Large Scale Central

On30 outdoors?

You know, lately, I’m learning way more than I want to on this site. :wink: Thanks for the proper answers and in tornados, I try to be deep in the ground in a concrete bunker. Reappear, recover and go on after it has all blown over. The Lord has been very good to us.

This is why I like living in the Pacific North West. The biggest threat is wildfire, and I can take measures to limit my exposure.

Steve Featherkile said:
This is why I like living in the Pacific North West. The biggest threat is wildfire, and I can take measures to limit my exposure.
Yup, wait in there a few minutes, and along comes a monsoon to put it out.

Only kidding

tac, whose favourite pontification bench is outside the ‘antique’ store in Wheeler, Tillamook County, where it rains 109 inches a year, often while we’re there…

Terry A de C Foley said:
... where it rains 109 inches a year, often while we're there...
Ah so. TAdeC "Rainman" Foley. Are you lurking in the Ottawa Valley these days? Yours damply, A drowned rat
Chris Vernell said:
Terry A de C Foley said:
... where it rains 109 inches a year, often while we're there...
Ah so. TAdeC "Rainman" Foley. Are you lurking in the Ottawa Valley these days? Yours damply, A drowned rat
Strange to relate, but I have just narrowly missed a torrential downpour here at the UK homestead, having been appraised of another downpour at the Portland OR end of the communication line by my pal Larry Jackson [sadly, this weekend is marked by the parade of the Portland Rose Festival - never been to it without needing galoshes].

Thankfully, I managed to complete yet another stage of construction of the revised Vibona Bridge line [incorporating the Ignace & Crow creek Extension] before the rain washed us all away.

Alevai, we will be annoying the honest and semi-upright citizens around the area of Nepean later this year, after

a. mrs tac gets back from her ‘errand of mercy’ vacation in the Balearic Islands

b. mrs tac and I get back from our sojourn in Tokyo, where I actually get to work for a living [sad, but somebody has to do it, I guess]

and c. we both get back from our month or so in Oregon…

Like I said, it’s a hard life, but somebody has to do it, even it it’s just to even up the misery all round… :wink:

Even worse, I have to look forward to the arrival of the gauge 1 live-steam Accucraft Royal Hudson #2860 sometime…

tac

Terry A de C Foley said:
... we will be annoying the honest and semi-upright citizens around the area of Nepean later this year ...
I guess that counts me out, since I am not in the least honest nor remotely upright ... "Mummy, why is that strange man wriggling around of the ground?" "Hush, child, and come away at once. He's playing with trains and he might bite you."

It is 90F on the back porch, and too muggy to enjoy strenuous outdoor activity.

Well folks,
I’ve finally done it!
After trying various options for supporting the track I’ve hit upon something that looks good alongside my normal “G Scale” layout.

I’m attaching the rail to electrical conduit and then sinking the it into ballast.

I’ve just put in a short test track (6 feet) but so far so good.

I’ll see how it weathers and then report my findings here.

–dan

Dan,

Did you paint the rail and ties or just leave anaturel?

Hi Ric,
I was using the PECO track, so I was going to leave it unpainted (it’s supposed to be UV resistant)

After two days of struggling with HO flex track I finally gave up and ripped out the short section (9 feet) I had installed.

My joints where the track sections met were not level enough and proving to be operationally unsound.

I think the key is to use some sort of rigid support where the pieces of flex track join and attach the bottom of the track to flexible metal electrical conduit for the rest of the layout.

Attaching the flex track to the conduit helps it to retain it’s shape when you bend the rails into a curve.

I know that Peter Jones who writes for Garden Railways Magazine has used HO outdoors, but it appears that he uses concrete as the base for his rails.
I’ve never been great with concrete, and I like the flexibility of design that ballasted track offers, so that’s my preferred route.

FYI - In two days of operations, my typical chicken grit ballast did not prove to be a problem. I know this was a very brief test, but it is certainly encouraging.

I’m sure I’ll try again in the near future. I’ll record my progress (or lack thereof) here.

Dan,

I am also a reader of Peter Jones’s escapades. I enjoy his rambling.

Please log and keep us informed of your progress, and if not to embarassing, your failures.

Well, things are progressing pretty well with the “On30” experiment in the garden. I have arrived at a roadbed system that seems to work well. I am using the conduit as discussed previously with the added support of plastic lumber blocks at each junction of the flex track pieces. This seems to create a stable base for the rail. So far all is good operationally. I am trying to keep the track clean, but I am not sweating every little speck of dirt. I am running the Bachmann side rod diesel in the photos almost every day to see how it holds up. So far so good… Here are some photos that explain far more than words…

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/dieseldan/_forumfiles/davenport.jpg)

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/dieseldan/_forumfiles/block.jpg)

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/dieseldan/_forumfiles/conduit.jpg)

Please keep in mind that all the trackwork (or lack thereof) is purely for “proof of concept” right now. If everything holds up OK this summer, I’ll try to put a bit more time and effort into the track.

Dan,

You might throw a coat of paint over the track for UV protection. Even simple spray bomb primer would offer a large layer of protection. Good Luck on the experiment, I know I’ll be watching closely on your reports. l’ve always been interested in this.

Dan
How did your experiment hold up? I’ve been thinking of adding On30 outdoor. I am mainly concerned on how the ties held up.
Roger
Coyote Ridge RR [On30]
Post Oak & Otter Lake RR [LS]

So Here’s an idea I’m rolling around in my head. Imagine a garden shed 30" deep, 24" tall and 80 FEET long, with a typical peaked roof and open on one of the 80foot sides but perhaps with a weather proof curtail. That’s what I’m thinking. Look at the picture… I’d mount it at 50 to 54 inches above ground and let the gauge one run under it until I decide if it was a go. Or I could mount it to the fence. Obviously I wouldn’t build all 80 feet at once I build a proof of concept section first. Whatdayathink :slight_smile:

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/larry_mosher/_forumfiles/fenceline.JPG)

Don’t know why the jpg doesn’t display???

OK… now how do I delete a post. Not havin a good day I guess

Well, I keep saying it, but nobody seems to be listening, but PECO 16.5mm gauge track has been holding up in a backyard in North Wales since the late 1970’s. I can’t bleeve that your rain is any wetter than Welsh rain.

tac

Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

I agree about Peco track.
My thought was to get it up off the ground for other reason. Kinda like and indoor RR only outdoors.

Hi All,
Sorry to reply so late, but I have some news.
Although I was forced to abandon operation of my garden railroad, the track has stayed in place. Including the PECO tack. Even in the nasty heat of this summer - 100 F for days on end, and the worst winter on record for the mid-atlantic – The PECO track has indeed held up fine.

Around here at least, be prepared for lots of track cleaning, though!

Dan Sherman said:
The PECO track has indeed held up fine.

Around here at least, be prepared for lots of track cleaning, though!

That’s what batteries are for.

Oh, my. Did I say that out loud? :lol: