Large Scale Central

Base for Buildings

https://www.acmeplastics.com/expanded-pvc-foam

Warner Swarner said:

Richard, Could you describe what “foam PVC“board is? Is that dense urethane insulation. Not styrofoam I presume. Not exactly sure which material you chose. Not, acrylic from Tap plastic?

Matt, Maybe I came into this thread too late. What was Bruce’s suggestion?. Looking back I don’t see it Now and My App won’t scroll back that far.

warner

The PVC Foam Board I’m using is from Tap Plastics. I’m not sure of the chemical components but it is rigid plastic board that can be scored or scribed to create whatever look you want. I’ve read many posts from Ray Dunakin and his use of Sintra which, I believe is the same thing but just a different name. My first order for base plates was 1/4" thick. However I had forgotten that the Piko bases are 3/8" thick and I have an area or two where those will meet my bases…so have ordered the thicker PVC board. I plan to use the 1/4" boards for future building projects. I’ve played with creating the look of a wood sidewalk and it is pretty easy to do. I’m now researching how to paint it so it looks like wood.

Bruce, earlier in the discussion said this was what he used and had posted pictures of his buildings…looks great!!

Richard

Thanks, you guys. I am familiar with Sintra. is this the same product a San Diego company (Rainbow Ridge?) uses to make brick sheet? One of our club (Bill Derville) has used this to build a huge detailed brick roundhouse. I have used an earlier similar softer product to carve stone walls. It works great though does need UV protection. Good painting seems to work well. Working on a new winery for my layout. Great discussion. Warner