Large Scale Central

West Virgina & Kentucky Narrow Gauge Construction Log

Welp the walpaper will be no more…as soon the WV&K is moving to new quarters…tryin to be in the new house by the first of December…

Bart Salmons said:
Welp the walpaper will be no more...as soon the WV&K is moving to new quarters........tryin to be in the new house by the first of November.....
/me looks at the calendar.

I think you missed.

He didn’t say which year…:stuck_out_tongue:

If’n you’re moving, Bart, what’s gonna happen with the layout you reworked this summer…:expressionless:

Bart Salmons said:
Welp the walpaper will be no more...as soon the WV&K is moving to new quarters........tryin to be in the new house by the first of November.....
Hopefully it's as easy to find as the old place................;)
Ken Brunt said:
Bart Salmons said:
....tryin to be in the new house by the first of November.....
Hopefully it's as easy to find as the old place................;)
Notice that he did [u]not[/u] supply the address :) :P

Oh yeah…and theres another log cabin across the street to distract you as you drive right by the driveway!

As long as I know not to go to the one across the street, I’ll go to the right house. :smiley:

Just make sure it’s not the left house…:expressionless:

:smiley:

Perish the thought.

Bart Salmons said:
Oh yeah......and theres another log cabin across the street to distract you as you drive right by the driveway!
Oh swell!!..............;)

Welp…after being dormant for two months…thing have finally quietened down to the point I’ve decided to work on the On30 a bit (crappy weather, and getting a box of “railroad salvage” from Norm has kinda spurred my enthusiasm) The basement is mine…little smallish, but this is a secondary interest after all. Yesterday I milled a bunch of scrap 1x12 into L girder benchwork to support the old original GD 4x8 in a new location.

I’m almost back where I was pre-move. There will be a blue foam backdrop installed before everything goes permanent which will hide the rough walls and window, and the 4x8 sits 6" off the walls to allow access to what will be hidden track from underneath. I originally put the benchwork at 45", and decided it was way too high, especially when the branchline to “Daphetid” will rise another 4" above that. Much like the original GD I’m expanding the yard and moving engine facilities outside the loop. I have roughly 176" x 160" area to work with, just have to work around and allow easy access to the furnace I share space with, and have cobbled up a basic track plan that has a longish mainline run to and from a visible staging area:

4x8 is to the left…and the mainline will run down grade to the right dropping about 5 inches at the point of the crossover, giving me a grade of roughly 3%. Originally I had thought that the crossover point would be achieved with a tunnel, but I’m thinking a bridge and a river valley would be a more dramatic scene. The big decider here is if I’m going to need to install a siding at the top of the grade to allow doubling of the hill, which I think would lend a real challenge to operations. There is the decision…dramatic scenery or dramatic operations? That is the question…

and where do you park the helicopter?..:wink:

the heli is a largescale Item…I use it with the Outdoor line! hehehehe

Kewl. I’ll be waiting to see the aerial tour from the heli-cam !

“There is the decision…dramatic scenery or dramatic operations? That is the question…”

From this position, “form follows function” and scenery is way over rated, but sometimes desired to give the idea of why you are doing something. I’d worry about concentrating on the function and the rest will evolve.

Made some progress over the last couple of weeks. Got the original 4x8 mounted on new benchwork.

Backdrops hung, the tape is holding it while the liquid nails dry…

Cleared out a pile of junque for the Waldstat Extention, still need to get rid of some shelves on the far wall…

Shelves are gone, backdrop hung, and looky! BENCHWORK! This is gonna support the upper tier lumber town and and engine terminal and industries on the lower level…

This sorta gives an idea for how much room I’m gonna have on the lower level of the extention. Gonna put in the upper tier this morning, and cut some templates for a Turntable and Roundhouse…

Bob McCown said:
Lookin good Bart! Too bad N scale cant be considered large scale, Id post some of my indoor layout pics! :)
bob, it is your site, you can post whatever u want

Post the N scale stuff in the off topic forum. Gotta be better than some of the stuff already posted there…:smiley: :wink:

Bob, why don’t you start an “off topic models” forum for those of us that model in other scales/subjects too. After all I do have my big stuff (1 1/2" scale) that would be better there and Steve has his “O” scale tinplate. You have your N scale and I’m sure others have their smaller/larger stuff that’s technically off topic. Torby has his boats and I think Bart and a couple others are also military builders.