Large Scale Central

The Boxcab Project

Rooster ’ said:

Betty Boop is dead man !

This was brought to the Finger Lakes Live Steamers 50th Anniversary in early August, 2019. It ran on 4.75 track (1"), but was a 7.25 track (1.5") model. Built and owned by the new editor of Live Steam Magazine. Very nicely done with a huge sound system connected to a smoke unit with a big tank that with every sound bellowed out smoke. Quite cool! Loved the roof work.

Ric Golding said:

Rooster ’ said:

Betty Boop is dead man !

This was brought to the Finger Lakes Live Steamers 50th Anniversary in early August, 2019. It ran on 4.75 track (1"), but was a 7.25 track (1.5") model. Built and owned by the new editor of Live Steam Magazine. Very nicely done with a huge sound system connected to a smoke unit with a big tank that with every sound bellowed out smoke. Quite cool! Loved the roof work.

that is a fantastic model! this is tempting me more and more to join the dark side of ride on railroading

Aaron Loyet said:

Ric Golding said:

Rooster ’ said:

Betty Boop is dead man !

that is a fantastic model! this is tempting me more and more to join the dark side of ride on railroading

Why ? Because of the rooftop seating options ?

I gotta have somewhere to park my fat rump rooster hehehe

Aaron Loyet said:

I gotta have somewhere to park my fat rump rooster hehehe

Yeah …right in the middle !

Well, it’s been awhile, but at least nobody has asked for their deposit back! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

First up…disassembly. Egads…I can’t remember exactly how I did this way back when in my first project, so it’s mainly turning it upside down and THEN discovering what those screws do…

I soon discover that these screws just hold these tanks in place…or so I thought originally, but after I get everything apart I find that those tanks also hide screws that hold the main cab in place.

Aha! THESE are the screws that hold the front part of the hoods - they must be removed first.

Once I removed all of those screws, I can get to the innards…NONE of which I will be keeping.

The basic premise is that I will be making room for all of this - the electronics that Ric gave me to install - battery pack and sound, etc.

I still have to get rid of some of this wiring. Above, you can see the screw that holds the trucks in place, as well as the four plungers that make contact with the trucks for electrical power.

I’ll be removing all the plungers and opening up the trucks so I can get to the wiring to HARD WIRE the connections. No plungers for me!

I need to remove these standoffs to give me a platform to work from, but I can NOT get the screws that hold them in place to free up at all. So, I’ll be grinding them off from the bottom…(I know, what a wimp!)

(In my version, I made a replacement base, but here I’m going to use this one. I think I’ll also keep the end railing for looks, mostly (even though one of them is already broken! Ack, I can be so clumsy (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif))

I’ll also be using some of the parts (the vents, smokestacks, and maybe some of the control stand) in the box cab. Should be interesting!

Ric,

I do have a question - the electronics you gave me seems to have only one light! I’m planning on two, of course, and I’d like them to be directional. Any tips for doing that?

Bruce Chandler said:

Ric,

I do have a question - the electronics you gave me seems to have only one light! I’m planning on two, of course, and I’d like them to be directional. Any tips for doing that?

Boy did he suck you in !

I told him that he gets 2 wires out of the motor block the rest is his problem!

Rooster ’ said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Ric,

Boy did he suck you in !

Is that just became Amtrak does it that way???(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Bruce Chandler said:

Rooster ’ said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Ric,

Boy did he suck you in !

Is that just became Amtrak does it that way???(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Yes !

Boxcabs can became Amtrak as there are NO rules with boxcabs …Ric said so himself a few moons ago !

Rooster ’ said:

Boxcabs can became Amtrak as there are NO rules with boxcabs …Ric said so himself a few moons ago !

I’m pretty sure that Ric is correct…but it doesn’t work the other way since Amtrak has “rules”.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

“Ambox” has a nice corporate ring to it.

FYI – When I kit bashed my RS3, as I first disassembled it, I put all the screws into one of those compartmented plastic bead boxes you can get from Michael’s. All the screws from one assembly would go into one compartment, screws from another area into the next compartment, etc. I also put a scrap of paper with a little note in each compartment to remind me which screws came from what parts.

There are so many different screws holding the loco together, some with only minor differences, and it was many months before the project was complete. If I hadn’t organized the screws the way I did, I never would have remembered which ones go where.

Ray Dunakin said:

FYI – When I kit bashed my RS3, as I first disassembled it, I put all the screws into one of those compartmented plastic bead boxes you can get from Michael’s. All the screws from one assembly would go into one compartment, screws from another area into the next compartment, etc. I also put a scrap of paper with a little note in each compartment to remind me which screws came from what parts.

There are so many different screws holding the loco together, some with only minor differences, and it was many months before the project was complete. If I hadn’t organized the screws the way I did, I never would have remembered which ones go where.

Hmm were did I put that box …(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)