Large Scale Central

Sierra Dcc help!

Hi Greg.

I can confirm the # 7 & # 8 track pick up terminals can handle whatever the max voltage rating is for the sound system.

Terminals # 2 & # 4 have a maximum voltage input of 12 volts.

I only know about the Sierra with battery power and not track power of any type.

Not to derail the tread too much but if one was to bench test a Sierra board, what pins to use?

Edit: Got the answer from TOC. Nevermind.

OK, let’s not get confused here.

The battery/power terminals, the 2 pin connector with red and black should not run over 12 volts, I quoted you what will happen if you exceed it. It turns out that screw terminals #2 and #4 are connected to the red and black also. Tony is not meaning to confuse you, he and TOC use the screw terminals to avoid using that connector. No difference in operation.

As Tony says, the “speed sense” leads that are connected to the motor can take a higher voltage, but that does not matter here.

Would you PLEASE verify the stuff I am asking you? What voltage are you presenting to the red and black power leads? If it is over 12 volts you should destroy the sound card in short order as I already posted.

Greg

Here is voltage

This is with Sierra connected but not motor connection

I give up.

You posted that you eliminated the regulator and just put a cap there… I told you that is dangerous and asked what the voltage was, has to be about 16 volts.

Now you have put the 6v regulator back in place and shown me that, which was no issue, except that it might overheat the regulator.

There are many questions I asked to try to help, which you did not answer, like track voltage, voltage without regulator, etc.

Have fun… I give up.

This is a video with decoder, Sierra and Sierra connected with motor

Greg as per previous post it is a PIKO system with measuring track voltage is 12-13v