Large Scale Central

Shopping for new 2.4GHz Transmitter

Greg Elmassian said:

You guys need DCC, sounds like a lot of trouble trying to make an airplane controller do train functions.

Greg

What is DCC ?

That transmitter is all “Upside Down” …the “F.R.E.D’S” go on the bottom and maybe get some Burts Bees for those hands.

This post has been edited by ROOSTER: forgot the apostrophe after Burt.

Rooster ’ said:

Greg Elmassian said:

You guys need DCC, sounds like a lot of trouble trying to make an airplane controller do train functions.

Greg

What is DCC ?

Answer; A control system adopted by all of the manufacturers with the aim of dominating Large Scale but unlike H0 etc, not quite getting much above the novelty stage.

Well, DCC has certainly dominated the large scale sound system market, very few non-DCC sound systems, but it is not a conspiracy, but a matter of economics for LS, the features cost a lot to develop, and when you can make a sound system, and then add transistors to handle the power for various scales, it is cheaper to produce and develop as opposed to something made only for one scale.

In any case, it seems that continuing to try to add more and more “function buttons” to control more sounds “flies in the face” (pun intended) of a control system intended for an airplane, with no sound system.

I was surprised at the number of sound functions Jon wants to call out, I would have taken him for a “bell and whistle only” kind of guy.

Greg

Greg - If you had a clue what you were talking about I might address your points; but you don’t. It is not an airplane control system. Only the TX/RX pair is borrowed from the RC Aircraft genre.

I don’t go on your DCC posts and try and convince folks that RC or plain DC is superior. Why don’t you stop perpetuating this argument.

Just to be a trouble maker- if anyone wants an R/C to DCC solution I have some boards and software I can fetch out of my archives…

(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Yeah, it was designed for model trains:

So the trim tab controls are used for trains, and joysticks are common train throttles.

I was commenting on the remapping of a model plane control system to function on off commands better served with buttons, not joysticks.

Tell me what I do not understand… show me the picture of the horn, bell, and headlight buttons on your remote…

I did not tell you go from battery to track power, I was and still am amazed at all the functions on an airplane controller that have to be remapped to sound functions.

Greg

p.s. I did nothing to insult you but you apparently think you should be able to insult me because I disagree with you… nice …

Yes, remapping stick radio functions may be necessary if you wish to use stick radios.

Although R/C switch modules that simply plug into Rx’s. are readily available to do pretty well anything you want. Even operate DCC…

Or, like the RCS DSM2/DSMX hand pieces, the Core Tx modules are designed for trains in the first place.

To date they have been Standard DSM2/DSMX compatible receivers converted to Tx’s with rewritten firmware.

The next generation will have purpose built 10 channel Tx core modules.

I have a new Rx107-xx DSM2/DSMX Rx that is highly programmable. The 8 channels can be programmed for servo Use, control an external ESC, Single or multi function trigger use and Directional constant brightness lighting.

It can also be set up to control 12 different Rx’s at the same time with a Loco Select compatible Tx.

before this gets locked, if I have a old transmitter from a broken drone, (that went for a swim on its first day can it be programmed to run a train?) How much does it cost and who can do this?

Pete Lassen said:

before this gets locked, if I have a old transmitter from a broken drone, (that went for a swim on its first day can it be programmed to run a train?) How much does it cost and who can do this?

Pete you need the ESC that came with the Tx, It will control the speed, the other triggers are for the sound card. However they aren’t known to be good swimmers and your E(lectronic)S(peed) C(ontrol) was in the drone.

Greg Elmassian said:

So the trim tab controls are used for trains, and joysticks are common train throttles.

I was commenting on the remapping of a model plane control system to function on off commands better served with buttons, not joysticks.

Tell me what I do not understand… show me the picture of the horn, bell, and headlight buttons on your remote…

I did not tell you go from battery to track power, I was and still am amazed at all the functions on an airplane controller that have to be remapped to sound functions.

Greg

p.s. I did nothing to insult you but you apparently think you should be able to insult me because I disagree with you… nice …

Joysticks are actually quite common train throttles.

If you really want to see this thread locked I’ll tell you what I really think. Let me have a few more beers first…

Greg - take a look at those last three letters in your profile city and take your own advice. Perhaps permanently.

Pete Lassen said:

The system I am using is (unfortunately) discontinued. As John said, there are ESC’s you can buy; and you would need a receiver too. Me thinks you would be better off to sell or give away that lonely transmitter and buy one of the many complete systems available.

Rooster ’ said:

Greg Elmassian said:

Greg

Joysticks are actually quite common train throttles.

This is true, but only in switching.

I believe one joystick controls the throttle and the other the brakes.

Adam

and it has 8 switches, like my point, for all the sound functions, switches and buttons and knobs better than joystick for our models, looks like even for switching 8 buttons vs 2 joysticks, and no trim tabs or aileron or other airplane controls…

was commenting on the remapping of a model plane control system to function on off commands better served with buttons, not joysticks.

Greg, Jon was asking where to find a DX5e, and we helped him. He wasn’t asking for a lecture on why DCC and buttons are better, in your opinion.

True, like threads other people start on track power and the battery mafia suggest batteries. Watch the halo.

Also no lecture on DCC, read back carefully, the reference to DCC was that sound systems are becoming all DCC, and buttons instead of joysticks since he had so many functions to control.

Also, he was helped long ago in the thread, if you look back I was first to help.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

True, like threads other people start on track power and the battery mafia suggest batteries. Watch the halo.

SNIP.

Greg

Now now Greg.

Battery Mafia indeed!!!

Haven’t you learned your lesson yet?

You are just so predictable. As soon as you start to lose the argument to logic you resort to the tried and true defence… Change the subject.

I’ve almost stopped monitoring, or taking part in threads like this, as it seems to always end up like watching young children fighting over who’s thingy is bigger, or who’s father is the richest…

If just plain straight forward information, was presented for asked questions, and the petty politics were kept out of it; fewer people would keep leaving this web page. There shouldn’t be conceived winners, and loosers in this hobby. We should all be winners.

I may have contributed to some of the stupidity, in the past, but…NO MORE.

I’m sure some of you will gladly see less of me…

Fred Mills

Now Fred… All you need to do is tune out the noise.

Your participation has always been welcome and appreciated. We love to rib you about some of your pet peeves (bridge guardrails for example), but it is done in the spirit of friendship. If you really want to trace were this thread ran off the rails; it was my post listing all the functions the discontinued Railboss Plus with a accessory trigger board support. That was all the ammunition one needed to go on the attack against the system I use.

So who would have thunk a thread this uninteresting would get this many responses and views (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)