Large Scale Central

Building a 1:20 Mikado

Bruce I have parts of an old-style Aristo pacific, including the drivers. They are the same size but cast from different metal, and they use a different gearbox/mounting system. Would they work?

Mike,
Thanks. I should have one coming shortly. You need to save it for your next project. :smiley:

My next project–I’m out of space! Our outdoor storage shed is full, and our small house is getting crowded. I did a little work on the freight motor the other day, and kept thinking “where am I going to put this?”

mike omalley said:
My next project--I'm out of space! Our outdoor storage shed is full, and our small house is getting crowded. I did a little work on the freight motor the other day, and kept thinking "where am I going to put this?"
Now you know why I'm downsizing ;)
mike omalley said:
My next project--I'm out of space! Our outdoor storage shed is full, and our small house is getting crowded. I did a little work on the freight motor the other day, and kept thinking "where am I going to put this?"
Mike, I can rent ya some space for the frieght motor when it's done..........at reasonable rates..........;)

Argh! I thought I’d start by modifying a Connie tender. It’s a little too wide and not long enough, but I figured I could splice some parts together. I happily started cutting up the floor and added some braces to make it longer. I was cutting some styrene to fill the gaps and noticed that one end was about a scale inch narrower than the other. This would not be square, and I’m sure that would cause problems later. Not only that, but it was riding about 2" too high. Double Argh. Well, it was time to just build the dang thing from scratch. I cut some acrylic for the base and added some 1/2" square pieces to frame it out. I built up bolsters from more acrylic and some styrene, and then added wood at each end. I could have saved a lot of time by not trying to save some time. :wink: Here it is on one side, looking at the bottom.

I’m going to be using the Connie tender trucks - they’re pretty close and they’re available.

Brice how do you attach the wood to the acrylic?

Mike, I use Welder contact cement. It’s available (or was) over at Wal-Mart. Richard Smith highly recommended it, and I’ve been using it a lot lately.

Today I decided to add some rivets to the side frames. I just used some small pins I had.

I also installed the coupler and finished up the back end.

Next, I’m going to build the steps at each end using some brass strips.

This morning I put the boards on the base. Again, I used Welder contact cement to attach the basswood to the acrylic.

I’ll be building a frame for the sides next.

If you can still get Welder, buy me some, please. They quit carrying it around here. The E-6000 doesn’t work quite as well and stinks worse…

I was just over there today, and not a pack was in sight. It’s too bad, I really like how it holds.

I keep tellin you guys…3M plastic and emblem adhesive. I swear buy the stuff and was surprised to recently learn Marty Cozad loves it as well (newest GR container train build).

The guy at Lowe’s claims maybe they’ll be getting some in ‘next week’…

Meanwhile - http://homaxproducts.com/products/Leadcheck/index.html

I made some steps from brass strips and bolted them in place.

I started the interior form for the tender. I’ll be adding some inner wall pieces before I clad it with some .020 styrene that will be embossed with “rivets”.

Hi Bruce,
Tender is looking good. I like the rivet work you did on it. Keep the photos comming.

Chuck

Bruce,
You need to come out of retirement…Your out of control!
:lol:

I am loving this thread. Bruce, keep it coming!

Today I added the inner sides and the top piece. And some bracing inside - it’s now pretty sturdy. Before I added the top, I drilled holes for the two switches - one for power, one for sound. I took the valves and toolboxes from the Connie tender - they’re not glued in place just yet, I’ll wait for the outer sides before doing that. For that matter, the white styrene structure is not glued to the frame yet.

I’m starting to think that this is actually almost looking like a tender. :wink:

Starting to look like a fine tender :slight_smile:
Ralph