Large Scale Central

Class A Climax

Shut up Rooster!

Cool pole-road loco! You know, with the great battery and r/c tech we have now, it would be pretty easy to make a complete pole road layout.

Made more progress to the Class A Climax. Cab is put together and boilers are assembled and painted. More details will be added and weathering. The boiler on the left is from the Northeast Narrow gauge kit I had. Everything else is from scratch and using parts that I had to keep the cost down and keeping to the backwoods tradition. I have climax trucks being printed by Nico Corbo 4 Track Engineering. The motor blocks will fit right into the climax trucks.

Image may contain: table, camera and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, camera, table and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people and table

No automatic alt text available.

Coming along nicely Shawn, Looks like you are starting your own business.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Hey looking good there Shawn. I take it that your last picture of the power truck has the printed side frame on it? Its all nice looking.

Chuck Inlow said:

Hey looking good there Shawn. I take it that your last picture of the power truck has the printed side frame on it? Its all nice looking.

Thanks Chuck. Yes thats one of the printed side frames Nico did for me. The Hartland Birney motor block has two screw holes on the side that will mount the motor block to the side frames.

I picked up the side frames from Nico (4 Track Engineering https://squareup.com/store/4-track-engineering ) They came out great and fit perfect to the motor blocks. The trucks attached to the flatcar using a self-locking retaining rings. Unlike my Climax I built a few years ago using Aristo center cab blocks with the Ozark side frames where they kept the Climax a tad too high off the ground. These blocks with the trucks keeps the Climax lower to the ground.

The boilers were fitted and the cabs were placed on the bed. Still need to add the details and waiting for some DPDT switches so I can wire them for track power and battery.

One thing I wold do different is rather then use wood dowel for the boiler I would go with a PVC pipe. The wood is nice but very difficult to get a smooth finish. For a backwoods feel it does add character. Overall Im happy with the plans. I also did find that the boiler that came from Northeast Narrow Gauge kit was a tad smaller then the actually Garden Railway plans. I also have two figures being made for each climax by Little Plastic People. https://www.etsy.com/shop/LittlePlasticPeople?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Trucks being delivered

Image may contain: tree, outdoor and nature

Unloading at the yard

Image may contain: house, tree and outdoor

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: tree and outdoor

NICE!!

However can you define “picked up” from Nico? Does that mean you purchased and paid for them or Nico still hasn’t realized they were missing yet?

This post has been edited by : Rooster

Nico did a great job on the side frames. Look forward to seeing these completed.

" Rooster " said:

NICE!!

However can you define “picked up” from Nico? Does that mean you purchased and paid for them or Nico still hasn’t realized they were missing yet?

Thanks guys.

Thats top secret Rooster…

Well “Rooster”… Ya see that big hook hanging in the air… I think Shawn went “Truck”…I mean trout fishin… (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Shawn Viggiano said:

" Rooster " said:

NICE!!

Thanks guys.

I got most of the climaxes finished. Just need to junk them up with details etc… I wired both to run on track power or battery. I just have to RC mine using either the Blutom or an rc receiver I have laying around…

Image may contain: tree, train, house, plant and outdoor

Ya dun good, kid!..(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Shawn - I was really looking forward to seeing how this turns out and then you post the pic above!!! Whoo and Hooo! Great job, Sir. I’m also intrigued by your mention of getting printed trucks - can you tell us some more about these, please?

tac

POCRR & OVGRS

Need some closeup pics … hard to tell where the pull string is! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Shawn Viggiano said:

A regular Climax fleet beginning here!

And in this week’s episode of Top Secret Rooster our curious character goes undercover to see what he can discover of the origins of the mysterious Birney trucks. Can he reel in the truth behind their mysterious appearance or will this one get away?

tac Foley said:

Shawn - I was really looking forward to seeing how this turns out and then you post the pic above!!! Whoo and Hooo! Great job, Sir. I’m also intrigued by your mention of getting printed trucks - can you tell us some more about these, please?

tac

POCRR & OVGRS

Thanks tac. I had a set of climax side frames that Nico was able to enlarge to fit onto the Birney trucks. He did a CAD drawing of the design and then used a 3D printer to make them. He was able to make them as one piece that way they can slip overtop the Birney motor blocks. Then th truck is then secured to the flatcar using a locking ring to keep it attached. It really worked out nice and made it easier securing everything to it. Maybe Nico can chime in and give you better details on how its done.

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Shawn Viggiano said:

A regular Climax fleet beginning here!

And in this week’s episode of Top Secret Rooster our curious character goes undercover to see what he can discover of the origins of the mysterious Birney trucks. Can he reel in the truth behind their mysterious appearance or will this one get away?

Haha we have to take it slow for Rooster. Hes still having trouble with the pull string stuff.

tac Foley said:

tac

POCRR & OVGRS

Tac,

Only the side frames are printed the truck itself was from HLW. Let me know what questions you have and I will be happy to answer them.

Nico Corbo

4Track Engineering

Those are so cool Shawn. You could start a business.

Did you use india ink to darken the wood cabs?