Large Scale Central

Trainworld blowing out 2 Truck Climaxes

Huh. From Kramer’s site, $239 for the Climax with DCC and sound… That’s almost like buying a DCC / sound card with a free loco glued to it.

Off topic, but thanks for starting the thread Jon.

Rooster, you blew “read the whole thread from the beginning”… so you must have only read the first posts? If you go to the electronics store you can buy more memory. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Greg

I didn’t know that you could even expand the memory in a Commodore 64.

charles fernette said:

Al Kramer is selling new ones with factory sound for $275 on ebay.

Chuck

Chuck,

Did you notice the shipping charge $53.00! That makes the total cost $328.00. Trainworld is shipping for a VERY reasonable $12.99. You can’t beat that. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Yes, Joe;

But remember that includes the sound system.

Chuck

charles fernette said:

Yes, Joe;

But remember that includes the sound system.

Chuck

So you think that a sound system makes a $40 difference in shipping? I don’t think so! Sounds like gouging to me.

That $13 for shipping that sizeable loco is almost unbelievable. Great deal, but perhaps Al’s cost is to anywhere, and the $13 is as presented, what it was 75 miles?

I’ve been burned by TW before, and on shipping, so it might not be exactly these numbers. Agreed it should not be $40 difference in shipping, but is it to the same place? Are we comparing apples to oranges on the shipping?

Greg

Greg,

TW charged Jon $12.99 to go 75 miles and charged me $12.99 to go 1100 miles. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Destination charges on a new car are the same throughout the country, regardless of the point of origin.

“If It Fits, It Ships” charges are the same throughout the country, regardless of the point of origin which is why I use this option for my business.

That is great Joe, good to know that, that is a great shipping price. Just out of curiosity, what carrier? Was it perhaps FedEx “home delivery”? I get that for bulky items, seems to be sort of a second distribution system within FedEx, even separate buildings down here in Sandy Eggo.

Greg

Joe,

What I meant was for the extra $40 you would have a factory installed sound system.

Chuck

Greg Elmassian said:

That is great Joe, good to know that, that is a great shipping price. Just out of curiosity, what carrier? Was it perhaps FedEx “home delivery”? I get that for bulky items, seems to be sort of a second distribution system within FedEx, even separate buildings down here in Sandy Eggo.

Greg

The tracking # is UPS

charles fernette said:

Joe,

What I meant was for the extra $40 you would have a factory installed sound system.

Chuck

Actually it adds up to $115 more (with the shipping) to get the installed sound system which I don’t want in the first place. $75 more for the loco and $40 more for the shipping. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I received my Climax after 5 pm today (Thurs. 11-21-19). Unboxed it, put it up on rollers and supplied track power to make sure it worked (it did). Hooked up a connector to the battery terminals in the bunker and set the switches under the r/h sandbox for battery pickup and large scale polarity(which I found out does ziltch on battery power) and hooked up my trail car that I use with my Shay. Everything works 4.0! Out to the railroad in the dark for a test run with a few pieces of rolling stock in tow. All is good in Saint Johns Florida. I like it! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Tomorrow I’ll lube everything. I’ll use it at my train club event Saturday. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Mine arrived Wednesday. I didn’t even open the outer box; just inspected for rough handling and finding none, tucked it away for the future. I have a Porter I drove to Stroudsburg to pick up nearly two years ago that is still awaiting R/C. I also have a 3 truck Shay I bought used this summer that is also awaiting R/C install.

I am at a crosdroads for R/C.

I have been using Del Taparo’s original Rail Boss system for a long time. I still have a few controllers and receivers left, but not enough for everything. At this point I have two more locos needing R/C & sound than I have boards for. I either need to find some second hand “Enhanced” Railboss systems or consider changing the entire fleet.

If I change; I doubt it will be to Revolution since the built in sound doesn’t satisfy my demanding ears and the one and only time I used the transmitter I fat-fingered the buttons putting it into the wrong mode at exactly the time immediate control was needed. There may have been a software fix for that by now - as this was a very early production model I was using.

It’s probably too late in my railroads life for Track Powered DCC without major wiring work, but I really like the sound capabilities of the newer decoders; especially for diesels. So perhaps Airwire or Martin Sant’s system might be where I end up.

I just ordered an unlettered Climax, w/ DCC+sound, from Al Kramer.

Apparently, the prices he had on his web site didn’t have proper shipping listed (it was way low), so those of you who got in on that really got a deal!

Anyway, his roll-ez.com site doesn’t have any listed at the moment, until they get all that straightened out. So I em’d Al, he said he’d take 10% off any of his Ebay prices. But the shipping is now around $50. Bottom line, $300.50 for the loco (including shipping) – quite a great deal.

TW’s price for the same is $399. However, the TW price for non-DCC non-sound is still crazy low, $199.

Al mentioned he still had all 6 road names, just pick the item number (86093, 94, 95, 96, 97 or 98) from the Bachmann site and let him know.

In case you’re interested, Al’s address is:

[email protected]

Cliff