Large Scale Central

obssesed with little locos

This should be entertaining

Golf cart rail rigs?? Now those would call for a long stretch of double main for a bit of drag racing!

Lol now there is an idea. Gives a whole new meaning to rail dragsters

Kevin Strong said:

And I close with what has to be the most unique prototype kitbash I’ve seen in a while. One of these days, I’m going to find a 1:20ish golf cart, and this will be modeled.

Kevin, Did you take this picture? Where? It doesn’t look like a rail rider. Looks like it was built for work. Hard to tell with the bit of grass in the way but the tires look like they drive the rail wheels instead of setting on the track so you would need to reverse to go forward.

By gosh your right. I do think the tires are driving the rail whelels. That will be fun to model. Check out the tamyia motors and gear boxes.

Dan, I took that on the Lahaina, Kaanapali & Pacific on the island of Maui. The wire-mesh cart behind it is coupled to it with a drawbar, so it’s definitely a work speeder. The rubber wheels contact the flanges on the metal (railroad) wheels, so in essence you’d be driving in reverse to go forward.

Later,

K

Interesting yet seems impractical. The Golf Cart is rated at about 800lbs capy. With the weight of the custom roll bar and added friction of the hi rail setup, I can’t imagine you can haul much.

I don’t know how many reference photos you have but I found this video that shows the “putter” at 1:50 and again preceded with a trailer loaded with ties at 6:42 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3lZSG9kt6s

Can’t wait to see the finished model!

Dad gummit! Now ya got me staring at the golf cart on the shelf! I just needed another project!

Lou, of course you did. Like the rest of us, you need to have projects lined up for the rest of your life.

Yes, Dave.

I have already said that I want my tombstone to read: “But I wasn’t done yet”

Mine will probably read, “Dave who?”

Kevin Strong said:

Dan, I took that on the Lahaina, Kaanapali & Pacific on the island of Maui. The wire-mesh cart behind it is coupled to it with a drawbar, so it’s definitely a work speeder. The rubber wheels contact the flanges on the metal (railroad) wheels, so in essence you’d be driving in reverse to go forward.

Later,

K

And the rail wheel retract! (Grabbed frame from the video link of Dan’s post.)

Dan Gilchrist said:

Interesting yet seems impractical. The Golf Cart is rated at about 800lbs capy. With the weight of the custom roll bar and added friction of the hi rail setup, I can’t imagine you can haul much.

I don’t know how many reference photos you have but I found this video that shows the “putter” at 1:50 and again preceded with a trailer loaded with ties at 6:42 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3lZSG9kt6s

Can’t wait to see the finished model!

Dan,

The 800 lbs is 2 guys and clubs. Doesn’t say anything about towing capacity! A golf cart can pull that 800lbs load up a 10% grade, so I doubt it would have trouble hauling the trailer full of ties on level track.

Seems like another Stomper project ?

Some how I am not sure cushmann golf cart company never even considered what the carrying/towing capacity of their carts was while driving Railroad wheels on a track.

Hmmm? Since the tires rub the flanges to make the golf speeder go drive selector would be put in reverse to go forward… Does a golf cart go as fast forward as it does backwards? I wonder if the train crew swapped the motor around or something to make it go faster going forward when the controls are actually in reverse?

Another Hmmmm? We may have found the start for Miks Build Challenge 2017. If everyone bought a golf cart then went wild with it.

Todd, I have a gator. Would that work?

May I suggest the next challenge “Build a rail rider”? For those who don’t know what this is, They are homemade speeders for traveling on (usually) abandoned railways. Here is an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZwnhsU-o4U Search for “rail rider” or “rail kart” on YouTube for many more. Endless modeling possibilities.

Why don’t you guys that want one of these toys have your own contest?(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Below is as modern and gol durn fancy as I can get on my pike!

Ain’t got a gulf cart, but do have a hand car(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Give us a crank, will ya?

I’d hate to miss the contest.

John

Actually I thought a rail rider might be fun for those steam era folks. In the spring before setting out buildings and weeds have come up in and around the rails you could imagine it’s present day and you’re running it on your “abandoned” railway. Maybe shoot a video with some scale feet bouncing around.

Dan Gilchrist said:

Actually I thought a rail rider might be fun for those steam era folks. In the spring before setting out buildings and weeds have come up in and around the rails you could imagine it’s present day and you’re running it on your “abandoned” railway. Maybe shoot a video with some scale feet bouncing around.

I do imagine, In the spring before setting out buildings and weeds have come up in and around the rails you could imagine it’s present day and you’re running it working on your “abandoned” railway. I am not sure, with what my railroad looks like after a winter’s slumber, if anything could actually run the rails.

Todd Haskins said:

Hmmm? Since the tires rub the flanges to make the golf speeder go drive selector would be put in reverse to go forward… Does a golf cart go as fast forward as it does backwards? I wonder if the train crew swapped the motor around or something to make it go faster going forward when the controls are actually in reverse?

Another Hmmmm? We may have found the start for Miks Build Challenge 2017. If everyone bought a golf cart then went wild with it.

Todd,

A golf cart (usually) has a 3-position switch: Forward-Off-Reverse, often under the seat. It makes little difference when driving whether the switch is turned left or right, so the issue of whether the cart designer thinks it is going forward or backwards isn’t too relevant. And I bet it goes just as fast in reverse as it does forward. (In fact, I googled that and found lots of q about carts going faster in reverse!)