Large Scale Central

SP Kittery Sub build

VERY helpful Eric, I have some long spans, like 6 to 12 feet, and maybe I need something that looks more like a truss bridge… also then I can have cross bracing above the locos and cars.

It would seem to me that trying to keep the sides from pinching in above would be very hard with any bracing below, unless it was longitudinally stiffening…

I would welcome a separate thread on the bridge and what can be learned…

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Eric, a suggestion, this thread is getting long and some of your pictures are 6,000 pixels wide, and take some time to load. I have a fast connection, but if you keep this as a build log, it’s going to get unwieldy… I do believe you know it loads the entire picture at full resolution and then scales it for viewing… that is the speed issue.

I can’t advise you which way is best, lower resolution pictures or more separate threads, because I love the pictures!

Love the bridge, that’s probably what I need in a couple of places, how long can the span be?

Greg

Rooster digs out the video of Penny

There is one of her as the weather girl on the Flagstaff, AZ tv station… there’s your challenge Roos…

Big day today:

Here’s looking for a whole lot more like that and going a lot further…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

awesome!!!

Looking good Eric!

I have the 5-bridge viaduct installed, and track laid. It’s a bit hard to tell in the photos, but the piers are a flat concrete color, and the bridges are metallic silver.

Looks Good.

Eric Reuter said:

Big day today:

You gotta love that USA Trains Southern Pacific GP-9 with Airwire and Phoenix sound with upgraded speaker. It looks and sounds great, I tells ya! All you need now is one more GP-9 for a doubleheader to pull more cars.

Michael Kirrene said:

You gotta love that USA Trains Southern Pacific GP-9 with Airwire and Phoenix sound with upgraded speaker. It looks and sounds great, I tells ya! All you need now is one more GP-9 for a doubleheader to pull more cars.

I have one waiting for conversion. I may just make it a dummy to start.

You should hear one with 2 speakers, both in enclosures:

Top speaker (without bottom cover)

Bottom speaker bolts here:

I can get you the files, these were designed by Dave Stubbs…

Greg

That’s winter stuff!

I just took delivery of a tiny window sash (8x8) from a carpenter friend. It has a plexiglass panel. This will be lifted by a linear actuator.

Just out of curiosity, are you planning on adding any temporary insulation-ish thing to the bottom to keep the draft out? Or are the small openings near the rails not enough to worry about?

That wall is getting insulated and drywalled soon. I’ll probably just put some kind of panel over the whole thing in the winter. The basement isn’t really heated space, though I do have a couple of electric heaters that get it up to a reasonable temp when I’m working down there, provided it’s not crazy cold out. We had a week this past winter when it didn’t get over 0º, and I didn’t spend any time down there.

What, no awning?

I agree with Maynard as I was thinking the same myself. A small awing will make a more weather tight difference “in my opinion”. I know it sounds stupid but I believe it to be true.

There is a roof overhang above. We had biblical thunderstorms this afternoon, and no water got in.

Eric,

The new siding on the house looks great. That 8 inch window is the best building train entry I have ever seen. Nice work!