Large Scale Central

Need Answer- Any interest in lead tire weights?

so, make the question: what weighs more: 14 ounces of feathers or a pound of feathers…

then ask: 14 ounces of gold or a pound of gold…

Maybe a trick question for many.

Greg

John Caughey said:

Vic charge an arm and a leg!

I googled lead birdshot and got oodles of places.

$43, free shipping…

In Calif… San Leandro

WOW! I thought lead shot was outlawed years ago!

Depends.

Banned for waterfowl in 1991.

Some states allow it for upland birds, trap and skeet, etc.

There is rumor afloat that it will be banned entirely in a year or two.

Some states like CA have banned lead wheel weights as well.

So the pure lead tire weights are smaller in size than steel, I presume. Better for cramming in locos.

Let’s see a picture of a lead one next to a quarter when you get them, Vic.

As I remember from my flat fixin’ days, the heavier the weight, the longer it got, might not be easy to stuff in. I’ll stick with the shot… no desire to remelt.

The metal clip fastens to the wheel rim.

John Bouck said:

So the pure lead tire weights are smaller in size than steel, I presume. Better for cramming in locos.

Let’s see a picture of a lead one next to a quarter when you get them, Vic.

I use the coated Stick Pro 300 and 400 series at my shop…the website gives the dimensions…http://www.plombco.com/lead-passenger-car-adhesive-wheel-weights/

Maybe someone could find some Mallory Metal at reasonable cost.

Mallory metal (17 - 18.5 gm/cc) is denser than lead (11.32 gm/cc) and can be almost as dense as depleated uranium (19.1 gm/cc). Typical use is in balancing crankshafts where the flywheel is drilled and Mallory Metal slugs are inserted into the holes.

…Ask and yea shall receive:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crankshaft-Mallory-Metal-Tungsten-1-125-round-x-730-long/323019726056?hash=item4b3579dce8:g:9ZwAAOSwfpBaY~7g:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

per volume lead is about 1.5 times heavier than steel…

it appears Mallory metal (an allow of Tungsten) is about twice as heavy as steel for the same volume.

Greg

Somebody send me a 40lb box of gold bullion and I will tell you which weighs more. :wink:

Box 1 arrived, think I lost a pound through a rip in the box, it’s a h e a v y box.

Got box 2, waiting it’s arrival. Hope i don’t give the post man a hernia.

Box #2 arrived a-okay, I will sort them out starting this weekend.

Give me a head count here so I know how many parcels I need to sort out. I have four so far, Greg, Richard, Bill and Dan

Vic,

I will take as many as you can get into a small priority box.

I asked first :wink: … if I get “in” I can even email you the usps label…

Greg

Okay offer is now closed, at five names I will PM each of you for shipping and payment. The recipients are

Greg Elmassian

Dan Pierce

Paul Birch

Bill Barnell

Richard

No more names will be taken as the boxes are packed.

Details in follow up post later tonight.

Okay it’s set now at 5 boxes for the five people listed above. Here’s the deal, I packed FIVE small parcel USPS Flat Rate boxes, each box contains 100 weights, and weights 12lbs.

Check your PM inbox for my follow up message.

It will be interesting to see if mine arrive with all the weights as the box will most likely travel over 3000 miles by truck on some really poor roads.

Not Vic’s problem, just will be interesting!! I will be OK if just half show up!!

Lol one of my boxes arrived with a rip and some weights gone bye bye. I’m going to reinforce the heck out of my boxes with filiment tape so that doesn’t happen.

Greg you’re the only one I haven’t from yet. Please check your Messages.

Hah, that’s why my signature says never use PM’s, only email…

Will email you the USPS small flat rate label right now.

Greg

Shoot, I may not to be able to print it out until Monday, printer issues at home. Also one of the other boxes is now available, do you want it?

Just email me your address so i can send them.