Large Scale Central

Mik 2018 - Outside the Box - Jon Radder

Dan Hilyer said:

Jon, I notice the far right sample is used motor oil. I like that color, not necessarily for what you are doing, but just in generaL. Did you just brush the oil on or did you soak them in the oil. If soaking, how long did you soak those samples and how long did it take for the wood to dry out once the oil had been applied? Sorry for all the questions.

Hi Dan - This was over two years ago and I didn’t take any notes, so I’m just guessing here. I believe they were soaked - possibly overnight, maybe less. They were still oily a few days later which helped make the decision not to use it. I think I still have all of this in a tub somewhere in the train room. If I can find them I’ll heck and see if they are still oily.

Korm & John - Thanks for the opinion. The India ink solution dries very fast too which would be good. The Linseed Oil & Stain mix takes a few days.

Thanks, Jon. That is what I figured. I remember my dad having me mop burn motor oil on the wood flooring of his farm trailers as a kid and I don’t think it ever completely dried.

I really like what you have built and how the framing extends into the tunnel. It really adds to the illusion of the real deal.

My vote is for the naturally weathered dull grey but I wonder if these portals were built with wood that was soaked in creosote?

Of course natural with built up soot from emerging steam trains would be nice too.

Thanks Todd. I think using the suggested soot method I can get good looking smoke weathering over top of a grey ink wash.

I finished all but a few details today. First I took some photos of the clearance issue. Just a little tight…

I wonder what would happen if I framed around the bottom…

Just enough!!!

So I added 10x10 all the way around the bottom…

Then corrected my error at the top corner - I thought I had an awesome fix and took progress pics, but in the end my cut was crooked so I needed to add a little trim piece to dress it up…

Except for some horizontal 2x8 trim on the side I think I am about done…

I’m stealing this design Jon… and not paying you any royalties for it. (Rooster said I didn’t have to)

This is a very classy portal

I got called in to work for a few hours today. Managed to get the last of the detail boards on this morning. I deiced to continue around the corner and cover the exposed wall framing. This piece will stay attached to the wall and act as a retainer to the main section. Sketch or photo when I get something to show.

Thanks for the comments & suggestions.

As great as this looks and knowing you still need to cover it I can’t help but be reminded of the discussion held over Devon’s build and the need for wet walls inside the tunnel, knowing your area and felling that realism would dictate the need for icicles also. Will these be included in this build ? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

David Marconi, FOGCH said:

As great as this looks and knowing you still need to cover it I can’t help but be reminded of the discussion held over Devon’s build and the need for wet walls inside the tunnel, knowing your area and felling that realism would dictate the need for icicles also. Will these be included in this build ? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I can offer some expertise on the subject.

Nice work Jon

Thanks guys. If it gets wet on it’s own, then OK; but I’m not adding it!

I’m finished with construction as of tonight. Still need to color and weather, but no more wood, pins or glue. The last work done on the removable structure was to add the bracing detail along the right retaining wall…

Attention was then turned to the exposed wall frame member and how to finish off the area. First I tacked on a couple of scraps from the build to continue the bench top to the paneling and covered it with the fake grass…

I then built a matching section to cover the wall framing; continuing the retaining wall around the corner to the start of wall paneling…

That last bit will be permanently attached to the wall framing. It serves as an alignment edge for the removable section that has a mating slot. Note to self: I need an overhead shot to show the interlocking parts.

So here is a long shot and final look under the paint…

Now it’s off to the lab to test numerous dilutions of India ink and alcohol to find the shade of grey that I want.

That turned out very well, Jon. It really makes “Box” a focal point on the layout. Great job.

Excellent

OK, now I need some advice. I have decided on a simple India Ink and Alcohol wash for stain. I did some tests last night at various dilutions and I think I have a winner. Pics will follow this evening.

Because the interior framing is a bit complex, I have decided to take it to work and spray the stain with my HVLP spray system. I need to buy some alcohol and thus the advice. Would 70% Alcohol be good, or should I go with 90% for quicker flash? This will be my only cash outlay for this project so I have plenty of budget.

That looks really nice. Good idea to cover that spot.

Chris

I use 90, never tried anything less. So can’t say. But I know 90 works well. flashes off very fast. And really burns in fresh xacto cuts.

Avoid extra water, use the 90.

We could dilute the ink in water, but we use alcohol because it doesn’t warp as much.

I really like that portal, it looks very strong like it could hold up the mountain.

Alcohol? I prefer Jack Daniels… whacka whacka …

Once it is aged will you be adding signs like “no trespassing” or perhaps name the tunnel or number it?

Todd Haskins said:

I’ll drink to that but have you tried Larceny ?

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Todd Haskins said:

I really like that portal, it looks very strong like it could hold up the mountain.

Once it is aged will you be adding signs like “no trespassing” or perhaps name the tunnel or number it?

Name the tunnel? Hi everyone, this is my tunnel, Jim. You must excuse Jim, he is a little bit of a stiff, and tends to get board.

My vote is for the 90%