Large Scale Central

Base for Buildings

You can score the backerboard with a sharp knife and then snap it over a board, saw horse or even a pipe, but it will leave a rough edge. When I need to make precise cuts I use a diamond tile saw or a diamond blade in my angle grinder. But if you use a dry blade it will make a lot of dust, so please use a dust mask for your health and keep others away while cutting.

Thank you. That’s very helpful. I have a course tile diamond file that would be good for a little smooting. I had been told a knife, but wasn’t sure what kind of knife. Seems like a utility blade wouldn’t score it well, but I haven’t tried. Is there some kind of heavy duty knife blade?

I just use my utility knife to cut it but just make sure you have a metal ruler to keep your lines straight. If you don’t like the line it breaks on use some sandpaper made for sanding fiberglass or metal and sand it lightly until you are happy with the edge. I have even used my palm sander but take it easy sanding! It’s easy to sand too much! Just remember you can always make a smaller base!

A utility knife will do, however they do sell a knife at HomeDepot made specifically for the backerboard. On my Jobsites the drywallers (they are the ones that install the backerboard for the tile setters) use the specific knife and then snap the board over a sawhorse. The knife is about 1/16 in wide with a hook at the end. It is also dull. I have never tried it myself, because a utility knife always worked for me. Just score it a couple of times to make sure you cut through the outside reinforcing.

Ok guys!! Thanks for all of your advice…I’ve ordered 12 pieces of 12x18x.25" sheets of white foamed PVC sheets from Tap Plastics. This gives me a few extra sheets for future additions.

A couple more questions…do you glue the structures on to these bases creating 1 big piece to set out on the railroad? I’m thinking of carving wooden sidewalks into the pvc sheets. For the structures to sit on I’m thinking of burying cinder block in the ground for these bases to sit on…plan to drill holes for buried landscape lighting wiring into the blocks and route it up to the building…am I thinking correctly on this??

I’ll try to post a picture soon of the little town we are laying out.

Richard

Since the weather is getting more active, I suggest you use anchors to secure the bases, yet be able to easily pull them up as needed. At the Home Despot you can get 7" gutter nails. They are easy to drive into the dirt and make reliable anchors.

The weather never really gets to active here in the Central Valley of California…I wish it did at times just for the fun of it

Richard

No you don’t.

Oh yea, having streets wash away is “fun”. Having trees down across roads is “fun”. Having no electrons flowing to your house for days is “fun”, as is replacing all the spoiled food that was in the freezer. The fun part was not having phone service for a few days. It really cut down the number of sales calls. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Whoops…I think I hit a nerve with my weather comment. No, what some of you guys have to endure is not my idea of “fun”. You can have that weather. My thinking was like some occasional rain?! Perhaps a breeze?! Something in mid 60s - 70s…and more than just one day. No, not hurricane type conditions…that would be no bueno. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Richard

I put money down on some Beachfront property in Arizona, but got suspicious when he said he’d thrown the Golden Gate in free. Everybody knows that’s in Brooklyn. Ha.ha. With the global warming trend nobody knows what’s coming. outdoor Railroading is great most months here in Oregon. We call a “heat wave” two days above 90. But this year we have had practically no rain for over three months. And we have broken the record for days over 90. Not as hot as Phoenix but they have had more rain. Our blue skies aren’t blue this summer however due to Canadian wild fires. There’s no perfect place. But it’s been great year here for grapes and wine. As they say, pick your poison.

Warner

Warner, I have family in Portland and in Olympia and the days I were there back in July it was hot! Anyway, you’re correct to be suspicious of throwing in the Golden Gate for free. It costs $8 to cross and, if you don’t pay, the bridge authority will track you down! LOL …

Gregory, Eight bucks a trip across Golden Gate, ouch. Beats swimming I guess, to get past Alcatraz.

As far as building bases in Portland at least, we don’t have much rain problem in summer, but using backer board or some weather resistant board is important to look well set and protect from all sorts of damage. From what rain we deal with, dirt splatter is an unsightly form of weathering. I like to use large flat natural rock or slate from rock landscaping or quarries for bases where the building foundation allows for a sturdy set out. The flat stones become a permanent part of the Garden railroad and make winter scenes, without structures look more natural, though less inhabited. I could post some pictures, but don’t know if this site does that Or how.

Warner

Hard vinyl floor tiles come to mind as a base for some buildings if they fit…

Here in the UK we have a temperate climate…Still people complain!..Its either too hot (occasionally like this year so some plants have really given up…)…too wet (often)…and of course an inch or two of snow in the winter and airports close down…autumn leaves on the railway lines usually are to blame for cancelled or late trains (it supposedly makes the wheels lose traction)…and one year we even had the excuse of the wrong type of snow from one utility. You could not make a comedy script up better than some of these outfits excuses…

Still…we bumble along (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Yes, vinyl floor tiles are handy. I have used large ceramic and stone (even marble) shower tiles (up to 18” square). They are handy both outdoor and useful as indoor small building bases, but they are fragile if not evenly supported, and will break if stepped on. Broken or left over pieces of shower tile make useful track support and shims where roadbed grade has shifted. Warner

Excited today that 12 pieces of foam PVC board from TAP Plastics has arrived. The town of Little Paddocks will be setup in the next week or so as finishing touches are put on the buildings. Laying out LED lights to light everything up…should be fun.

Richard

Bruce, what you have is exactly what I’ve been trying to figure out how to do. I tried it with mortar mix, and I just didn’t like how it turned out. So, I’ve pulled my town up and have been trying to figure out how to do it. I just stumbled across this post and I’m so glad you posted!

Matt Russell said:

Bruce, what you have is exactly what I’ve been trying to figure out how to do. I tried it with mortar mix, and I just didn’t like how it turned out. So, I’ve pulled my town up and have been trying to figure out how to do it. I just stumbled across this post and I’m so glad you posted!

Matt,

Glad I could help. Make sure you paint it with a good exterior paint Or the UV will do it in.

I have had good luck with the Behr samples from Home Depot. For about $4 you get 8 oz of the exact color you want. Avoid the samples at Lowes; they are interior only.

Richard, Could you describe what “foam PVC“board is? Is that dense urethane insulation. Not styrofoam I presume. Not exactly sure which material you chose. Not, acrylic from Tap plastic?

Matt, Maybe I came into this thread too late. What was Bruce’s suggestion?. Looking back I don’t see it Now and My App won’t scroll back that far.

warner