Large Scale Central

RC WWII German Tanks!

i got this one a few years ago when i went RC fro my trains

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12672__US_M4A3_Sherman_Medium_RC_Tank_RTR_w_Tx.html

not bad for 24 bucks

Hi Mark. Gotta love the Sherman. She is small, nimble and really a first rate tank in any scale. Not bad for $24 bucks is right. Good deal. Looks nice too. Allot of room for detailing that bad boy.

I saw a scratched built Sherman Tank this fellow brought to a tank meet once years ago now. I mean, this tank was “BUCK”. It had everything except the kitchen sink. LOL Totally cool. Totally real and totally capable of running over my meager little Tiger 1. His Sherman was 1/4 scale to the real machine. Big!!!

Stacy K

Here’s the zimmerit armor I started on the tiger.

(http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/paintjockey/tiger%201/IMG_20140501_150552_378_zps55f07cbd.jpg)

Looks great Terry.

I like the Zimmerit on the Tiger. Makes it look more menacing.

Gosh, I haven’t fooled with my tanks in months. Almost forgot what they look like. Oh a fiddle around here and there, but I really like taking them to the park and running them around. Just fun and the crowds usually gather. LOL

I have a brand new Tiger 1 (early model), which I plan on working on in the near future. I hope to modify it with metal tracks and an upgraded gearing system. It’s alright now, but not prototypical when moving. Also, I plan on using this tank in battles. So, it needs some modifications to bring it up to speed for scale battling.

Stacy

Ok, got me curious. Have helicopters, crashed a couple.
Found the Taigen Tiger, metal drive and track version. $400+. But looks to be worth it.
Shoots, smokes, sound, multi directional travel, all for less than some of my 1:20 engines.
The metal upgrade Henglong is only $150 does all the same stuff.

Here’s a chance to get a real one:

http://fox6now.com/2014/06/24/happen-to-be-looking-for-a-1941-sherman-tank-theres-one-for-sale-on-good-hope-road/

The REALLY good point about r/c tanks [and trains] is that if the system goes t*ts-up, they don’t fall out of the sky in a totally uncontrolled manner to end up a a pile of sad wreckage.

You KNOW that plane or helicopter has to land some time - you HOPE that you can control the where and when.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

John, the henglong isn’t a bad tank. $150 for the full metal upgrade is a great price. Where henglongs usually fall short are the plastic tracks, and plastic motor gears. Some of them have great upper hulls and others are kinda lacking in good detail. The airsoft versions are hit and miss.

Terry

A real Sherman, its a shame that its illegal to drive it on the roads. :frowning: I keep saying that I want one as my next car. the drivers around here are flippen stupid/crazy.

The tiger 1 in red oxide. More mods to be done then paint…

David Maynard said:

A real Sherman, its a shame that its illegal to drive it on the roads. :frowning: I keep saying that I want one as my next car. the drivers around here are flippen stupid/crazy.

Guess you live in the wrong country. Here in UK where some Shermans have the later rubber-cleated tracks, they can drive on the roads just like any other road vehicle. In fact, the UK has one of the largest civilian-population-owned collection of tracked AFVs of any country, even the US.

They have the added bonus that you can park where you like.

tac

Chap worked with me was at Arnhem (ex para).
Tells of running around a corner and came face to face with a Tiger head on… Dropped his rifle and hands up…In POW camp a while and then escaped and walked 150 miles. He got caught waiting for the rail barrier to lift to cross and was stopped by a German soldier on guard…back to the cooler.

He had an odd sense of humour use to say his mother died of Craven “A” cigarettes and sailors in Portsmouth (naval port)…
(Older UK readers will know of these cigs)

Terry Burr said:

Here’s the zimmerit armor I started on the tiger.

(http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/paintjockey/tiger%201/IMG_20140501_150552_378_zps55f07cbd.jpg)

Not being picky , but Zimmerit is not armour .

It is a coating applied to the tank’s body and turret to prevent magnetic mines sticking to it .

Became obsolete with the advent of being faced with sticky bombs and bazookas .

During the closing stages of the war the tanks were not issued with the coating .

It is claimed in some quarters that it reduced the infra-red signature of the tank .

Mike

Sadly, the Western Allies did not have the equal of the German ‘Wampyr’ IR target acquisition system fitted to some Panthers at the end of the war…

tac