Large Scale Central

Triple O -- Bachmann 10-Wheeler Salvage Campaign

HiEveryone,

Here is the picture of the break:

You can see that the post holding the truck to the frame snapped as did the truck itself.

It would seem that I could try Pete’s (@PeterT ) and Bill’s (@Hines ) suggestion, using a solvent style glue and a bit of a U-channel to brace it. Then I should be able to tap a hold into the step and drive a screw through the lot. There would be nothing hurt in trying.

Fred (@freddy ) thanks for the kind offer of replacement parts. I will write you separately. They would be welcomed.

As for drilling into the frame to mount a new style truck, I am wondering if the plastic will handle it. The stems that take the screws holding the bottom of the chassis to the upper part of the chassis gave way, too, and we are going to have to get long screws to hold this contraption together. One part we are going to see if we can “fix” with a zip tie held in place with CA, reinforcing the steam and allowing the screw to bite. The cause of the break is unknow, but could be 1.) we overtightened it, 2.) we used screws from a different derelict that were slightly larger, 3.) the plastic was old and brittle and could no longer handle the stress of holding together a working loco’, or 4.) Act of Dog. One more thing to puzzle out as we proceed.

Eric

Eric;
Today, I have mailed you two “New” pilot trucks for your 10 wheelers (No Charge) Enjoy…
Please send me your telephone number, and email address Does your email address have a dot at the end of it ?
Fred Mills

That would be my guess.
I get to fix the pilot on an old Circus loco this week - my pal Jack in Florida has 2 and the working one has a broken pilot so they will be swapped. Not sure what will happen to the other!

Update:

While we await Fred’s parts (@freddy ), I decided to forge ahead with a repair effort. I got a plastic I-beam that, as it turned out, was just a bit too wide for the job, but that was easily remedied with styrene shim left over from another project. I remembered that I had a huge tin of MEK bought for a long forgotten project, so I grabbed that, too. I then clamped that lot together and let it lie.
Uploading: 20240420_132244.jpg…
It worked! I found a bit of dowel we will cut to make that “stem” that rises into the chassis, and I bought some small woodscrews today.

Today, Kid-zilla and I scrounged up our remaining pilot trucks, and he and I set to work cutting the bits we will need to repair them. We will glue the remaining pilots back together over the course of the week, then we will set about trying to connect them to the various chassis. Even if Fred’s pilot trucks get here first, finding away to make spares from trash seems like a good idea!

Beyond the pilot trucks, we puzzled over how best to attach that lower plate of the chassis to the upper portion with that busted stem. I found a bit of styrene tube that just fits over the stem. What if I glued that on, filled the cavity with CA, then tapped a new hole? Also, for the record, our zip-tie reinforcement of the other stem worked.

I’d show pictures but, I have some internet connectivity issues at the moment…

Eric

It should work. I had a Bachmann tender with a huge battery in it and it looked as if the owner had picked it up a few times and the screws stripped.
You can see in this pic that he put tubes on them to make them connect in the right place, then he drilled out the hole in the top and used longer screws.

Pete,

Thanks, we’ll go for it, using the longer screw in lieu of trying to fill and tap the cap. That sounds like an easier solution!

This project, by the way, has really captured Kid-zilla’s imagination, so restoring these old iron horses has taken lead on the lanai. To better capture our weekend efforts, below is a picture of our first repaired pilot and accompanying repair material:

As mentioned, we need to cut a bit of dowel to shape to replace the plastic rod that once connected this to forlorn Big Hauler.

This having proved successful, Kid-zilla and I rounded up all the other pilots, cut the I-beams…

…removed paint from the scrap styrene that would serve as shims…

…and commenced repairs, which, today, include buffing corrosion off the pilot wheels.

Fred’s donor pilot will got to Emmett. The next donor will got to the second derelict to return to service. We’ll use our spares for derelict number three and whatever goes out next!

In the meantime, he and I are debating paint schemes. Emmett will remain our circus train by mutual agreement. He gave me permission to transform Other Emmett into a proper OR&L inspired iron horse. Other North Star he asserts should remain a Christmas-themed engine. I think we may compromise and do this one up in a more Wild West color scheme to maintain the colorfulness while moving away from a holiday-specific engine. We’ll see!

Updates as progress merits!

Eric

Kind of sounds like it is you and KZlla as the main operators of the repair and maintainence shop. Well it is easier to reach a consensus with only 2 to vote, than the opinions of many! Looks like you have this well in hand!

yeah, seems that this repair and maintenance shop depends heavily on child labour…

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Two replacement Pony trucks, for the Bachmann ten wheelers, have arrived at the “Island Repair shops”…The great “Professional Child Labour” can now make part of the repairs needed.
FJPM

Indeed! Thanks, Fred, for the assist! We will press one into immediate service on Emmett and place the other in reserve. We will also proceed with our experiment in repairing the broken pilot trucks.

Professional and personal obligations will place this and other projects on hold, however. I will see if Kid-zilla can get the other derlicts prepped while I am otherwise busy.

Eric