Large Scale Central

Fall Operations on the J&B

Operations on the J&B is always on the tiny side, but always enjoyable. I invited Ken down to run two trains on the J&B today.

While Ken drives down, I start setting up the railroad, always waiting until after school has opened. A lot of the kids pass by my layout, and I’d rather not be responsible for them being late to school. :wink:

Jean’s surgeries have cut back on operating sessions this year and I have not had many cars out on the layout. I did appreciate the “natural” weathering on one of my hoppers, though. Some sort of strange growth, but rather interesting all the same.

Anyway, Ken showed up in time to help finishing the set out of the cars and it was much apprciated.

Here’s Green Spring Yards in the foreground, with the Lexington staging area train behind Ken as Ken starts locomotive #4 on the road to initiate Train #1 out of Green Springs.

One of the first things we did was to retrieve a boxcar from Oates Furniture in town.

Our next stop is Occoquan, where we have just a bit of work to do: pick up a car from the interchange, Smith Pond Mill and the team track. Here we break the train in order to get some work done.

As we progress towards Jackson, we encounter an odd situation. Typically, the switching here is often viewed as “diabolical”. Today, it’s about as opposite as could be. Even though the industries are crowded, all we are required to do is switch the bucket coaling station. One pick up and one set out. How simple is that?

We soon finish Train #1 and pull into Lexington. Lexington is actually a staging area and holds the already built Train #2. We pull out of Lexington and our first stop is Jackson. Switching is still well below the diabolical stage. We set out 5 cars and pick up 5 cars, but not all that difficult.

Our first move sees us dropping reefer #55 at Salmons Produce, while we pick up reefer #513.

While we trade cars, we also reorder the train a bit, putting the rest of the drop offs together.

Next, we pull out the cars to pick up. Conveniently, they all come from Matheson Textiles which also happens to be the set out location for 3 boxcars.

Then we head back to the passing siding and get the 3 cars destined for the same spot.

Next stop is Occoquan, where we are swapping out 2 cars. After that, we terminate the train in Green Springs.

Finally, we put everything away and head out to lunch. What an enjoyable day and many thanks to Ken for the long drive down to my place.

Marvelous, just marvelous.

Nice session…

Looks like you had a lot of fun. I need to get out and runs some trains soon. This weekend is looking like it might work.

Holy crap, ya got pix posted already, probably even before I got home. Didn’t realize either that you took that many.

One thing I noticed this time since I was the engineer, and didn’t have the manifest in front of, I wasn’t thinking out moves before we got there, since obviously I didn’t know what went where. For me, that was something completely different.

Had a fine time Bruce, (and the lunch and the conversation) well worth the drive …:wink:

Looks like you guys had a great day! Bruce has a terrific looking railroad. Did you have any derailments?

Joe Zullo said:

Looks like you guys had a great day! Bruce has a terrific looking railroad. Did you have any derailments?

No comment…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:

Joe Zullo said:

No comment…:wink:

Ken is too kind. We certainly had more than I would like, that’s for sure. I found a number of areas that need work. When I just run around my loop I have zero problems, but switching always shows me places that require some effort; I just haven’t had much time this year to work on it.

You must be mistaken Bruce.

Ken’s not kind!

David Russell said:

You must be mistaken Bruce.

Ken’s not kind!

Only with certain “un-named” individuals…:wink:

Ken really gets around. One minute hes on the west coast then at y place and now Bruce’s. Layout looks good Bruce.

The old crab had breakfast with Hollywood and myself the day before he was at your place Shawn .

He was late for breakfast too!

Bruce, how did you get the faux wood finish on the walkways on the boxcars? No doubt you have a thread here about that, but I couldn’t find it. That’s nicely done.

Not sure, but I don’t thing it’s faux. Likely wood with some India ink wash.

Looks like a good time was had. Nice pics of the OP session Bruce.

Jon Radder said:

Not sure, but I don’t thing it’s faux. Likely wood with some India ink wash.

Don’t think all the cars are wood, Jon… could be wrong, though.

Didn’t say the cars were. The one in my photo is all plastic except the walks.

See this post: http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/6865/search/view/post_id/38139

This is built from Evergreen styrene siding and strips. Wood roof walk. Some brass rod for grab irons, and a few castings.

Correct, Jon. Though I do have some AMS boxcars that I painted the roofwalk to look like weathered wood. The rest have wooden walks with the India Ink stuff.

Looks like a great day and Ops Session. Also gives the impression that things are going well. Thanks for posting. Looks like it would have been a good time.

Ric Golding said:

Looks like a great day and Ops Session. Also gives the impression that things are going well. Thanks for posting. Looks like it would have been a good time.

Things are going well. Jean is back to driving herself and started her first physical therapy session today. Hope to see you at Andy’s in a few weeks!

You need to come by here and operate some time as well. There is a camp ground VERY near by.