Large Scale Central

Two Foot gauge Caboose build

Pete,

He is a cheater, he builds in giant scale. No need for reading glasses and tweezers. . . Cheating or not he does awesome work

m

Eric, what kind of paint works on the foil tape?

Thanks

Chris

I experimented with the hand rails. these are forged steel. I tried to thin the metal in the curved parts of the side…it looks like the real one is thinned there too. I heated it with my torch and beat on it with a hammer while rotating the wire. Once I had it thinned a little, I flattened the top section. I drilled holes for the brake wheel and the vertical stanchion. I filed the tip of the stanchion thinner, pushed it into the drilled hole in the top rail and peened it a little to keep it there.

Aluminum foil duct tape cut into sheets makes the “tin” roof

I sprayed it with rustoleum red primer… Seems to stick pretty well… Except where it gets handled and bent.

Eric Schade said:

I sprayed it with rustoleum red primer… Seems to stick pretty well… Except where it gets handled and bent.

Cool. Thanks!

C.

I saw the very beginning of this way back, and then forgot about it. Wow! that has turned out fantastic. A true one of a kind. Do you have any finished shots with the roof painted ? Nice work.

Devon Sinsley said:

Pete,

He is a cheater, he builds in giant scale. No need for reading glasses and tweezers. . . Cheating or not he does awesome work

So…building in “giant scale” is “cheating”? Then THIS guy is a Master Cheater…3 inch scale bobber caboose.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=95269

Here’s an even larger project this guy is doing. It’s a combine to be used on Bill Semerau’s Mesa Grande Western RR in the desert of Southern California. It runs on 9 inch gauge track (3 foot prototype NG). The engines and rolling stock are HUGE! This combine will be used on this layout.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=103098

Remember this Devon…when building in the larger scales, all the little details are much bigger and you actually have to make these pieces. In the smaller scales (say 1/29 or 1/20.3) you can barely see these parts.

Gary Armitstead said:

Remember this Devon…when building in the larger scales, all the little details are much bigger and you actually have to make these pieces. In the smaller scales (say 1/29 or 1/20.3) you can barely see these parts.

Yes and no because I can still see these pieces and parts down to 1:32 . I realize my bifocal days are coming though!

Once again…Nice work Gary!

" Rooster " said:

Gary Armitstead said:

Yes and no because I can still see these pieces and parts down to 1:32 . I realize my bifocal days are coming though!

Once again…Nice work Gary!

Not my work Rooster, but this guy does some beautiful wood working on his models. He has an entire train of rolling stock of this quality!

Boomer asked for some photos of this caboose from all 4 sides…he has something cool planned I am sure!

Jay at the Train Department made some nice looking 7/8th scale Portland Company wheel sets. I installed some on my caboose this afternoon…

this scale is not for me. my whole indoors space would allow just one short station, but no place where to run to.

but the woodwork is remarkable. the joints of the boards, the rounded edges of the steps…

Awesome work, love the lap flooring. been wanting to do that myself. love to know how you make it and your bead board siding.

Dan

In large scale, counting the rivets is easy. It’s getting them the right shape that’s the bugger!

Great work, Eric. But what else can you say to a guy who mills his own beadboard siding? :wink:

Later,

K

Hey Eric. I was wondering if you had a copy of the plans for this caboose. I want to build this to go with my Roundhouse Forney. Do you have the plans for 1:20 scale? I sent you a message via FB as well.