Large Scale Central

Building a 1:20 Mikado

Very nice Bruce !!!

Bruce, just remember–you can keep adding detail after detail after detail, but sometimes you have to leave a tender moment alone. :wink:

Looks great!

Later,

K

Looking good Bruce.

Bruce, that’s some mighty fine looking work, thar… :slight_smile:

Thanks, guys. Though I’m not sure about those tender moments… :wink: I flattened some brass rod to make the side hooks.

Then I drilled and used my pins to attach them to the frame.

For some reason, I broke two drill bits…maybe I’m not going straight or something. Now the holes keep getting bigger as I change bits.

Mik said:
If you can still get Welder, buy me some, please. They quit carrying it around here. The E-6000 doesn't work quite as well and stinks worse....
If you have a Bi-Mart in your area I found Welder in their Coos Bay store. I cleaned them out the day I was there. I assume they have it in their other stores. Best all around adhesive for outdoors I've ever used, bar none.

Meanwhile you might be able to get it direct http://www.homaxproducts.com/products/Leadcheck/01/index.html

Or if this is in your area…
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/50-272-all-purpose-glue/welder-adhesive-661203.aspx

…winking…

David Russell said:
I keep tellin you guys...3M plastic and emblem adhesive.
Where do you get it?

Auto parts stores usually carry the 3M adhesive.
Ralph

It’s really hard to get work done on this when it’s so nice outside. Progress is a tad slow. I wanted a working tender water hatch. I started by laminating 3 pieces of .020" styrene around a couple of tubes I taped together - this gave me a curved base. Then, I cut the lid from some .040" styrene and attached it with some doll house hinges. Some small pins are used for “rivets”.

I made this to open as it will be covering the on/off and volume switches. The hinge will allow me to easily get to them.

I’m not a big fan of detail that you can’t typically see, but the brake cylinder on the tender cried out to be modeled as it can be seen from the side. Since I was going to model that, I decided I might as well add a few more visible pieces.

The rest of the underside will be bare as I hope to not see it in normal operations.

Tedious, tedious, tedious. :wink: But, I’ve almost got one of the tender sides done. This is a shot of the left hand side.

It’s still being worked on, and I’ll glue it in place when complete. I’m thinking of using the 3M spray adhesive to hold it in place. I’ll probably need to use a hair dryer on it so it will bend easier. It’s .020" styrene and I need to curve it around each end.

Wow! I don’t think that I could ever have the patience to do that.

BZ!

Ralph Berg said:
Auto parts stores usually carry the 3M adhesive. Ralph
Yes....

Ray,
I’m sorry I post this stuff and forget about it! Ralph is correct and a total bonus for me as my auto repair business seems to go through a lot of that adhesive for some reason? I get it “delivered” from my local Napa store…which is kinda sick in it’s own way…tee hee hee…

Bruce however is sick and disturbed!!! :lol: How do you comment on that?
Amazing work from both of you guys!!
:wink:

Sick and disturbed? I resemble that remark. :wink: I’ve completed the rivets for the tender. I glued the sides in place with a combination of Welder and some plastic cement.

Some of the rows are a bit off, but I think the overall effect is what I wanted. I need to put another layer of .020" styrene along the inside to strengthen the sides at the top. Then I need to build a ladder for the back and also work on the front of the tender - lots of details to add there. Handrails, of course, as well as the brackets that hold it to the frame. And a coal load.

Hi Bruce,
Wow, that’s some nice rivit work.

Chuck

Bruce , That is beatiful beyond description!!! I cant wait to see the loco! Keep up the good work!!! Dave

Thats looking great Bruce.

Bruce - I think you can now be officially classified as a rivet counter. Sick and Disturbed indeed! That and Retired :smiley: :smiley:

Jon Radder said:
Bruce - I think you can now be officially classified as a rivet counter. Sick and Disturbed indeed! That and Retired :D :D
Well, I really don't have any idea of how many are on there. I didn't even want to count. All I did was follow the lines. ;)

Thanks, guys.

Nice neat work.