Large Scale Central

Class A Climax

Looks like my other two projects will be put on hold until I finish this one. This was one I could not pass up. Below is the story behind this project.

A few weeks back someone had a scratch built Climax for sale on FB swap page for $40. Of course I was too late in responding to it. But thanks to one of the swap member’s, who was also interested in the Climax, got me thinking where I saw a similar Climax like that one. After researching it, I found that it was sold as a kit by Northeast Narrow Gauge. Now that they no longer exist, I dug a little deeper and found plans for the exact Climax. It was part of the pullout plans that Garden Railways provided in the magazine. Since the plans are now digital, I was able to print it up. Also at about the same time I remembered a friend of mine had given me a partial kit to build a Climax. Not knowing anything about, it I decided to dig it out. After going through the bag and the directions, I noticed it was a partial Northeast Narrow Gauge Climax kit. That was a big surprise for me. It had the boiler assembly and water tank. The rest had to be built from the plans. The plans are fairly simple and most of it uses wood and common detailed parts you can get anywhere. After chatting with one of the swap member about my discovery he had asked if I would be willing to build him one. I think he was half joking. After going back and fourth in messenger I learned he had just got into G scale and did not know how to build anything yet. We ended up making a deal that I could not turn down.

Before I got started I had to figure out how to power the Climax. The drive that was meant to be used, was NWLS magic carpet drive. I was unable to find them for 45mm track. Seemed they only make them in O gauge (at one time they did make them in G). Even if they did make them the price was too high. The next appropriate drive would have been the Aristo center cab trucks and we all know that story. So after researching a proper motor block I found that Hartlands Birney trucks were almost the exact match to the Aristo and the proper size i needed to work on the Climax. According to Phil the Ozark Miniature side frames would fit the Hartland motor block perfect.

Now that I had a motor block that would work I was able to get started. The first step was cutting all the necessary wood for two decks and the cab. Since I had the materials for the boiler and water tank for one Climax I only had to cut up the boiler and tank for the second Climax. That saved some cutting. Once the wood was cut I started on the two flat cars and the cabs. What I really liked about the plans was the use of all wood even for the boiler and domes. Normally I would do the decking and cab with wood planks but I decided not to and to go with what the plans used.

These are the parts I had on hand from the actually NENG kit.

No automatic alt text available.

Plans from Garden Railways

completed decks and the cab sides being fitted.

The plans called for scribed wood but its cheaper buying the large sheets of 1/8th thick plywood. I decided to scribe my own lines with a saw blade. Not too bad.

The motor blocks came in today. Ill get them wired up and put onto the decking. Mine will be wired for battery.

Coooool!

Looks like another great build, Looking forward to seeing more.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

So you’re completely finished with your Challenge entry? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

First, I echo Vic’s question above. Is it (challenge project) finished yet?

Second, I will be following this one close. That will be a fine looking engine when you’re done.

Where do the quarry stones go on a climax?

Color me confused.

Vic Smith said:

So you’re completely finished with your Challenge entry? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

SHHHHHHHHH not even close lol… I hope to get it done in time still. I work better under pressure.

By the way the Hartland motor blocks are nice.

John Caughey said:

Where do the quarry stones go on a climax?

Color me confused.

They will line the firebox…It is the backwoods after all(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Shawn Viggiano said:

Looks like my other two projects will be put on hold until I finish this one. This was one I could not pass up. Below is the story behind this project.

A few weeks back someone had a scratch built Climax for sale on FB swap page for $40. Of course I was too late in responding to it. But thanks to one of the swap member’s, who was also interested in the Climax, got me thinking where I saw a similar Climax like that one. After researching it, I found that it was sold as a kit by Northeast Narrow Gauge. Now that they no longer exist, I dug a little deeper and found plans for the exact Climax. It was part of the pullout plans that Garden Railways provided in the magazine. Since the plans are now digital, I was able to print it up. Also at about the same time I remembered a friend of mine had given me a partial kit to build a Climax. Not knowing anything about, it I decided to dig it out. After going through the bag and the directions, I noticed it was a partial Northeast Narrow Gauge Climax kit. That was a big surprise for me. It had the boiler assembly and water tank. The rest had to be built from the plans. The plans are fairly simple and most of it uses wood and common detailed parts you can get anywhere. After chatting with one of the swap member about my discovery he had asked if I would be willing to build him one. I think he was half joking. After going back and fourth in messenger I learned he had just got into G scale and did not know how to build anything yet. We ended up making a deal that I could not turn down.

Before I got started I had to figure out how to power the Climax. The drive that was meant to be used, was NWLS magic carpet drive. I was unable to find them for 45mm track. Seemed they only make them in O gauge (at one time they did make them in G). Even if they did make them the price was too high. The next appropriate drive would have been the Aristo center cab trucks and we all know that story. So after researching a proper motor block I found that Hartlands Birney trucks were almost the exact match to the Aristo and the proper size i needed to work on the Climax. According to Phil the Ozark Miniature side frames would fit the Hartland motor block perfect.

Now that I had a motor block that would work I was able to get started. The first step was cutting all the necessary wood for two decks and the cab. Since I had the materials for the boiler and water tank for one Climax I only had to cut up the boiler and tank for the second Climax. That saved some cutting. Once the wood was cut I started on the two flat cars and the cabs. What I really liked about the plans was the use of all wood even for the boiler and domes. Normally I would do the decking and cab with wood planks but I decided not to and to go with what the plans used.

You could have just left a memo on the fridge whiteboard.

" Rooster " said:

Shawn Viggiano said:

Rooster I did leave you the memo on the fridge. Must have fallen off. Check underneath.

Shawn Viggiano said:

" Rooster " said:

Shawn Viggiano said:

Rooster I did leave you the memo on the fridge. Must have fallen off. Check underneath. Make sure you clean underneath while you are there.

Can’t wait to see this when finished! I was first in line on the swap page climax, but the owners wife sold it to a coworker later in the day not realizing it was already sold, so it slipped through my fingers lol. but I do have these plans, so plan to later build one to go with the t boiler class a I built a few years back.

Aaron Loyet said:

Can’t wait to see this when finished! I was first in line on the swap page climax, but the owners wife sold it to a coworker later in the day not realizing it was already sold, so it slipped through my fingers lol. but I do have these plans, so plan to later build one to go with the t boiler class a I built a few years back.

Its a fun build and can be modified a few ways. The Hartland Birney trucks are the way to go. I have the side frames printed as trucks so I can can mount the trucks to the flatcar and then the motor blocks will fit into the trucks with two screws.

Bravo for your work, I love articulated machines.

I also built a class A climax three years ago, completely in scratch except the engine and the wheels.

I encourage you to read the post if the plumbing interests you. http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/25310/engines-d-r-l-

co?page=2

I join you some photos by hoping what can serve you

You know, Jean-Gilles, we need to get you in the challenge next year. The post office still delivers to France you know.

Great engine Jean-Gilles. Thanks for sharing those photos.

Ok Shawn, the bar has been set.

Thanks Dan: No, not I do not want to put him a high bar, but simply to help it in its realization

Thank John for the suggestion, but I have well never understood the principle of your challenges

Jean that Climax looks great. I wish I had the skill to make the drivetrain like the real thing. I built a Climax a few years ago much more detailed, with the static motor inside and the piping etc… This one is going to be closed in for the most part and most of the inside wont be visible anyway. I can get away without all the inside piping etc… Here is the battery powered one I built a few years ago. It uses the Aristo Centercab motor blocks

(http://oi67.tinypic.com/n1xo1x.jpg)

Don’t you think you have had enough Climax’es in your household already?

Or perhaps you are trying to make up…“Rooster goes shallow and watches”

Fear the “RED PEN” Shawn

(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)