Large Scale Central

Train Wall

Joe Paonessa said:
. If I made that big a shelved wall, I’d have an excuse to fill it!!
(go shopping!)

I am pretty sure what I have already will fill the wall with ease, but it should free up more storage shelf space for me to add more!

:slight_smile:

Joe Paonessa said:
. Glen Snyder (and others) also makes a product out of cast aluminum for train shelves.

I have and will be installing his shelves.

Joe Paonessa said:

There’s cheaper track out there that would work great for this if you wanted it. Gargraves comes to mind along with others. Even a plastic display rail now. Glen Snyder (and others) also makes a product out of cast aluminum for train shelves. I’m guessing that it’s more expensive.
I do like this whole project. Very nice. I don’t think you could beat that price, unless you just made grooves in the shelves. If your happy with it, that’s all that matters. If I made that big a shelved wall, I’d have an excuse to fill it!!
(go shopping!)

Joe,

Vinny’s idea is better for him than plastic track, as he mentioned making a test track. This could be powered and serve that function.

@Vinny, way to go!

I don’t know about that stuff. Seems to me something like a metal hudson, big boy, or even Madam Mallet at 21 pounds + tender would create an awful force on that mounting flange. What do you think?

Tom Ruby said:

I don’t know about that stuff. Seems to me something like a metal hudson, big boy, or even Madam Mallet at 21 pounds + tender would create an awful force on that mounting flange. What do you think?

That is why all of my heavier engines will be going on the cement / wooden shelf on the bottom.

Finally had a chance to finish up the rail on the bottom shelf.

Once again,I’m jealous as I could fill that wall (if I had it) with Amtrash real fast!

Looks great!(btw… 1:1 automobiles can’t crash into that wall can they?)

David Russell said:

Once again,I’m jealous as I could fill that wall (if I had it) with Amtrash real fast!

Looks great!(btw… 1:1 automobiles can’t crash into that wall can they?)

I have learned never, to say never!
They now would have to drive through the fence with steel poles we put up, plus make it over the fish pond… but I am sure if someone really tries hard enough it could happen… again…
The train wall is just left of the epic disaster of a few years back.

The painful memories!

Vincent: love the new wall to display you trains on. Interesting basement construction. Don’t think I have seen anything like it before, pretty cool. The nice stained wood looks great against the white wall. I have a suggestion that you might want to consider. How about covering the concrete wall below the shelf with some wainscoating, to make it look like the inside of a Railroad station.

Dan S.

Trust a guy in a conductor’s uniform to come up with that idea! Vincent, this is the first I heard about the crash. WOWSERS!

Wottamess. Glad you and yours presumably survived without injury, tho prolly shocked and shaken. Looks like the trains were well packed, thank goodness. I’m sorry for your grief, and glad it was long enough ago to be pretty much over it by now.

Cheers…

Dan Stuettgen said:
. I have a suggestion that you might want to consider. How about covering the concrete wall below the shelf with some wainscoating, to make it look like the inside of a Railroad station.

Dan S.

Not really sure what I am going to do with the concrete wall, but your idea could have good possibilities.

John Le Forestier said:

Trust a guy in a conductor’s uniform to come up with that idea! Vincent, this is the first I heard about the crash. WOWSERS!

Wottamess. Glad you and yours presumably survived without injury, tho prolly shocked and shaken. Looks like the trains were well packed, thank goodness. I’m sorry for your grief, and glad it was long enough ago to be pretty much over it by now.

Cheers…

Yes the crash was a royal PIA, we were fine, the house was not.
The worst part was it happened at 2am while we were sleeping, and it just happened to be during a nasty cold spell in December a few years back.
The truck sheared the natural gas line at ground level coming into the house so we had no heat for a few days, but luckily the truck missed the electrical panel by about 12" or it could have been a LOT worse.

You can see in the picture above that the truck took out the last stud right before the panel, the alarm panel got a little twisted!

You just never know!

I’d suggest the Faux Stacked Rock that could be joined to the cement wall for a rustic look…

Better yet New England Brick Master!!:wink:

Vincent, it’s a nice looking wall and I do like the aluminum shelving you’ve got… I do believe I would have gotten some plastic track and ties, to place on the wood shelf… Seems to me, it would have made a much better appearance than the L-shaped aluminum…

Of course, it’s just my opinion, like I said, wall looks good…

Andy Clarke said:

Vincent, it’s a nice looking wall and I do like the aluminum shelving you’ve got… I do believe I would have gotten some plastic track and ties, to place on the wood shelf… Seems to me, it would have made a much better appearance than the L-shaped aluminum…

Of course, it’s just my opinion, like I said, wall looks good…

It was a toss up Andy, if I could have found track at a reasonable price I would have done it that way.
However, I kind of like how the rail I installed has the same appearance (aluminum ) as the shelves that will be installed.
And, it is all going to be covered in trains anyway

The good thing, is if I decide I don’t like it, it is a easy change!

Vincent, true, understand the same appearance angle… Maybe just some “fake” ties out on the viewing side… Like I said, was just my opinion…

Andy Clarke said:
Maybe just some “fake” ties out on the viewing side…

I like that idea!

Mission today was to finish the wall… or as close to it as we could get!
My builder friend came over at 8am and we had ALL of the shelving up by noon time.

Here is the American Flyer side

And the large scale side

Both