Large Scale Central

2018 Miks Vic Smith Hole in the Head Mine

Devon Sinsley said:

lol, I think you can do a right bang up job making scale lumber with those. Hardly any waste either.

Dave Taylor said:

OK someone correct me if I’m wrong here… isn’t a "Hole in the Head " technically called an “Outhouse”

Dave

Ask Devon. He has a hole in his head. But I really don’t think he would like being called an outhouse.

David Maynard said:

Dave Taylor said:

OK someone correct me if I’m wrong here… isn’t a "Hole in the Head " technically called an “Outhouse”

Dave

Ask Devon. He has a hole in his head. But I really don’t think he would like being called an outhouse.

My wife did say that I am full of shit and that they needed to drain it

Dave Taylor said:

Dave

Yes, but I did that two years ago

Dave Taylor said:

Dave

Oh boy!

Okie doakie! In nautical terms, you’d have to step inside to see; the hole, in the head.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

What fun!

Posting pics tomorrow, today I coated all three buildings with stain to give them a unified appearance. Began trying to add a little more details adding ore chutes that are actually the leftover chunks from cutting the roof shape. Looking to add door/window shapes, handrail and glueing asphalt shingle roofing onto it.

Pics finally, material cut and primary assembly, you can see the high quality of my available work area:

Placed onto the Barrel of Fun layout:

I had to trim the legs to fit around the rock base;

Not yet photographed…Yesterday I added two leftover pieces of the 2x4 cuttings as ore chutes and stained all the buildings on the pizza to give them a more uniform appearance, still need to add details and asphalt roof shingle piece like the other building on the layout, also adding succulents as I go, but nothing very overpowering.

Your work area looks just like mine!

That is far t intricate of a design for me.

Just to be clear, anything else I do to the Barrel of Fun layout DOESN’T count as part of the challenge or its restraints ($). That means plants or details or whole buildings or entire trains that may or may not pop up on the layout in subsequent photos have nothing to do with the challenge unless they are physically attached to the Hole In The Head Mine. I may decide to add other things to the layout as the mode strike while I’m working on the challenge, just want to clarify that ahead of time. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Vic Smith said:

Just to be clear, anything else I do to the Barrel of Fun layout DOESN’T count as part of the challenge or its restraints ($). That means plants or details or whole buildings or entire trains that may or may not pop up on the layout in subsequent photos have nothing to do with the challenge unless they are physically attached to the Hole In The Head Mine. I may decide to add other things to the layout as the mode strike while I’m working on the challenge, just want to clarify that ahead of time. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Vic, you think you need clarification, wait’ll you see what I’m working on. Geez.

Just paint all the non contest stuff red, we’ll understand! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I kinda am in the same boat. My build is only the winch house and the head frame. But a whole bunch of other stuff may or may not happen.

As Devon says, may or may not happen. Given my home circumstances and that I don’t always have the spare time to work on the challenge without triggering SWMBO reminding me of all the other stuff I should be doing around the yard, I kept the challenge this year VERY straightforward and I should finish well ahead of time. But that said, I have ideas, Oooh do I have ideas, not just for the Barrel of Fun but for other things as well. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Vic, I love the way you take a minimalistic approach and always come up with very realistic looking structures. Nice work.

Thanks Dan added one of the roof shingles before I ran out of light tonight. Will try to add the other later tonight under the patio lights.

I have to do this build completely outside. Its supposed to rain this Friday, which is my next available big push day…of course. So I have to make progress whenever I can slip work in.

Hopefully that storm won’t get here on Friday! At least up here on the desert it may not get here at all!

Couple of to date pictures showing roofing and staining, the colors look better in daylight.

Very cool Vic. You are my inspiration. If you can build a great little railroad in a planter I sure as hell can build a great little railroad in a small basement room. That is going to come out very nice.