Large Scale Central

No Frills Picture CD

Hi, I am Ken Smith. No “canned meat” advertising. Tonight, I was doing some keyword searches on line. Looking at ways to better market train photos as I am behind the computer designing and building a new website to launch possibly next month for…yes, No Frills Picture CDs. Needless to say, this site popped up in the Google search. Now, to be honest, I try to stay very impartial to reviews. They are opinions and I do consider honest ones but after all, everyone has the perfect right to honestly review any product. As a model railroader who has written past articles for Model Railroading, Finescale Railroader, the On30 Annual, and Light Iron digest, I understand what someone likes, others dislike. That’s OK. I understand it and I get it.

What I don’t get is why anyone would call me a thief by copyright? To be honest, it saddens me to see anyone accuse someone of anything without doing any form or investigation, or fact finding. Oh well, if you admit that you swipe photos of the net it doesn’t matter that you are not selling them, you are in fact stealing them.

I have over 26,400 plus photos in my collection spanning 30+ years behind a camera. I came up with the concept of No Frills Picture CDs for modeling ideas because I look for detail in cars, locos, buildings, and inspiration when I build something. I took the photos, made the CDs, and make them affordable because I love photography and wanted to make them affordable to anyone else. I researched my shipping method via the Post Office and their suggestion. I even went as far as making them so that the consumer could print them. Today, you can even purchase retail ready versions of most of my CDs at Ozark Miniatures own website because they wanted to put them in their product line.

To those who have purchased CDs from me in the past, thanks! As to how many pics are on a CD? Well, it just depends on the CD and the subject matter. From 150 PICS to nearly 1000. Just depends on the subject. I’m blessed to be in Colorado where nearly 90% of my pictures are from. I’ve booked past and future photo excursions for my material. Anyhow, just wanted to clear the air. Sometimes, it’s better to get facts from the horse’s mouth rather than fiction from the horse’s other end…

Best regards,
Ken Smith

Thanks Ken,
It is indeed best to get it straight from the “horse’s mouth” :wink:
I’m sure no one meant to offend you. It is good to hear that the photo’s are yours and legit.
Producing any calendars with all those fine photos? Or can we buy the CD’s and print our own for personal use?
Ralph

John and Ken,
Thank you for putting up with any interrogation before you are invited to buy a round at the bar. With honesty, you are both welcome here and as you can see you’ll be treated with the same irreverancy as any one else. It is a fun, knowledgeable, skeptical group and yes, TOC is one of us.

<< Oh well, if you admit that you swipe photos of the net it doesn’t matter that you are not selling them, you are in fact stealing them.>>

Gray area in law. Years ago it was decided by a high court that if a person posts a picture on the internet, it becomes free property.
Maybe a “Copywrite” note imprinted on the picture may slow down electronic theft.
Either way, the court systems aren’t interested in prosecuting 275,976,346,456…individuals.

John Bouck said:
Gray area in law. Years ago it was decided by a high court that if a person posts a picture on the internet, it becomes free property.
Actually, copyright laws are very clear on this matter, and court case after court case has proven exactly the opposite (See the recent flap over Cooks Source stealing recipes) Once someone makes something, be it a photograph, story, whatever, it becomes their property for 50 years. Posting it or sharing it doesn't matter.

http://www.photolaw.net/faq.html

Bob, you are very correct. Won’t get off topic too much here but the lay is very clear in this subject, and while others may feel that the court system won’t do anything about, consider it like a speeding ticket…if you get caught, expect to pay when you stand in front of a judge. It won’t matter that everyone else was speeding too…

As to printing photos for personal use, yes all my photo cds can be printed for that purpose. Our first 24 x 36 poster was released last month, and plan to do other projects in 2011. It’s been a slow, safe, and steady growth, and the fruits of the labor are starting to pay off. Still plan to keep the day job for a little longer :slight_smile:

It might get dicey when high tech, top secrets, etc are swiped.
I’m not worried one little bit.
Even my computer says “Save picture as…”
If it were a problem, that option wouldn’t be offered.
I don’t sell my picture library.
I will continue to right click and save, as long as I like, for my own references.
And so will everyone on this site.

That’s all I’m going to post on this subject. Replies or otherwise.

John, you certainly are entitled to do whatever you please. I do find two interesting things about your final statement.

One, your sense of entitlement to save as because your computer offers it. Not sure I can by into that because your car manufacturer offers a gas peddle and a speedometer that exceeds every North American speed limit so I guess you can speed all you want for your own refernces too? Should you get a citation in the future, kindly let me know how that argument works. Didn’t seem to work for me in my youth :slight_smile:

Second, is your ability to bring everyone else into your argument to support your sense of entitlement as you appear to speak freely for everyone else by saying “everyone else does it”. I tried that approach (everybody else was speeding too) with my speeding ticket years ago to but got the same results as above :slight_smile:

The truth is, not everyone else does it. I got tired of spending countless hours looking on line, or in books for photo material, and never finding everything I was looking for. So instead, I began photographing it. Some 26,400 photos later and well over 7000 CDs sold, some folks decided there was a faster, easier, and even better option to “save as”…

Of course you may enjoy all those hours invested on the net searching for them too :slight_smile:

Jon-
You made an honest response with your apology (above) and is appreciated. Your clear explanation of how the site can permit problem postings made a lot of sense and offers reasons why the sensitivity to protect the site.
I have a question: Is the number of LSC postings, as we read printed with each post, consistently accurate? I ask this because the number of posts registered by LCS for John Egert was 18, yet, the number of his contributions was stated to be two or three. I found this puzzling.

Thanks,
Wendell

Wendell,
I don’t know where you cam up with the number 3. Go to JE’s profile and it lists his last 10 posts, as it does with all our profiles.
Ralph

Damnit!! I INSIST on being credited with 10— it is extremely important to my self-esteem, which is constantly on a knife-edge anyway…
Actually, I have been busier than a dual rectum cat with teaching bonsai classes for the Albuquerque Bonsai Club. It started small, but has burgeoned out of human control–you NM people should attend! Our website has been languishing for awhile, but you can still get basic info.
Another good source of pix on line is Edgar van Veelen Home Page-- not as wide ranging nor as exhaustive as No Frills, but interesting nonetheless.
All this crypto-ethics talk is making me thirsty…TAC!!! where’s the Jungle Mix!!!
john

I still remember how to make Subic Bay Mo-Jo. The one that includes kerosene to smooth things out. Shall I send some your way? :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t see doing Bonsia. One shouldn’t run with sharp objects, especially when someone is shooting at you.
I lust had a drink before I turned on the puter. Fine home brew…

Hey John,

Thanks for the review, I ended up buying the MOW CD and yeah there is quite a bit of stuff on there, which I found very interesting. I probably will spring for a few more CD’s since I got my brother into scratch building structures and stuff.

John

Feather— I prefer turpentine-- it has a nicer finish and I like the Piney Bouquet. David–I take DEEP exception to your comments… how many times has YOUR Xacto rolled off the bench and stuck in your Hobbit-like foot??? That, and the heinous tribal burn-mark on your forehead from leaning into your cheap Kmart work lamp… please explain!!..
During the month of April, the Deming, NM, Arts Council will have a big show titled something like “Railroads of New Mexico” at which much historical material will be presented by the SoPac Hist. Soc., and many others, NOT TO MENTION yours truly with a display of D&RGW narrow gauge stuff in 1:20.3. Those Deming folk have done a lot of wonderful restoration things, including the old depot-turned-community center.
For the love of God, can I get any further off topic??
john

Because the origins of the thread is November 2009 Wendell… the post count is updated on all posts, actually your current post count is displayed whenever one of your posts is viewed. So at the time it was referenced the post count number was right.

Greg

John, do you have a CD on pulpwood cars? Illinois Central cars.
Thanks,
Ron