore down the track in fear that they were going to either fly off a corner or like their rival Prof. Fate, hit a rise and go airborne into the nearest Pigsty, but fortunately for all the residence of Hekawe County they were traveling so fast he simply couldn’t reach up to pull the Use-this-only-if-you-really-mean-it-kill-switch!

Here is the only photo I was able to snap before Wallace pulled the big red lever and disappeared down the track.

Fortunately the lone member of the Borracho Picayune who bothered to show up did manage to take a short film of the event:

http://youtu.be/iZppnXV04yo

Now this was only a test run, Wallace has a few tweeks he wants to make before he calls it finished, namely some wheel imbalance in the rear truck combined with the need for additional air pressure to be pumped into the Transmogrifyer, which according to Gromit was woefully inadequate leading to a quick and dangerous buildup of Limburgerized neutrinos, but Wallace has a solution for that.

2 weeks left! Back to the shop lads!

Wow Vic that is really something. I don’tSurprised know what, but it sure is something.

WinkThat thing just barely makes it through those portals…:wink:

WOW ! ! That’s what I was Looking for!

That is really sharp!!! Loved the video…particularly the wicked nose cone and the lit up engines burning that nefarious.gas. Lot’s of fun factor in this build.

Doc Tom