Large Scale Central

Porter from Bachmann Industrial

Nice !

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Nice looking little Mogul there. I recognize a HLW headlight. For the ā€˜brassā€™ dome wrapper on my projects, gold decal trim film from Microscale was used: decided to use that instead of masking for paint. What did you use?

Iā€™m not sure of the question. I painted the lamp body. The ring in front came as brass. I left it alone.

Vic Smith said:

Dave how long did that take start to finish?

About 5 weeks, working about 4 hours a day.

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Nice looking little Mogul there. I recognize a HLW headlight. For the ā€˜brassā€™ dome wrapper on my projects, gold decal trim film from Microscale was used: decided to use that instead of masking for paint. What did you use?

OK, I think you are asking about the steam dome. The closest diameter stock I found was copper water pipe. I just cleaned up the stock material and left it unpainted.

Bachmann refused to publish a scale with their early ā€œGā€ equipment. They were competing with LGB, so their equipment was of similar size. (LGB also not known for their scale fidelity). Even today only some of the equipment released is listed as 1/20.3.

The 2-6-0 Industrial Mogul has such a tiny cab. If you attempted to place an engineer and fireman in it, I think you would need to use 1/32 figures!

David Fletcher led the Master Class 1/20.3 Porter build. He chose the Indi chassis because it was cheap and available. All on the market were snapped up at the start of the class in 2007 and were very scarce for several years. I already had one in my roster and was always planning on bashing it to 1/20.3, so his class was a perfect fit for me.

I believe that the Big Haulers line was around 1:22.5 (a La LGB). With a little adjusting I used the Big Haulers stuff for 1:24.

The only ā€œissueā€ I have with that locomotive is that is so light. Can it actually pull any kind of a train?

4 hours a day? Wow! I wish I had 4 hours a day to put to my hobby.

Dave Acevedo said:

Forrest Scott Wood said:

OK, I think you are asking about the steam dome. The closest diameter stock I found was copper water pipe. I just cleaned up the stock material and left it unpainted.

Guess I did kind of abruptly jump from one part to another! Headlight looks like headlight on 4-4-0 I got from Hartland Locomotive Works. Here, hereā€™s a reference, http://www.h-l-w.com/Products/locomotives.html

Correct Mr. Wood. The headlamp was ordered from HLW.

**David Maynard said:**The only ā€œissueā€ I have with that locomotive is that is so light. Can it actually pull any kind of a train?

The light weight of the original was also addressed in this build. The new boiler and tender are much heavier. Lead has also been added inside the boiler.

My railroad is 1890ā€™s narrow gauge. I rarely have over six cars in a train. This locomotive is going to service my mine. I expect it to serve well in that role.

Typical train: Six side dump ore cars and one work caboose.

If you want to maintain a polished look on brass and copper parts, used clear paste shoe polish.

A landlord gave me that tip when he saw my Goldfield Spittoon. He said that was what he used on his suit of armor!

John

John Caughey said:

If you want to maintain a polished look on brass and copper parts, used clear paste shoe polish.

A landlord gave me that tip when he saw my Goldfield Spittoon. He said that was what he used on his suit of armor!

John

Interesting! Wonder where you find that these days in a Missouri county seat farm burg of 8,300. Hmm, we do have an independent shoe store in our 4 block downtown.

Dave, yes I added weight to my Bachmann 2-4-2, but I know I am stressing beyond its design limits. So while it can now pull a longer trainn, I know one day that it will not be able to pull anything.

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Interesting! Wonder where you find that these days in a Missouri county seat farm burg of 8,300. Hmm, we do have an independent shoe store in our 4 block downtown.

Like everything else, Amazon.com !

Chaps, the Porter Masterclass was run in 2007 and was the last Masterclass for that site as people lost interest after that. There was to be two chapters - the first was to build this neat Porter Bell 2-6-0 based on the Colorado Central Porters (and others), and the 2nd chapter was to build the smaller Mathaā€™s Vinyard and Santa Cruz Porters. At the time of the class, only something like 5 or 6 people built the engine during the class, so I never bothered to write Chapter 2 (people do ask from time to time).

I looked on the MLS web site, and Iā€™d be darned, the finished model page is still there and working! Here are some of the finished models from the Chapter 1 class. Dave Aā€™s recent Porter is up with the best of them in my opinion! There are some more finished that Iā€™ve seen that are not in this link. As weight goes, the model in this rebuilt format makes for a much better runner than its out-of-the box design, plus is pretty close to scale for 1:20.3 in our Porter rebuilt state. As for the original industrial 2-6-0 from Bachmann, Iā€™d have to say it was freelance. They used a 22.5 scale 2-4-2 and put a new chassis under it, calling it 1:20.3 Its freelance. It was a good drive for the money. Did they make further runs on these?

Hereā€™s the link to some of the finished models from the 2007 Masterclass:

http://forums.mylargescale.com/27-masterclass-articles/1706-masterclass-2007-finished-porter-models.html

David.

Thank you Mr. Fletcher.

Thank you, Vicā€¦

Did they make further runs on these?

The Big Hauler 2-6-0 and the Spectrum 2-6-0 are still available, so I guess the answer to your question is yes.

This porter got itā€™s first run today. It pulled the work caboose and three ore cars up a 3% grade on wet track. There was some slipping, but I never went over 40% power to get up the hill. A friend took videos. Iā€™ll post a link to that when she makes it available.

Iā€™m pleased with the performance. The Phoenix sound card with the PORT file sounded great. I just love the look of the completed train.

First locomotive in this YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/21skvXdpDeg

I second the notion that the look of the overall train looks great. That is just my kinda of train. I look forward to the video. That work caboose is just very cool and paired with your very nicely done Porter is a classic old school miner.

Finally, the promised video. Del Oro Pacific is the club Iā€™m a member of when I winter in So. Cal. My Porter is the first locomotive in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21skvXdpDeg&feature=youtu.be

https://youtu.be/21skvXdpDeg

P.S. My ā€œBlack Goldā€ passenger service is one of the last locomotives in the video. (project link)