Large Scale Central

2018 Miks Vic Smith Hole in the Head Mine

Rained today so nothing to report, planning on adding a scrap 2x4 as a building facade to the back and add a section of 2x2 as an outhouse to the Barrel of Fun layout, not really part of the challenge but I’m taking a more holistic approach including a lot of things I want to do with the whole layout.

I think I have to add a sealant on the buildings. Been a few days and the stain is still transferring to my fingers when I handle them. It hasn’t been hot or dry enough to completely dry the stain.

Great concept Vic.

Where are you, Vic? It isn’t still raining, is it?

I’m still here, I haven’t posted anything because I haven’t really done anything. I’ve added nails and wire and handrails and I had to reinforce the bottom a little. The stain stopped smearing on my hands but I have a can of polyurethane finish to add to it.

I have been adding things to the Barrel of Fun thought, more plants, and two small additions. A small building facade

and this, well, because I could.

So as it stands all major work is done, its just a question of what can I add to it between now and the end. I knew this was going to be a very quick build, I really couldn’t commit more time to doing anything very complicated.

Hole in the Head mine today:

I do have a confession to make, if my plants look a little odd its because they are artificial succulents. I got them really cheap online, I haven’t had the opportunity to go nursery hoping to find the specific plants I want so for photography sake I stuck these in for now, they will get replaced over time.

I always enjoy seeing what you can do with two feet of track

Thanks but I have a problem with this circle, the quarter track section ends dont really match up so to outer rails have gaps in them. Typical high quality Aristo product, already derailed one train. Now I have to see if I can make and insert little 1/8" to 1/4" cut rail sections into the rail clamps or cut off a little each from the inner rails so I get a continuous smooth track.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Vic Smith said:

…Typical high quality Aristo product, already derailed one train…

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Boy do I sympathize with you my friend. I’m still fighting with their gd f switches.

Good luck on the curve, I always slid the rail to a tangent and then used the 4 screw per jaw splits when adding a filler. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I have no idea I am spit balling but can you solder something in between the gaps?

I’m using railclamps so I can insert a rail piece as a gap filler. But I’m thinking grinding down the inner rail might actually be the simpler solution.

Vic Smith said:

I’m using railclamps so I can insert a rail piece as a gap filler. But I’m thinking grinding down the inner rail might actually be the simpler solution.

And a more precise solution. The rail clamp extension will insert flat spots in the arc. While they will be small you will know they are there and it will bug you forever (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)Trimming the long rails should give you a nice continuous curve on both rails.

Wait a minute Vic…when I bend rail for myself, the outside rail is always shorter. What I do is slide ALL the rail to fit against each other, like in your circle, and then you have only one gap, presumably a lot bigger, to fill with a piece? Does that make sense? I don’t know if I’m reading your problem right, but I am, one gap would be easier to fill than several?

Maybe John. This track never joined with great accuracy. Usually there would be straight sections creating an oval so you could fudge the joints, with just a circle the shortcomings become more apparent.

i ignore, what length of gaps you are writing about, but on my layout one to two mm gaps are standard. against very hot days and for a nice clickety clack.

Korm, it has to do with Aristos quality control. The trouble is that on 31" dia., a large gap on the outside rail can and does derail a train.

I installed a piece of Plastruct ABS that matches the 332 rail height into the offending gap and secured it with some epoxy and sanded it to match the rail. I think it will do the job.

Mik’s Build Challenge 2018 Hole in the Head Mine, final photos.

From empty barrel to Barrel of Fun in 2 months, the Hole in the Head fits nicely on the layout.

Final Pictures, Napkin drawing :

Final Photo:

Thanks guys, Didn’t do anything elaborate this year but I can’t help but smile a wide grin whenever I look at this photo (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

there is some simplistic beauty about this. You are known for your over the top cramming of stuff into a little tiny place. But this is my idea of a cute little patio build. something tosit with a cold one and look at mindlessly as the day melts away. Good job.

From napkin to reality I like what you built. It is rustic and fits the theme of the pizza barrel RR perfectly. The way it sits on the rock might just qualify it as a “cliff hanger”.

Is there one more structure in the works? I see the train picking up ore from the tipple and making its way to the other side of the barrel to drop the ore off and then circle back again for more ore.