Large Scale Central

WP&Y GE90

" Rooster " said:

Rick Marty said:

As for the model locomotives, I wouldn’t want one but I know a lot of folks are interested in them, I think the price could create a breathing issue.

Don’t even wanna think how far in debt I would be if a manufacturer made exactly what I wanted. However I’m probably further in debt by researching, purchasing trial and error supplies/materials and wasting time figuring it out but I’m having fun!

This post has been edited by Rooster: Upset and pissed off at myself for not using a comma after However, perhaps it should have been a semi colon!

Technically speaking, you had two choices. You could have created a compound sentence by using a “…wanted; however, I’m…” construction or by using “…wanted. However, I’m…” Oh, and if anyone wants to buy us that little tram loco, we’d be cool with that!

So, I looked again, I did not find a price… anyone know anything?

The prices are on the web page:

https://www.edgb.nl/?page_id=3606&lang=en

Scroll to the bottom under White Pass and Yukon Rail road.

GE 90 analog €2200,-
GE 90 Digital mit Sound €2450,-
GE 90 Dummy €1800,-
Aufpreis für diese Modelle in F Scale 1:20,3 €495,-

So not being a Dutch speaker my guess is the last is basically add 495 euro to any of the above prices if you want the model in 1:20.3. Figure full sound and in 1:20.3 looking at $3K more or less (probably more).

This I think is the 1:22.5 version but still impressive.

weird, the original link for the model has NO prices at the bottom:

https://www.edgb.nl/?page_id=3604&lang=en

So, what do you click from the ABOVE link to get to a page with pricing? i.e. start from the home page and click on what?

Just curious since a few minutes proved fruitless (and it should be easy in my opinion if you want to charge over $2,500 for a plastic bodied diesel loco with (prototypically) little exterior detail.

Greg

Greg “Please note: because the prices for 3D printed parts are determined by the volume, there is a considerable price difference in these 2 scales. The F scale model is approximately 36% larger (in volume) than the IIm scale model.”

Ah, good olde Lets Go Broke. For that price, I had better be able to ride it.

Greg.

Get real!!!

If you think the loco is overpriced perhaps you could suggest another source for those that might be interested.

Better yet, you try and make one for a cheaper price.

Tony, please go back and read what I said…

Nowhere do I say it is overpriced.

But your re-reading should indicate that I feel the web site is substandard GIVEN an expensive product. (if not read again (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif))

And yes, I think his comment about 3d printing vs volume is out of whack, that is a pretty featureless exterior, should not take a lot of prep, and it is not solid!

I would venture more cost in the details applied, labor, and the cost of the drivetrain, stainless steel chassis and stainless rimmed wheels.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

weird, the original link for the model has NO prices at the bottom:

https://www.edgb.nl/?page_id=3604&lang=en

So, what do you click from the ABOVE link to get to a page with pricing? i.e. start from the home page and click on what?

Just curious since a few minutes proved fruitless (and it should be easy in my opinion if you want to charge over $2,500 for a plastic bodied diesel loco with (prototypically) little exterior detail.

Greg

YOU ARE CORRECT as always!! “It is” easy charging $2500 for a plastic bodied diesel loco with little prototypical exterior detail.

Eric Mueller said:

" Rooster " said:

Rick Marty said:

As for the model locomotives, I wouldn’t want one but I know a lot of folks are interested in them, I think the price could create a breathing issue.

Don’t even wanna think how far in debt I would be if a manufacturer made exactly what I wanted. However I’m probably further in debt by researching, purchasing trial and error supplies/materials and wasting time figuring it out but I’m having fun!

This post has been edited by Rooster: Upset and pissed off at myself for not using a comma after However, perhaps it should have been a semi colon!

Technically speaking, you had two choices. You could have created a compound sentence by using a “…wanted; however, I’m…” construction or by using “…wanted. However, I’m…” Oh, and if anyone wants to buy us that little tram loco, we’d be cool with that!

Rooster: Thanks Eric… LMAO

The “easy” referred to finding the pricing information on the site… that selling expensive stuff should be accompanied by a top quality site. But maybe so many people want to buy it that the quality of the web site does not matter.

Greg

The problem I think is that not everything got trsnslated. On the link to the page it days:

Origineel Model Prijzen all are tabs. For English speakers, Original, Model, Price.

Then when you go to price it lists everything.

Agree not the easest to get around.

Detail wise, not Bachmann 1:20.3 spectrum, but more to LGB good enough.

lorna dane said:

The problem I think is that not everything got trsnslated. On the link to the page it days:

Origineel Model Prijzen all are tabs. For English speakers, Original, Model, Price.

Then when you go to price it lists everything.

Interestingly, when you click on **Prijzen **the headings turn into english!

Detail wise, not Bachmann 1:20.3 spectrum, but more to LGB good enough.

I don’t see how they are going to make an accurate model - if the chassis/wheels are correct for 1:22.5 they will be wrong for 1:20.3. I can’t imagine they are going to retool everything to build a few 1:20.3 versions.

I agree, would seem a lot to have different trucks, for example, and change the wheelbase to suit… could see them using the same trucks and changing gauge and moving sideframes with spacers.

The chassis might be easier, make the shorter/smaller one, and move the truck centers for the different scale, the shell is different anyways, so the absolute size of the chassis is not apparent from outside.

Wheels and trucks might be the only challenge other that the different 3d printed shell, and the size of the detail parts.

At $2,500+ I am sure a prospective buyer could ask these questions directly and get answers.

Greg

Hmmm I thought they said they would use available motor blocks, so proper scale is dealt with. Printing side frames is easy peasy. Rereading it thrice denies that theory, my bad.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

We are not the market, because we ask; How much?

I know some who won’t buy, if the price isn’t high enough.

I’m going to assume these are first class high quality models, I’ll never be able to afford.

Do they have lay away?

The details on the power train, including belts indicate they are not using any current production trucks.

But for $2400 you can probably build anything you want.

Greg Elmassian said:

But for $2400 you can probably build anything you want.

Well Greg,

You have discussed this unit that you desire numerous times… so I ask?? “When will it be done” and for mass production as well ? I might be interested in one myself!

I just received an email with details directly from Ed.

I am getting more information from him, and then will present it here, all of it is impressive so far!

Greg

Hello,

First I would like to introduce myself: my name is Ed de Bruijn and I am founder and owner of Ed’s Garten Bahn. I started this company in 2012 because I was missing new and exciting models in the IIm scene. In Europe LGB is the prominent producer of models and new items where mainly old items with new paint. Besides that, LGB had to stick to their R1 curves which resulted in rolling stock that is too short and too small. So G scale was born.

The flexibility 3D printing brought gave me the possibility to produce small series (starting at 1 piece) with great detail. We only use Laser Sintering because this gives the smooth surface (after some additional work) that is needed. The well-known PLA printing process (with a wire that melts) is super for home solutions, but not usable when you commercially want to produce model trains. You just can’t get a nice finish.

We do not own a 3D printer, the investment of such a machine is way too high, the start at US$ 120.000.- and up and you’ll need a clean room with airco etc. So we have a partner in Belgium who is in the 3D printing business for over 20 years and who is offering a superb quality. There is a price with this and that is a large part of the amount we are asking. Another large amount of the salesprice as seen on our pricelist is the Dutch VAT. This is a whopping 21%. So prices for non-EU customers are lower (about -10%, due to more expensive shipping and insurance).

About the WP&Y GE-90: this model is developed after a request from a German customer. A short survey told us that this model would be interesting for more people because it fills that gap for White Pass & Yukon fans. It is designed in 1:22.5, the body is a one piece print with added separate parts. Other specifics can be found on the website.

The first event we visited with this locomotive was a few weeks ago in Switzerland. The loco drove around on the layout of Swiss US enthusiast. The picture posted here above is taken on that layout. The chairman of the Swiss US enthusiast asked me if I was going to produce this model in F scale. After a short consideration it was decided to do so. Don’t think this is just enlarging the 3D print, because it needs to be reworked for all holes that take a ballbearing, a led or whatever. It is almost like a new model.

So that is our story. We already have several customers in the US who use our Swiss models. And also our self driving cars (AutoMobilia) drive around in the US.

Feel free to ask questions as we appreciate direct contact and are always eager to improve our models.

Best regards,

Ed

Welcome Ed!

Welcome sir! Thank you for the explanation.