Large Scale Central

Questions on the Bachmann 45ton switcher

When I started out in 2005 these locos, in the UK. were being sold at bargain prices, I thought a good idea to own one.

However, my dealer, knew that I was new into large scale, put me off from buying one. Knowing that I had some 1,22,5 Big Hauler stock and some 1.29 Aristo he said it was a big loco. He was right, I eventually saw one elsewhere. That dealer wasn,t so honest as he thought it most suitable for my pike. I never bought one and buy anything from him.

Some dealers will sell you anything to make a profit, it just the way things work. You have to be smart enough to see the differences when you are purchasing items in your scale and large scale is defiantly a scale where all sizes don’t match up well. I also wanted one of these engines and asked about it on this forum and many were saying how large it was and would probably not fit in with my LGB Scale. Glade to see you saw the difference and did not purchase one that you probably would have not liked in the long run. Please notice, I did say some dealers, not all.

trainman

A big part of the problem with the Bachmann GE center cab was that they chose to model a standard gauge locomotive that was retrofitted with narrow gauge trucks. The loading gauge for the locomotive’s body was way bigger than most narrow gauge clearances. I really wish that they had chosen the Whitcomb center cab that was used for the On30 model. It was a true narrow gauge locomotive.

Regards, David Meashey

David Meashey said:

A big part of the problem with the Bachmann GE center cab was that they chose to model a standard gauge locomotive that was retrofitted with narrow gauge trucks. snip.

Regards, David Meashey

Dave, based on this statement I am reading this to say you have knowledge of exactly which prototype locomotive this is based on. Can you elaborate on this please.

Bob Cope said:

David Meashey said:

A big part of the problem with the Bachmann GE center cab was that they chose to model a standard gauge locomotive that was retrofitted with narrow gauge trucks. snip.

Regards, David Meashey

Dave, based on this statement I am reading this to say you have knowledge of exactly which prototype locomotive this is based on. Can you elaborate on this please.

Probably one on the East Coast as he still volunteers for one or two according to the best of my knowledge.

I had a connection through Bob Murray, who was part of management at Bachmann, many moons ago.

He sent me a picture of the pilot model of the 45 tonner, which was perched on a filing cabinet in Lee Riley’s office. Lee was the guy that led the team deciding on Bachmann’s future production.

I was not made aware that Lee’s idea was to produce a SG locomotive on NG trucks, but saw in the picture that it had siderods, just like the 45 tonner (GE) we had here at the museum in Ottawa. I don’t think I had any influence in Lee Riley’s decision, as he made his own mind up; BUT…I did send several notes to that office, promoting the production…and it did happen. I think there was two runs of it. I have two of them as shelf princesses here in the board room, of the IPP&W.

Fred Mills

Guys;

I don’t know where the prototype locomotive may be, but there was a lively discussion regarding the problems with the model at that time on Bachmann’s own forums. It was also mentioned then that the locomotive used to design the model was a standard gauge locomotive that was retrofitted with narrow gauge trucks. I don’t have a photographic memory, but I do know that some people were very upset when their models took out signals, got stuck in tunnel portals, whacked station roofs, and so forth. The mishaps due to its large loading gauge probably led to the model being sold at blow-out prices a little later.

Another near miss was when Bachmann announced they were going to produce a Vulcan Foundry double trucked logging/mining locomotive - not geared, but with a separate pair of steam cylinders on each truck. The locomotive was nicknamed “Spock” by the folks on the forums, who begged for a Heisler instead. Bachmann heeded their pleas, and the Heisler enjoyed much more success.

That is the best recall I can give you, as I don’t have stuff documented in a journal. I just work from memory of those days.

Regards, David Meashey

The prototype was a GE 45 ton locomotive, and a late production model which turned me off. if they had done the more common 45T locomotive which had a different hood configuration would have had better acceptaince IMHO.

AL P.

When writing the back-story for my railroad a bunch of years ago, I went searching for prototype examples for my two 45 Ton diesels. I couldn’t find a narrow gauge version, but these two fit the bill. As Bachmann did, the CVSRy just re-gauged them to 3 foot gauge on acquisition…

Diesel Locomotive M-10’s former life
Dresser Transportation Equipment #D-20-P-3 is shown here at Depew, NY in 1964. Sold to Kovalchick Salvage in 1977. Purchased in 2005 by the Candlewood Valley Scenic Railway. Restored in the CVSRy shops, she emerged as CVSRy M-10 in 2006.

Diesel Locomotive M-11’s former life
St. Charles Grain Elevator Co. (no #) is shown here at Destrehan, LA in 1977 just a few short months before being stored serviceable. Purchased in 2005 by the Candlewood Valley Scenic Railway, she emerged from the CVSRy paint shop as M-11 and served on the railroad from 2006 to 2010. After being completely re-wired, M-11 was placed back in service on May 10, 2012.

Personally, I’m not put off by them at all and was rather glad they got blown out. I paid less than $100 each for 3 of them. Foolishly sold the third. If you can find them as NOS, they are now going for $2-$300.

EDUT to add: The history of those two engines, other than where the picture was taken, is purely fictional.

I looked at this as a base for something completely different. For the price it was absolutely wonderful and such a joy to modify.