Large Scale Central

Which way do you control your trains

I prefer to run mine forward. I am currently running NCE DCC 10A ProCab with Zimo decoders in the engines.

My switches and accessories are still basically EPL controlled on a separate power supply. This might change in the future when TrainLi finally comes out with their new switch motors.

John Passaro said:

Rooster said:

Hard soldered 332 brass rail in 15’ to 20’ sections with split jaws connecting them. Crest power supply and a few Aristo TE’s all picking up power from the track.

Make up your mind: are you a rooster or a dinosaur?

I run on batteries, but I prefer to call it “on-board power” because that sounds more grown-up.

So are you saying that in the real world they do not “weld” (solder) rail ? Fred ,Padre,Friar that thanked you for you’re post and I personally tend to agree! Gel cells it is !

Derailed said:

I prefer to run mine forward.

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Just setup my First RailPro on a Bachmann C-19. Don Sweet walked me through the process and it works beautiful!!! R/C battery with sound. As she came alive my smile grew bigger!! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Jason

My battery powered LGB/Kalamazoo/Lionel LS engines have just a simple on/off toggle switch, with battery voltage being set to a nice slow speed. Keeps costs down and reused the RC car batteries I had on hand already. Then 2 live steamers with one having RCS RC control using their nice palm size controller. The second live steamer will get the RC in time if I keep it(probably will as I paid a bit to much for it). My friend uses the Crest Revolution RC control in his battery converted engines and RCS for his live steamers. Mike

Mike Toney said: My friend uses the Crest Revolution RC control in his battery converted engines and RCS for his live steamers.

It sounds like you are describing me! That is my setup exactly, except I still use R/C track power using Aristo Train Engineer for the other track powered units that haven’t been converted yet… (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Track power. Having only 75’ of rail helps.

Since I started this, I would like to say that I have read each answer and have gotten a very good indication on which way I’m leaning toward. Since my layout will most likely be indoors, but could go outdoors if I wanted to add a section for added running room. As you may know or not know I’m a modeler first, so the running of trains is second to my hobby wants and needs. I’m pretty much decided on either AirWire, or RailPro, battery power for my engines and the RailPro is probably going to be my choice of control at this time. There is no one system that is better then another and for your railroad layout it’s what works for you, so thanks for your input, all was given consideration.

trainman

I run track power with 3 Train Engineers. The railroad is set up with 23 blocks and any block can be addressed by any of the 3 controllers. Ther are also three point-to-point circuits built into the panel, so I can do point-to-point in lots of different configurations.

This would be very difficult/near impossible to do any other way. The trains interact and slow and wait for each other at key points and crossings.

https://youtu.be/-jmmQb8-8rY

John Lenheiser said:

Since I started this, I would like to say that I have read each answer and have gotten a very good indication on which way I’m leaning toward. Since my layout will most likely be indoors, but could go outdoors if I wanted to add a section for added running room. As you may know or not know I’m a modeler first, so the running of trains is second to my hobby wants and needs. I’m pretty much decided on either AirWire, or RailPro, battery power for my engines and the RailPro is probably going to be my choice of control at this time. There is no one system that is better then another and for your railroad layout it’s what works for you, so thanks for your input, all was given consideration.

trainman

Smart move! You’re gonna really like RailPro.